Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brianvf
    replied
    Re: UND 2009-2010 Season Thread - The Lawnmower and Cookie tossing edition!

Good game, the score could have been much more lopsided than 3-1, as UND had a boatload of quality chances. Frattin looked really good out there, I believe I heard that he led the team in shots. Hard to believe that he was out for the first half after watching him play. Niagara held tough though, their goalie played well and they have a couple speedsters.

Dell is out with an injury...that's all we need is more injuries.

Ran into Spiewak's dad there...nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
    So Sioux game starts in an hour and a half against Niagara. How about we all stop arguing about the Frattin situation for a little bit and talk about the tourney, k thanks

GO SIOUX
    Shouldn't you be making out on SG's couch?

Leave a comment:

• SiouxTechie
    replied

So Sioux game starts in an hour and a half against Niagara. How about we all stop arguing about the Frattin situation for a little bit and talk about the tourney, k thanks

GO SIOUX

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Because if you'd read what Hakstol said at the time Frattin was kicked off the team, the coach left open the possibility that Frattin could return at some point.
    Thereby making it not a difficult decision at all.

Originally posted by PCM View Post
    Did he do that? No. He chose instead to....
    ...stick with the first choice he made all along - albeit with a slight detour. Big deal. Cripes, I'm not going to genuflect toward Cepis because he stuck around in school for a full year without being able to play any hockey. Now I realize your on-line persona will never, ever, ever give up on this so perhaps I should just bow having said what I've said - which is good luck to him but there's nothing special or remotely heroic about this situation.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-02-2010, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PCM
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    They're understood just fine, simmer down. Did he or did he not return to the team? Yes he did.
    Of course he did. Am I disputing that? No. Did he "stick around" UND or Grand Forks or even the United States after he was kicked off the team? No, he didn't.
    Therefore if he had zero inkling that he'd be allowed back why did he not move on (brian himself said he had other offers and the good lord k made his intentions obvious) once he left campus?
    Because if you'd read what Hakstol said at the time Frattin was kicked off the team, the coach left open the possibility that Frattin could return at some point. My guess is that Hakstol spelled out the conditions under which that could happen. It was up to Frattin to satisfy those conditions.

The easiest thing Frattin could have done was run away from his problems at UND, join up with another team in Canada and continue leading the same life he'd led, free of the constraints that come with being an NCAA student athlete and away from the fishbowl that UND hockey players in Grand Forks live in.

Did he do that? No. He chose instead to take four months away from hockey to get his life in order and satisty the conditions that Hakstol set for his return. He chose to come back to UND and Grand Forks where everything he does on and off the ice will be viewed under under a microscope. He chose to return to come back and take responsibility for his actions, knowing that he'll very likely be held to a higher standard than other players.

Somehow, you think that's the "easy" course. That's ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by PCM View Post
    In what way did I sugarcoat anything? And Frattin didn't "stick around." I'm not even sure you understand the basic facts of the situation.
    They're understood just fine, simmer down. Did he or did he not return to the team? Yes he did. Therefore if he had zero inkling that he'd be allowed back why did he not move on (brian himself said he had other offers and the good lord k made his intentions obvious) once he left campus? Regardless of all that let me repeat that none of my commentary is a slam on him or UND - good luck and more power to him. I'm simply saying let's not elevate his situation to something it was not.

Leave a comment:

• PCM
    replied

PCM you can sugarcoat it all you want and despite what was said I don't believe for a second he stuck around for any reason other than to play again and there's nothing difficult about it. I will leave it at that.
    In what way did I sugarcoat anything? And Frattin didn't "stick around." I'm not even sure you understand the basic facts of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

PCM you can sugarcoat it all you want and despite what was said I don't believe for a second he stuck around for any reason other than to play again and there's nothing difficult about it. I will leave it at that.
    He didn't stick around though...he went back home to Canada. Sounds like he had other offers as well, not sure if he could have left for the AHL/ECHL or something along those lines.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Man, it's been a while since I was on here last. Any update on Genoway? Still showing symptoms of the concussion? The only reason I'm asking is because the UMN/UND series just made it to the first page on my calendar on the phone.
    Still no update on Genoway. He's listed as week-to-week.

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

If it wasn't for hockey he wouldn't have ever been at UND in the first place. Of course he stuck around to play hockey. That's what he is here for. Same as almost all the hockey players on every team in the country.

Frattin needs to play. He has a legit shot at being a good NHL player. Without a couple of more years of college hockey he can pretty much cancel that dream.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    2009 Herald Sportsperson of the Year:

Mark Kauk

An article from 1998 on Kauker:

Kauk, Superfan

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Man, it's been a while since I was on here last. Any update on Genoway? Still showing symptoms of the concussion? The only reason I'm asking is because the UMN/UND series just made it to the first page on my calendar on the phone.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

2009 Herald Sportsperson of the Year:

Mark Kauk

An article from 1998 on Kauker:

Kauk, Superfan

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
    I'm happy that Happy is back. The Fighting Sioux Sheriff has made me beat my head against the wall once again. Whenever he posts I get a feeling in my stomach that I wish I was born in Minnesota. What a perfect place to be, the 494-694 loop is the only place in the state that cares about the "U".
    I live in the loop....and I don't care.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Come on, UND fans made a much bigger deal out of Frazee, who didn't get arrested multiple times.
    Let's be fair now Happy...we didn't make a deal out of Frazee underage drinking so much as his choice of beverage...

That said, I didn't expect Frats back until next season....

Leave a comment:

• PCM
    replied

PCM - I think knowing he was going to be able to come back made it not a difficult thing in the least but it's not a major point of contention for me.
    How did he know that? If you watch the news conference with Frattin and Hakstol, Frattin said he didn't know until a couple weeks ago that he would be able to return to UND and he didn't know until last Monday that he'd be able to play this season. Hakstol said it was never a given that he'd be able to return.

Unless you've been in a situation similar to Frattin's, you have no clue about how difficult it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X