Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Chill at the Big House

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    I think you helped prove my point. This is a gimmick to build interest and give people there an experience. Is that a terrible thing? No. But it can detract from the game. Do you really think people there are going to see a hockey game or to be a part of this whole thing? That's my only point. I know it can build interest in NCAA hockey, and that is never a bad thing since I want to see if flourish as much as anyone. But these becoming common does scare me because when I go to a hockey game, I actually like to see the game. But maybe that's just me and all the other benefits you laid out, which I don't dispute, trump that. If so, I guess I'll be waiting for the sad day when teams give up their stadiums for a home field advantage.
    Michigan and Michigan State hockey do not need gimmicks to draw fans. Over the last 10 years this rivalry has been the most competitive in the nation, with a nearly .500 record. When these teams get together it doesn't matter how much one is struggling, it's going to be a good game.

This event is not to promote college hockey. It is a spectacle to showcase the University of Michigan. But at the same time, it is a celebration of a great rivalry. But it is in no way a gimmick. This rivalry doesn't need a gimmick.
    MICHIGAN STATE
    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
      Michigan and Michigan State hockey do not need gimmicks to draw fans. Over the last 10 years this rivalry has been the most competitive in the nation, with a nearly .500 record. When these teams get together it doesn't matter how much one is struggling, it's going to be a good game.

This event is not to promote college hockey. It is a spectacle to showcase the University of Michigan. But at the same time, it is a celebration of a great rivalry. But it is in no way a gimmick. This rivalry doesn't need a gimmick.
      And this is one of the points that both Spartans and Wolverines can agree on. Maybe certain Gopher fans have their noses out of joint that it isn't them and the Badgers. If that was the case, I'm certain that there would be a hundred reasons why this "gimmick" would be a good thing and not a "gimmick".

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        And this is one of the points that both Spartans and Wolverines can agree on. Maybe certain Gopher fans have their noses out of joint that it isn't them and the Badgers. If that was the case, I'm certain that there would be a hundred reasons why this "gimmick" would be a good thing and not a "gimmick".
        Here is what set the Cold War apart from the other outdoor games that have occurred in the last decade...it was perfectly planned, marketed, sold, executed, AND had the viability to be repeated.

As great as the NHL's winter classic is, it would not have the sustainability to be repeated in the same market with equal or greater success. You can already see interesting waning in that event. Sure people would fill Fenway or Wrigley for a hockey game--but MSU and UM are filling two 75,000+ venues without having to use professional franchises or major (note I'm not saying none) corporate dollars to back the effort.

The University of Michigan and Michigan State University have always been two very forward thinking institutions. Believe it or not the schools have an incredible history of working together for the betterment of themselves and the State of Michigan as a whole (minus that whole Big Ten issue back in the 40's). The Big Chill at the Big House will be a celebration for hockey in the Great State of Michigan. It will not at all be a gimmick, because U of M and MSU will exhaust their every resource to work together to put on a great event.
        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Hardly. If I'm against this type of game, why would I want my team playing in one?

Okay, fine. In defference to STATEdude, replace gimmick with spectacle in my last post. Same sort of thing, just with a more positive spin since it is your game and not mine.

Also it will always be easier to fill a college game vs. and NHL game of this type simply for the fact that the fan bases are MUCH more passionate so they would go to this strickly for the experience year after year. Hard to get that excited about an NHL team until playoff time so they need gimmicks like this more often to keep interest in s long season.... oops, I meant spectacles.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post

I wouldn't quite call it the most competitive in the Nation. BU-BC is up at that level as well. They have both won the national title in that time span and have won Beanpot and HE titles. They also staged an outdoor game. Although attendance was less due to the small capacity of Fenway Park.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
              I wouldn't quite call it the most competitive in the Nation. BU-BC is up at that level as well. They have both won the national title in that time span and have won Beanpot and HE titles. They also staged an outdoor game. Although attendance was less due to the small capacity of Fenway Park.
              I wasn't trying to imply that any others were smaller, just that MSU vs. UM was the most competitive head to head. I really think that MSU/UM and BU/BC are 1a and 1b when it comes to college rivalries.
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Two big differences between the MSU vs UM and the BC vs BU rivalry is the fact that the Boston area could not fit 100,000+ fans into one venue and that there are many more events to pull people away from filling a stadium of that size for a hockey game.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Ranger View Post
                  Two big differences between the MSU vs UM and the BC vs BU rivalry is the fact that the Boston area could not fit 100,000+ fans into one venue and that there are many more events to pull people away from filling a stadium of that size for a hockey game.
                  MSU and UM have two of the largest alumni bases in the country. U of M has one of the largest bandwagon fan bases as well (not saying that with disrespect, just calling it what it is). Their brand is one of, if not the most recognizable in all of college athletics. BU and BC do not have the alumni or regional influence that MSU and UM have.
                  MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as to say Boston fans would not be able to fill a 100K+ venue. While it was a considerably smaller capacity the BU-BC outdoor game was able to sell out relatively quickly even while both schools where not in session. Boston fans like big name events and show up in good numbers to the events.

Comment

• Re: Big Chill at the Big House

Please continue to ignore that Fenway Park sold out in a matter of hours and actually outsold the Winter Classic.
                      time to write new history

Comment

• Re: Big Chill at the Big House

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                        Please continue to ignore that Fenway Park sold out in a matter of hours and actually outsold the Winter Classic.
                        I'm pretty sure that the Big Chill sold 40,000+ tickets on the first day too. It's apples and oranges though as MSU and UM are at a whole different level when it comes to alumni and fan base. It's apples and oranges...really, really big oranges.
                        MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Working...
                        X