Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianvf
    replied
    Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    I want a peacock feather couch.
    I wonder if they forgot to flush the toilet or something and that's why Mario hustled them out of the bathroom rather quickly?

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    New BMT episode goes to the Blood/Mario/Fienhage crib:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/
    I want a peacock feather couch.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Anytime a player runs afoul of the law multiple times, I think the outside scrutiny becomes much more fair game because it's not just a team or a school matter anymore. It's a matter of public record, and hurts the school's reputation.
    PS, IMHO you seem to be making an overly prodigious and parochial assessment regarding the incident. Time has shown that jeopardizing UND's reputation or any other college or university requires substantially more than speculating whether a player was prematurely reinstated after a several month suspension. Stating that this reflects negatively upon a university's reputation as a whole is pure reductionism.

Regarding Frattin's case, I tend to look at: 1) what are the periodic assessments of the progressive response levels of the disciplined player, 2) what are the regimented levels of leadership accountability imposed upon the disciplined player, 3) what kind of scrutiny and practical reporting relationship has the disciplined player been subjected to during the disciplinary procedure, and 4) what is the leadership's overall assessment of the player's substantive and longitudinal response to the disciplinary process over a predetermined timeframe.

In particular under point #4 above, in order to dispute it one would have to call into question and empirically demonstrate that the character of the leadership accountability structure that Matt Frattin was responsible to is untrustworthy and unreliable. I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume you don't want to go down that road to start pointing fingers and assassinate the character of UND leadership of whom you have absolutely no personal or administrative knowledge of nor detailed understanding of their disciplinary approach.

The greater question in my mind is one of standards, and how much we are willing to bend them in the name of second (third?) chances and winning hockey games.
    To put it succinctly, it appears according to the record that he was suspended and responsible to trusted university leadership who were also responsible to formulate and document a realistic assessment regarding his progress and return. No other governing body was necessary, nor was there any stipulation regarding the duration of his suspension. My question to you is, what further validation do you need to be assured that they made the right decision?

In short, I think that wearing a Sioux jersey should be one of the greatest privileges in all of sports. It is a jersey that carries a long and proud tradition with it, and I think the school should be be reserving it for those players who choose to live their lives in an appropriate manner.
    First you overly patronize with grandiose remarks regarding the UND athletic program and their longstanding hockey tradition (which does include leadership btw), then you decide what standards UND leadership should have and who is deserving of a jersey? Maybe you should fax UND your resume and ask them to give you a call?

Allowing Frattin back into the fold, I think, sends the wrong message around the country. It says essentially that 'boys will be boys', and as long as you're sorry for what you did (and can help us win), there is a jersey waiting for you, even when you are arrested multiple times and one of them is a very serious adult offense (DUI) that comes after a prior arrest. Frattin may have done wonderous things since his arrests, but I think mid-season is too soon for a return, given the gravity of what we all know he did. Hak should have waited until next year at a minimum. I am not knocking the Sioux here - there are a lot of schools that migth have let him back- I just think they missed an opportunity to hold the program to a higher standard.
    The whole country? That's absurd. "I am not knocking the Sioux here"? Really?

As for Denver's dirty laundry, it's simply not comparable - Knock on wood, but no active Pioneer hockey player has been ever been arrested or convicted of a crime while enrolled at Denver in Gwozdecky's tenure since 1994. That's not to say the DU players are all choir boys (I am sure they are not) but so far, when an active DU player gets into serious off-ice trouble, even when the police are not involved, the evidence we have is that they no longer get to wear the DU uniform (See Trotter, Brock).
    Trotter is a very poor validation of what you are attempting to prove. Very little disclosure of Trotter's violations and reasons for his subsequent decisions to leave DU were provided to the public. So since the incident has been shrouded in mystery to this day, it is an argument from silence as an example of the ramifications of "serious off-ice trouble". Do you have any other examples?
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-31-2009, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

New BMT episode goes to the Blood/Mario/Fienhage crib:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Leave a comment:

• ecbrevik
    replied

Anyone else a little surprised by Frattin's mid-season return to UND hockey?
    Yes, I am. I thought his return, if it happened, would come next year.
    Originally posted by Stack View Post
    I would have preferred for Frattin to sit an entire year but I fully expect him to play the second half of this season for the Sioux. I can only hope he learned his lesson.
    This pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Losing half a season is still a pretty significant punishment. I was quite disappointed that, after the first arrest, Frattin was dumb enough to get in serious trouble again and so soon. As with Stack, I would have preferred to see him sit an entire season. It is obvious he will not, so I hope the punishment that was dealt was severe enough to teach him a lesson. If he improves his behavior as a result of this, at the end of the day the purpose of the punishment was achieved. If he screws up again, he should be off the team for good.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Besides, I didn't think my post had that type of tone anyway - I meant when I said good luck to the kid.
    I know, I was just poking some fun.
    Hope you have a good New Year!

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Slap Shot, you forgot your favorite line in your earlier post:

Typical Sue Hockey

I don't typically use, "Sue" in reference to UND although that's not to say it's never been done. Besides, I didn't think my post had that type of tone anyway - I meant when I said good luck to the kid.

PCM - I think knowing he was going to be able to come back made it not a difficult thing in the least but it's not a major point of contention for me.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PCM
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Why do people make it sound like such a noble, difficult thing to do?
    Noble? No. Difficult? Yes.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Brian, Brian. What Frazee Greatest Hits post omits the 190 footer?
    Parise, I missed the best one.
    I must now go to the box for 2min and feel shame.

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

Frazee can't stop a shootout attempt from a Canadian Toews to save his life.
    Nor can he cover his 5-hole in a wraparound.
    he can't even stop a 185 foot shot

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Brian, Brian. What Frazee Greatest Hits post omits the 190 footer?

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Come on, UND fans made a much bigger deal out of Frazee, who didn't get arrested multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Come on, UND fans made a much bigger deal out of Frazee, who didn't get arrested multiple times. And, as far as under a spot light, players at Minnesota have had multiple undercover news teams with cameras follow them around, whereas usually, the Grand Forks paper doesn't report about UND arrests until it has been in other papers for a week.
    that's cause "Long Island Jeff" has a much better ring to it than just Jeff Frazee.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
    There has been talk since the beginning of the season about Frattin returning for the 2nd half. It just happens to be coincidence that 2 of our best players are out right now.

And you think it's classy to come in here and say that? Leave it to a MN fan

Yes, UND has had their share of "trouble with the law" the last few years. But find me a whole college hockey team/program that stays out of trouble ALL the time. That's what happens in college. These kids are good kids, as are most college students, they just happen to be in the spotlight a bit more because they're the big news in GF since it's a small community.

With that said, I'm glad Frattin's back. It'll be good for the team to have him back, I know they've missed him on and off the ice.

Come on, UND fans made a much bigger deal out of Frazee, who didn't get arrested multiple times. And, as far as under a spot light, players at Minnesota have had multiple undercover news teams with cameras follow them around, whereas usually, the Grand Forks paper doesn't report about UND arrests until it has been in other papers for a week.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Rane
    replied

Yahoo came out with their Top 10 Goals of the Decade:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,211289

The only NCAA goal on the list?
    Evan Trupp's OT winner against Minnesota in 2008.
    Marty!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X