Best/Worst Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best/Worst Ice

I have heard repeatedly that ever since the cooling system in Lawson was replaced that WMU has some of the best ice in the CCHA now.
    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      This was my first thought as well. UNH also has very good ice. UMass is probably the second-worst.
      I'd have to agree about UMass. The problem is they have a practice rink as well and only one compressor for both. If they added a second, and there is plenty of room that would solve a lot of problems. The ice is always soft and opposing teams are usually slow at the start as a result.
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
        Gutterson is freezing. Basically a sheet metal barn in VT so 0 outside converts to about 30 inside.
        you've obviously never been to alfond or uconn than.
        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
          North Dakota can't possibly have the best ice. The Ralph just sued (or should I say Sioux-ed) and won a lawsuit agaisnt the installer of the slab / ice plant. The whole slab is being ripped out and reinstalled this summer to fix a bad design.
          Agreed. We definitely don't have the best, but it's pretty good ice.

Hopefully after the fix, it gets better.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
            Agganis probably has the best in Hockey East and I'd say Merrimack has historically had the worst, although it was allegedly better this year.
            Merrimack's big problem isn't the ice though... it's keeping the goals in one place and being able to put them back in after they come out...

Same thing at Maine.
            Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
              you've obviously never been to alfond or uconn than.
              Having been to the Gut and the Barn, they're both cold. I found the Gut to be colder, though. Now, that could have been a function of not being sat over by a bunch of ... gonna be nice here... Maine fans, but it certainly wasn't a function of outside temp: it was WAY colder outside the times I went to the Barn than when I was at the Gut.

I would love to go to UConn...

UNHs ice... up and down. I notice the ice is affected by the weather more at the Whitt than it is at the Verizon, and the latter isn't that much younger... Whitt ice is typically good, sometimes great. Having gallons of water dumped on it by only one of the two Zamboni drivers, and then having the squeegee crew miss half the water at the Zamboni entrance doesn't help, but it doesn't happen that often.

I just realized how picky I am about ice!
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Tecate tonight. Haha!
              Ugh. That was a bad idea.
              Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                Merrimack's big problem isn't the ice though... it's keeping the goals in one place and being able to put them back in after they come out...

Same thing at Maine.
                'Mack's new under-ice stuff looked like it was doing the job, the one game I went to this year. I don't recall noticing a lot of snow, or bouncy, irregular puck movement - at least nothing that wasn't caused by a player! I don't remember the net coming off all that often, either, but again, only went to one game.
                Tecate tonight. Haha!
                Ugh. That was a bad idea.
                Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Come on, no one's said anything about Huntsville's ice?

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Munn Arena at Michigan State has schizophrenic ice! It goes from fast to slow in a matter of days. I am not really a fan of it...but I do LOVE the full wooden dasher, not the plastic crap that gets cut off at odd angles in the corners!!
                    MICHIGAN STATE
                    1966:1986:2007

Comment

Boston College has the worst ice. I'm not talking about the ice at Conte, I'm talking about the ice that keep the beers cold in the back of the Cherokee that collided with the trolley.

Comment

Originally posted by massfire View Post
                        Boston College has the worst ice. I'm not talking about the ice at Conte, I'm talking about the ice that keep the beers cold in the back of the Cherokee that collided with the trolley.
                        Too soon?

Nahhhhhh

Comment

ok...so as of 2 years ago no question that merrimack's ice was the worst...this coming from a person who would skate there twice a week from november through march/april time...the area near the doors was terrible and called the graveyard of ankles. The ice was completely unpredictable from day to day as the equipment was dated as well, but now everything has been addressed and been told that things are much improved.

I will also say that skating a few times @ USMA was a treat though. Their ice was superb
                          "Great moments are born from great oppurtunities.” - Herb Brooks

"MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X