Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Wow, grantfan, maybe you should learn to read a little more effectively. JJfP said, first of all, you could ALMOST place the blame on the captain, and further, that 19 guys lost this game. And I have to concur. It was incredibly dumb to take the first penalty, and while I agree that the second penalty was a bad call, in a tie game with less than a minute left, a captain needs to make sure he isn't even in position to have that penalty called.

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Lastly, I almost have to place this loss squarely on the shoulders of the captain. Taking a penalty with 2:44 to go in a tie game (when you are driving toward the net with the puck) is dumb. Coming out of the box after your teammates killed off that penalty to take another one with 26 seconds left is even dumber.

But, alas, this is a team sport. 19 guys lost that game.
    I'm also willing to give JJfP the benefit of the doubt since the post came so shortly after what is one of the more confounding losses of the Jackson era, especially considering how most of these guys had ended the previous season. I almost blasted the team as well, but decided to post in a different direction. Believe me I have directed a few salvos at the team following a sleptwalked to loss.

Outside of me and perhaps one or two others, JJfP has been a fan and supporter of this program for as long as anyone around. Before you shoot your mouth off, perhaps you should ask the players what they think of some of the longest tenured supporters around here. I don't need to. I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      I hope everyone got a chance to see coach Jackson's comments following the game. One of the quotes that didn't make it into anyone's game story that I saw was a classic. "Guys don't get 10-minute misconducts here. I can abuse the officials. They can't." Minella will sit a game apparently for his indiscretion. I think following both games he was a little freer in his comments than in past years. While their personalities couldn't be more different, occasionally, Coach Jackson reminds me of Lou Holtz with some of his more colorful comments.
      When Coach said that, I had to bite my lip, hard. It was a great line, but I was trying to be professional.

[You know, other than the fact that I was wearing a UAH third while doing post-game interviews, which got me a weird look from Kyle Palmieri that I undoubtedly deserved.]

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        When Coach said that, I had to bite my lip, hard. It was a great line, but I was trying to be professional.
        You and me both.

[You know, other than the fact that I was wearing a UAH third while doing post-game interviews, which got me a weird look from Kyle Palmieri that I undoubtedly deserved.]

GFM
        I'm willing to bet after being born on Long Island and raised up in New Jersey, anyone west of about Philadelphia gets a weird look.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
          You don't like the constant parade to the penalty box during the first month of the season, JJFP, I presume because of the refs, but you just haul off on "the captain" and blame him for the opening night loss to Huntsville. Wow!

That comment was the absolute harshest comment I have ever seen on this site singling out a young man. No margin for error (JJTC - JJThe Coach - didn't think the second call was proper at all), just pull the kid out of the line and stick the dagger in his back. With "fans" and "support" like yours, JJFP, the boys never need to play road games.

Whatever it is that "the captain" has done to not only not be one of your favs but to be your whipping boy for this, his senior year, it must have been something.

I suggest "the captain" be stripped of his 'C' after doing something so egregious and unseen in all of your years of watching hockey. Do you second, JJFP?
          Considering that Ryan does all of the scholar/student tours of campus for JJfPs students when she brings them on to campus, he no doubt can live with her comments, and almost assuredly expected them from her.
          Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
          Courage to change the things I can,
          And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Actually, Erik Condra did the last talk. Ryan Thang is picking up where Condra left off.

Anyhoo...

More hockey is just around the corner. I have to miss the first period of Thursday's game to present my program to the school board. Bleh. I've been trying to decide if I want to wear my ND jersey while I present to the board, or come to the game dressed in nice work clothes. It's either that or I change in a bathroom somewhere...

This early in the season, there isn't much to go on statistically. And using last year's stats means next to nothing in October.

Providence has played 2 games thus far, but only one of them counts as their first game was an exhibition game against a Canadian college. If it did count, their record would be the same as ND's thus far.

Sophomore defensemen Daniel New (2 points) and David Brown (1 point) are among their "top" scorers (really how can you say that after one game?). As NDHockey9 pointed out, soph Matt Bergland is their returning leading scorer, but registered no points last weekend in the game that counts. Other Friars to watch include Chris Eppich and Jordan Kremyr.

