Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Well, I'm surprised it took this long.
    The Fire Hakstol thread has started again over on ss.com. Nice going Goon. Half the fans over there are close to the ledge already, that might just push them over.
    I figured it was time. Venting is always good.
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
      Eidsness didn't play well that was the difference in the game.
      There is a re-occurring theme. Goaltending is the weak link on this team.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
        That, and scoring goals.
        Not going to win many games when you only score one goal.
        There was a lot of action around Kangas this weekend, but no one to bang the puck home. That is where we miss Hextall...well, that, and his stellar one-timer ability on the PP.
        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I watched the whole game...couldn't see any blaring call outs to make, except Kangas played well, and didn't give up any bounces to the Sioux. He was able to stop the first and second opportunities. The gophers got lucky with some things, and some timing was on their side, like the 1st goal. if the Sioux defender was a split second closer to the puck, he could have gotten on it and cleared the zone.

the Fighting Sioux need a sweep next weekend. I think it can happen, it will help the team mentally and prepare them for the stretch run in to the play-in series for the Final Five.
          THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
          1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
          1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
          University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
          University of Oregon Ducks Football
          San Francisco Giants
          Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Eidsness is not terrible but he is not outstanding either. If there is a breakaway or an odd man rush they usually score on him. The main weakness seems to be goal scoring. Almost all of these guys lit it up before they came to UND, but now they are very un-clutch. Kristo is really the only gifted guy and he is a freshmen. It seems they are just throwing pucks to the net and hoping good things happen. They need to shoot to score.

Malone, VV, Trupp, Gregoire, Hexy, Zajac - All of these guys need to score between 15-25 each on the season for this team to succeed. None of them are really in the 30 goal category so it's got to be done by commitee. As brian mentioned scoring 1 goal isn't going to win this team any games. I am not even sure if scoring 3 goals per game is enough.

They are talented and for the most part fun to watch because they all work very hard but they all need to bare down a bit and score!

Comment

The Fire Hakstol thread has started again over on ss.com. Nice going Goon. Half the fans over there are close to the ledge already, that might just push them over.
              That took a while...usually that thread gets started after the first loss of the season...
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                he makes a lot of saves that he's supposed to. He never makes a save that he shouldn't.
                Like we talked about last night:

When UND is tied/ahead, he'll make every save in the world. When UND is behind? Good luck with that. The clutch "this prevents momentum really getting going for opponent" saves are few and far between.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I hope he stays on as head coach for a long long time

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                    I hope he stays on as head coach for a long long time
                    Me too. He's a good coach from what I can see.
                    Now Lucia, on the other hand, has obviously lost it. The Fire Lucia threads have been going on here and GPL for over two seasons now.
                    So, I too hope that your coach remains as head coach for a long time.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                      ...they all need to bare down a bit and score!
                      I hope not, at least not while I'm watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
                        I liked the team's effort in the game, they just weren't rewarded, especially in the 2nd period. If they work hard, those bounces will start going their way and in the net. Now off to NY, where we need to at least split the series.
                        I agree with this. This is not a team that will dazzle you with great offensive talent. It just isn't there. They score goals by hard work and crashing the net. They win games by playing sound defense.

We had a couple of defensive lapses late in the 2nd period that were the difference. We also couldn't capitalize on our pp opportunities on the weekend. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other goalie and/or team and move on.

I think the recurring injuries have somewhat hampered Hak's ability to get 4 lines established that he can just roll out there in the 2nd half, like he's done the last few years. But the team can't, and hasn't used injuries as an excuse. They just have to keep working hard and let things play out.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                          Eidsness is not terrible but he is not outstanding either. If there is a breakaway or an odd man rush they usually score on him. The main weakness seems to be goal scoring. Almost all of these guys lit it up before they came to UND, but now they are very un-clutch. Kristo is really the only gifted guy and he is a freshmen. It seems they are just throwing pucks to the net and hoping good things happen. They need to shoot to score.

Malone, VV, Trupp, Gregoire, Hexy, Zajac - All of these guys need to score between 15-25 each on the season for this team to succeed. None of them are really in the 30 goal category so it's got to be done by commitee. As brian mentioned scoring 1 goal isn't going to win this team any games. I am not even sure if scoring 3 goals per game is enough.

They are talented and for the most part fun to watch because they all work very hard but they all need to bare down a bit and score!
                          I'm sorry I thought I was looking at the UND thread, but this seems like a discussion of the Gophers with some names changed.

Comment

Recruit Update:

Danny Mattson, Omaha (USHL) - 33gp, 7g, 9a, 16pts
                            Derek Rodwell, Okotoks (AJHL) - 41gp, 12g, 25a, 37pts
                            Nick Mattson, Indiana (USHL) - 24gp, 4g, 4a, 8pts
                            Derek Forbort, NTDP U18 - 37gp, 3g, 11a, 14pts
                            Colten St. Clair, Fargo (USHL) - 31gp, 10g, 12a, 22pts
                            Michael Parks, Cedar Rapids (USHL) - 31gp, 6g, 9a, 15pts
                            Brendan O'Donnell, Winnipeg S Blues (MJHL) - 41gp, 22g, 23a, 45pts
                            Brock Nelson, Warroad (MNHS) - 15gp, 26g, 14a, 40pts
                            Zane Gothberg, TRF (MNHS) - 15gp, 9 win/4 loss, 2 SO, 2.10 GAA, .906 save %

Big weeks:
                            O'Donnell - 2gp - 3g/1a for 4pts
                            Nelson - 2gp - 6g/0a for 6 pts

N Mattson is no longer injured, he's back in the lineup for Indiana.
                            Fink has been taken off the list.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

anyones thoughts on Dell starting both games this weekend?
                              Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                                anyones thoughts on Dell starting both games this weekend?
                                I think he'll still go with Eidsness. These games are too important. Cornell is 2-2-1 in OOC games so they need to win more than the Sioux as far as the PWR is concerned. These will be tough games, especially if UND has problems scoring. Cornell is typically good defensively, so the Sioux may have to win some tight games which has been a problem this year. That said, if UND wins Friday, I think he should give Dell a shot on Saturday.
                                'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Working...
                                X