Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So you want to start up a D1 team

Gang

Wonderful ideas, but Division 1 is effectively closed to expansion unless you start a new conference.

WCHA - 12 teams
    CCHA - 11 teams (1 independent waiting)
    ECAC - 12 teams
    AHA - 12 teams
    HEA - 10 teams

Unless you start a 6th conference and stock it with existing established teams, you're playing independent.

But, just for the sake of expansion, you could do this:
    Eastern Expansion:
    AHA subract UConn, add Navy (stay @ 12)
    HEA add Penn State add UConn (up to 12 and has all the cow colleges in the east except Cornell). All the Eastern conferences are now full.

Western Expansion:
    None. No room.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Gang

Wonderful ideas, but Division 1 is effectively closed to expansion unless you start a new conference.

WCHA - 12 teams
      CCHA - 11 teams (1 independent waiting)
      ECAC - 12 teams
      AHA - 12 teams
      HEA - 10 teams

Unless you start a 6th conference and stock it with existing established teams, you're playing independent.

But, just for the sake of expansion, you could do this:
      Eastern Expansion:
      AHA subract UConn, add Navy (stay @ 12)
      HEA add Penn State add UConn (up to 12 and has all the cow colleges in the east except Cornell). All the Eastern conferences are now full.

Western Expansion:
      None. No room.
      Come on- this is just like Hollywood- just enough reality to make it credible, but not enough to make it real.

We are all dreaming.

It's kind of a "whoes got a cool rink, reputation (or NOT, specifically, and wants it), and if there was a bag of money- what would you do?" kind of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
        If were going to start a new conference, why not start the Pac 10 conference? To my knowledge all of the conference have club teams and have a D II pac 8 conference. Arizona st. has a very solid and competitive D I club team. You could add the two alaska schools and form a solid 12 team conference. The WHL is very prominent in the northwest so no doubt college hockey can work, plus there are some very very good players coming out of california.

Outside of that, I like the idea of Iowa St. or Colorado or Colorado st.. Even the University of Illinois who has a very solid D I club team. If a Pac 10 conference is started and the alaskan schools join it, taking Illinois and Iowa st. to the D I level to fill the vancancies left joined by either Penn St. or Ohio univeristy to make the CCHA 12 teams and keep the WCHA at 12 teams would add big budget universities and names to each conference.

I agree a 5 year plan would need to be in place with a head coach around for a min of 2 years and a full staff 1 year out. Fundraising and arena's should be started about 5 years out to make sure the program gets off on the right foot.

As far as title IX I have no idea how that would work.
        The WHL works in the Northwest because they can sell beer and have fighting and it's relatively cheap to operate a CHL team. But I agree, having college hockey teams in the Northwest would be great, especially from UAA/UAF perspective.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Navy: Just effing get it done already!

I'd love to see the Flames of UIC back in action.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Ok, lots of good ideas:

-Navy
            -Syracuse
            -Kentucky
            -Illinois (both Chicago and Urbana-Champaign)
            -Penn State
            -(Pac-10 schools)
            -Iowa State
            -Colorado
            -Colorado State
            -(SEC schools)
            -Northwestern
            -Georgetown and/or American University
            -Liberty
            -Marquette
            -Pennsylvania
            -Rhode Island
            -South Dakota
            -DePaul
            -St. Louis U

So - why should their athletic departments support a two (men's and women's) D-1 hockey programs? Hockey's a marginal sport in most of this country, and lacrosse (a similarly fast-paced sport) has a lot fewer barriers to entry. Of course we know why we love hockey, but we're not presenting any good arguments for a school to shell out $50M plus another $40M for an arena.
            Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 04-14-2010, 06:10 PM.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Syracuse University having a D1 team would be really nice, but Title IX is going to prevent that for a while
              Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
              when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
              "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                Starting hockey programs at any Eastern or Midwestern school is incremental growth, since the game is already well established there.

College sports support is the largest in the American South. Even though hockey isn't very popular there, the moment some big SEC or Texas school starts a hockey program at the varsity level and is playing for keeps, it won't be long before the other big southern schools try to match.

I'd be targeting schools like Texas, Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee.
                Well Tennessee has a solid club tradition as does Kentucky. If both could go together that would be huge along your lines. Their is a SEC club hockey conference and florida gulf coast has two club teams so enough interest down in that part of florida and talent to play at the levels they are. I think you hit the nail that southern schools are the way to go. Carolina has a very good AAA program in Raleigh. I know Kennesaw St. looked at it a few years back so its a route that should be explored more, especially with the FF in Tampa in 2 years.
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
                  Long road trip to Penn though for most teams, Penn players would live on the bus.
                  Are you kidding me? Spoiled Eastern schools... ask the Colorado and Alaska schools how sympathetic they'd be to Penn State.

As for my vote, put a notch down in the Iowa State column.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    That Navy rink looks pretty nice- fill in the one side, and partials up the ends, and it would looke right at home in the CCHA.
                    The McMullen Ice Arena was built with the potential of Navy going D-1. Right now it only has temporary bleachers, but there is the room to build bowl seating that IIRC would seat about 4000.

Same for Liberty's arena, but the seating there is rather odd. However, they pack the place and already have a pipeline to recruits in Canada, especially in Ontario.
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Rutgers. They have alot more money coming in now because of the football stadium renovations. Plus might be getting alot more money if they do the conference switch. They are looking into getting the RAC either renovated or replaced so either way they could adjust it and put in a rink (the original RAC plans actually called for a rink). They also have alumni who have stated in the past they will donate a large amount of money to start a program.

