Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So you want to start up a D1 team

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Thanks; I've always wondered why Union College doesn't offer scholarships to the D-I hockey players, and now I know why. That is, if Wikipedia is telling the truth; I won't repeat the relatively new saying here.
    If I remember correctly, Union was also going to be given the option to offer scholarships along with the "grandfathered" schools. They, however, declined to do so and even went so far as to vote for the proposal to remove the scholarship rights from the other "Grandfathered" programs, which I'm sure made them quite popular at RPI, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence (like they were well liked before )
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      If I remember correctly, Union was also going to be given the option to offer scholarships along with the "grandfathered" schools. They, however, declined to do so and even went so far as to vote for the proposal to remove the scholarship rights from the other "Grandfathered" programs, which I'm sure made them quite popular at RPI, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence (like they were well liked before )
      Uh... as far as I understand it the whole "grandfathering" relates to some sort of DIII action back in the 1980s... that's why Union was not allowed. That has no impact or direct relation to what happened several years ago.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Uh... as far as I understand it the whole "grandfathering" relates to some sort of DIII action back in the 1980s... that's why Union was not allowed. That has no impact or direct relation to what happened several years ago.
        The vote a few years ago regarded whether or not the grandfathering arrangement would be terminated. Union voted to end it.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
          University of Iowa Hawkeyes and a Big-Ten Hockey Conference and both are going to happen.
          I would expect to see RIT bump the rest of their athletic department up to D2 just so they could give their hockey team scholorships before that was to happen.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            The vote a few years ago regarded whether or not the grandfathering arrangement would be terminated. Union voted to end it.

Powers &8^]
            That sounds about right... I believe their "I'd be happy if we finished .400" school president was still in power. Point being is that they never had the opportunity to have scholarships so they couldn't opt to do so.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
              Sounds like someone could possibly make alot of money if they opened up a rink in New Orleans.
              The New Orleans Brass of the ECHL played at the Morris FX Jeff Municipal Auditorium before moving to the New Orleans Arena. They got booted from the arena when the NBA Hornets moved in. The Auditorium sustained heavy damage from Hurricane Katrina. Its unknown whether it still could support hockey.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
                University of Iowa Hawkeyes and a Big-Ten Hockey Conference and both are going to happen.
                I can say with NO doubts that no college in the state of Iowa, especially the University of Iowa, will go D-1 in hockey. Iowa is a football, basketball, and wrestling school; alumnus care about spending money on those sports NOT hockey. Also the state board of regents are working to keep sports alive not adding them, since cutting sports are becoming all too often of an occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by g_manpucker View Post
                  I can say with NO doubts that no college in the state of Iowa, especially the University of Iowa, will go D-1 in hockey. Iowa is a football, basketball, and wrestling school; alumnus care about spending money on those sports NOT hockey. Also the state board of regents are working to keep sports alive not adding them, since cutting sports are becoming all too often of an occurance.
                  Unless a school thought they could find a niche for themselves in hockey (so basically... not Iowa or Iowa State), I would imagine that the best thing for Iowa to do as a hockey state would be to keep nourishing the USHL.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Most schools that start the tek towards D1 start as club teams, then D-III and the D-1. Isn't it about time the CCHA has women's teams? Also, any rumors about D-1 teams moving back to D-III? It was teed up on the Laker site and the locals went bonkers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by g_manpucker View Post
                      Iowa State already has a Division I college hockey program. In fact Iowa State played in the 2010 Men's Division I National Championship Game.

http://www.achahockey.org/files/2010...le_results.pdf
                      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                        Iowa State already has a Division I college hockey program. In fact Iowa State played in the 2010 Men's Division I National Championship Game.

http://www.achahockey.org/files/2010...le_results.pdf
                        Iowa State was the last club team to play against Denver, back in the fall of 1981. A pretty mediorce DU team hung 20 goals on the Cyclones, 10 each night, 10-4 and 10-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Iowa State was the last club team to play against Denver, back in the fall of 1981. A pretty mediorce DU team hung 20 goals on the Cyclones, 10 each night, 10-4 and 10-1.
                          Coach Gwoz invited Penn State three seasons back, but the invitation was withdrawn a few days later. IIRC, the game would have counted against Denver's OOC schedule.

I know Gwoz and other D-1 coaches are in favor of allowing teams to play ACHA squads in exhibition games, but the NCAA rules committee has tabled the matter.

FWIW, Iowa State played two against the University of Manitoba in November, losing 8-3 and 10-2. The Bisons finished the CIS season losing to eventual national champion St. Mary's in the semi-final game.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                          X