Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage: What would a 64-team secession from the NCAA mean for hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sausage: What would a 64-team secession from the NCAA mean for hockey?

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
    Part of me wants to see big teams leave the NCAA just for continued stupid crap like this that the NCAA morality police keeps imposing.

Can't wait for that first TD to get called back and the fan outcry that will ensue.

The NCAA is trying to get a bunch of 18-23 year olds who play a very physical, emotional game to act like a bunch of unemotional robots, all while having 60,000+ fans screaming and cheering their every play. Seriously, where does it end? The stuff like this the NCAA continues to come up with every year rather than letting the kids play the freakin' game and have fun and show passion is getting ridiculous.

I don't expect to see a secession, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, either, if it means sticking the NCAA in their place.

I've got no problem with the mechanics of it...if the penalty occured during the play, it nullifies the play. It's not a dead ball foul, why treat it as one?

That said, there's that ginormous gray area between celebration and taunting that I really hope officials call it in only the most egregious of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      My guess is that the NCAA will need to better adapt to the needs of big BCS schools in order to retain them under the umbrella.
      That is what I was thinking.

I wish the NFL and the NBA funded a 16 to 22 year old "junior" league to stop all the phoney "I am going to school and getting a degree" athlete. Nothing drives me more nuts seeing players who have no business in a classroom setting.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

All it takes is a quick pen to the Conference By-laws of the BC$ conferences and suddenly football is no longer a $ponsored champion$hip. Then they can do what they want while still under the NCAA umbrella.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          Yeah, but right now if you want to be a major player, you have to be NCAA.
          Um... not for nothing, but is it the NCAA that makes Ohio State, Texas, USC, et al major players, or is it vice versa?
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Part of me wants to see big teams leave the NCAA just for continued stupid crap like this that the NCAA morality police keeps imposing.

Can't wait for that first TD to get called back and the fan outcry that will ensue.

The NCAA is trying to get a bunch of 18-23 year olds who play a very physical, emotional game to act like a bunch of unemotional robots, all while having 60,000+ fans screaming and cheering their every play. Seriously, where does it end? The stuff like this the NCAA continues to come up with every year rather than letting the kids play the freakin' game and have fun and show passion is getting ridiculous.

I don't expect to see a secession, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, either, if it means sticking the NCAA in their place.
            Where does this crap end? What about the lineman that you always see trailing the play, arms held high in celebration knowing the ball carrier is about to score? Are they going to call taunting on that as well? After all, the play is still live and a defensive player nearby would essentially be "taunted" by this raised arm maneuver.

To me, the best "penalty" for taunting is having the other team come right back at ya on the scoreboard. I always love the stupid little dances and shows d-lineman put on in the NFL after a routine (essentially) tackle/play. Because it's even better to see the other team come back the very next play and torch the same guy for a score.
            You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
            ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
            ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
            ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Um... not for nothing, but is it the NCAA that makes Ohio State, Texas, USC, et al major players, or is it vice versa?
              Probably some of A, and some of B.

If the biggest 64 programs split from the NCAA, would they all remain big money programs without having any sisters of the poor to pad their overall records or play at the bigger schools' arenas?

Would the middling 18-14 (6-12) Big East school still be considered a power program if it started having annual records of 10-22 (6-12)? And how would programs feel about having to actually play 1/2 their games on the road rather than getting all the buy games or 2-for-1 deals that pay lots of the bills?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                Rather, I think it would make a sort of a super-NAIA. The NCAA is not the sole arbiter of intercollegiate athletics even now.
                What time is sunset on your planet?
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Thanks for posting that link, might be the craziest thing I ever saw! Imagine if the NCAA had that rule in the 80's!? The Canes would have never won a single game!
                  "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                  Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                  The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                  Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    I think the NCAA needs to make a preemptive strike before this happens, and it is very likely it could. The NCAA needs to set up an NCAA title for Football. There are roughly 124 teams in 1-A football in the NCAA. To Maximize revenue and avoid this in the future, set up a 32 team post season tourney. 1-16 get byes. 17-32 play and are reseeded based on the previous round upsets. If the B.C.S. schools want to decline their invite, so be it, but the NCAA needs to set up their version of an NCAA title. So, if a school like Tulane wins it all, They get one of those fancy boring NCAA titles to put in their school and will go on the list as NCAA Champs. I feel like being NCAA Champs has more name/lasting appeal than the money and "B.C.S" Champions, and eventually I think one A.D. would realize this and accept the invite, and so falls the dominoes.
                    nope.

the whole reason for the BCS is to stop the ncaa from getting the money, and if the ncaa could have figured out how to take the money, they would have already done it. so, unless congress and obama make it law, it ain't happening.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                      What time is sunset on your planet?
                      What's your point? That the NCAA is the sole arbiter of intercollegiate athletics now (demonstrably false, hence my reference to the NAIA), or that a major-football breakaway from the NCAA wouldn't turn out to be a separate organization (like the NAIA) and above the NCAA (hence the "super-")?

The latter is at least open to argument, but it would be nice for you to, you know, argue it, instead of just posting a snarky drive-by.
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                      X