Florida or Texas. Two of the most profitable college programs in the country. They also have large student bodies that could support it. If either one added a team it could cause another school to add one as well. Throw in the fact that they would likely invite UAH into the new conference and might be able to convince Navy to set up shop and you could have the SEHC.

USC- They have the money and might convice another PAC-10/western school to jump on board. Throw in the two BC schools that want to join the NCAA the Alaska schools and a few others such as Boise St or Oregon (Nike U) and you could have a power conference. The distance between teams would be large but that hasnt hurt the PAC-10 for basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Since, the season is over I am curious to hear what USCHO posters would do if they had a chance to start up from scratch a Division one hockey program. Please try to keep the forming of a BTHC to minium. Here is the following criteria.

1.) The school of your choice has 50 million dollars to use. Any region of the country is fine, it is your choice.
                        2.) Currently, there is a basketball arena on campus that seats over 10,000 with bad sight lines for hockey but they do have a 1,500 seat hockey arena.
                        3.) When do you bring in a coach?
                        4.) When do you fundraise?
                        5.) How do you get around all the Title crap?
                        6.) What conference do you want to play in?
                        7.) Finally name the school.

2.) Depends on which one is easier to retrofit or refurb... 50 mill will go a long way for that. I'd either put more seats in the 1,500 seater and start to make it a real old barn with the right paint job and lower cost highlights. If I have to work with the 10,000 seater I'd plop the rink in the middle and I'd spend the rest on upgrading the bells and whistles in the arena with some consultation with the basketball coaches. Depending on what's left or what gets me to 'reasonable' I'd pour the rest into coaching/training space... weights, films, etc.
                        3.) I assume we'd have to deal with the land of reasonable here. I'd try to pry Dennehy out of Merrimack... after that I go with an current assistant in his early 30s... somebody who will want to grunt it out the first few years to prove himself.
                        4.) When do you not? The question is finding the right pitch and audience.
                        5.) Womens' Golf... Women's Bowling. Most of the tests tend to rely on opportunities though often money is used as an indicator. I'd try to get the headcount in order and then try to weasel on the money bit as much as possible... inflate other sports budgets as little as needed to cross the limbo line.
                        6.) Which ever will let me in the door. Not a lot of options floating around here.
                        7.) Suppose I should answer #1.
                        1.) Lets put it near Chicago... why don't they have a D-1 team?
                        7.) Joliet State University Fighting Ditkas.
                        Last edited by Patman; 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          Rutgers.
                          Here's a kinky idea: Rutgers and Seton Hall starting programs at the same time.

Honestly, I think there's enough big name schools out East that COULD have hockey that they could fill their own new conference. Between PA, NJ and NY alone you've got:

Pitt
                          Penn State
                          Penn
                          Temple
                          Villanova
                          Seton Hall
                          Rutgers
                          Columbia
                          Syracuse
                          St. John's

Bam! 10 team conference, all within a reasonable bus ride of each other.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                            If Penn State forms a conference, the you-know-what will get some legs. Syracuse though, along with tOSU, BGSU, Miami, BG, Niagara, Bobby Mo, Mercyhurst, UAH and my suggestion of UK - that'd be a sweet little conference, especially with a CCHA scheduling agreement.
                            True, but PSU would be building their program up from the ground up while competing head to head with Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Not a great recipe for immediate success. And well, of the five current Big Ten Schools, Ohio State is the Red Headed step child among them. Only one of the five that's yet to win an NCAA Championship in Hockey. a change of pace to a conference that only one school off the bat there would be able to point to their rafters and show a recuit a NCAA D1 Hockey Championship would be good for them, especially if they can get that yearly deal to play a series with Michigan and or Michigan State, or if there is some sort of a Big Ten Crossover deal that lets them play just enough to stave off the BTHC formation.
                            Originally posted by MoFan View Post
                            Syracuse would belong in the ECAC. Pulling out 4 teams from the CCHA would break the conference.
                            They would still have at least 7 teams, and all but Notre Dame and Alaska would be in state. There's a chance that they could swipe Michigan Tech, and they might make a push for Wisconsin, into jumping ship. And there's a few schools nearby that could add hockey as well. A Chicago School would clearly fit in nicely here, Marquette wouldn't be that bad of a stretch either, Wayne State could revive their men's hockey program, and there's a few schools like Central Michigan and Grand Valley State where hockey would be a natural fit at. Plenty of potential for growth here to flesh out both conferences.

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                            Like maybe the University of Buffalo? Lots of homegrown talent and can recruit the ontario leagues well.
                            U of Buffalo would be a logical place to add the sport at as well.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                              The University of Kentucky Cool Cats
                              Originally posted by JB View Post
                              I have always loved that Ashley Judd poster.
                              That's the first thing I thought, too. Put her on the calendar, appropriately attired? I'm not even in their time zone and I'd be an Original Season Ticket Holder. Da-yumn! Wait, what were we talking about?
                              Bugs Bunny - 96
                              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                To say nothing of the fact that any of the Philly schools (not just Penn, but probably Temple and 'Nova) probably have the money.
                                Haha I'm not sure that we do have the money, but I will do whatever it takes to bring college hockey to Philly in my lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                                X