If you include their exhibition game, PC takes about 5.5 penalties/game. They are 0% on the PP, but 100% on the PK. Their top PPG scorer graduated, so Bergland now has that distinction, scoring 3 PPG's last season. Last season, their PP worked 12.9% of the time, but their PK struggled at 72.4%. But again, that was last year.

If you include their exhibition game, PC is averaging 2.5 GF/game and 3.5 GA/game. Both averages are improvements on last year's numbers.

Alex Beaudry so far has killer numbers in the one game that counts. He is 1-0 with a GA of 1.0 and a save % of .971. Justin Gates played in a third of PC's games last year, but had worse numbers than Beaudry's. I expect Beaudry to start both nights.

ND's guns include Kyle Palmieri, Thang, Kyle Lawson, Kevin Deeth and Billy Maday each with 2 points. ND has another 5 guys with 1 point each. Remember that ND is without the services of Christiaan Minella to start off.

ND is averaging a scary 8.5 penalties/game thanks to some costly penalties last weekend. I expect Coach Jackson's discipline to kick in and that number to begin to ebb. ND's PP sits at 21.4%, while their PK shut down UAH 92.3% of the time. 4 different guys have gotten on the special teams scoresheet.

ND is also averaging 2.5 GF/game, but gives up 2 GA/game.

Brad Phillips and Mike Johnson should split the weekend in net. Phillips' GA is, oddly when you count time out of net, 3.03. His save % is a respectable .903. Hopefully the D in front of them will work to clear those rebounds out.

In the spirit of lessening the trek to the penalty box, remember this boys:

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

So I'm trying to decide which is worse: Opening a mailing today from a local funeral home about pre-planning for the inevitable, or watching ND lose to Providence.

I know, I know, it's early, but if someone had asked 10 days ago which of the 2 teams would be 2-0 and which would be 1-2 at this juncture, I would've guessed ND for the former and PC for the latter. Probably explains why I've never won the lottery.

I'm still seeing no defense on the ice. At least from the Irish. Brad Phillips needs some help from at least 2 of the guys in front of him, but PC's 3rd goal was really the result of bad puck control at the blue line by Ian Cole and Sean Lorenz. I fear that Phillips is the type of kid who can't shake things off, but 10 days ago that wouldn't have worried me because ND is the best defensive team in the nation. They rescue goalies. Boys, Brad needs a line.

And where's the communication? (I'm prepared for the bomb that will be dropped on me from you-know-who for this...) Our captain needs to take the cheerleader outfit off and put his leadership skills to work. Granted, I'm not privy to his lockerroom talks, but there doesn't seem to be a sense of panic-free urgency on the ice. I can't believe that this team puts stock into pre-season polls because polls don't win games.

Okay, rant over. Get 'em tomorrow night boys. BU's champin' at the bit.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Does anyone else think the defense puts up a better line for Tommy then they do for Brad?
                Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
                  Does anyone else think the defense puts up a better line for Tommy then they do for Brad?
                  It's hard to tell right now. The easy answer would be, "Yes," simply because they won that game. They gave up so few shots in front of O'Brien and Phillips gave up some juicy rebounds. Let's see how they do in front of Johnson tomorrow (well, tonight).

I reminded myself that last season ND was 2-3 after their first 5 games and I was quite pleased with the season as a whole...well, maybe not the last game, but I like seeing records set, regular seasons won, championships won...

And exactly 2 seasons ago, I threw the then-captain and my 2nd favorite player of all time under the bus for terrible decisions with the puck that led to goals for the opponent up in Big Rapids, as the team got shut out by a mediocre FSU, and look how that season turned out!

Comment

I'm telling myself that there's no way this team will stay this out of synch for more than another couple of weeks...

(And for all of that, I'm not even convinced we should have lost this game.)
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                      I'm telling myself that there's no way this team will stay this out of synch for more than another couple of weeks...

(And for all of that, I'm not even convinced we should have lost this game.)
                      Out of synch seems to be just about the most accurate way to describe what's going on.

Even in the win last Saturday I'm not sure the team was working as well together as we have come to expect. It was more tap, rack and bang, and there's your game winner off a rebound of a wicked shot by an all-American. Talent coming through as opposed to hard work and smart, focused play for 60 minutes to put away an opponent they SHOULD beat. This is three consecutive games of less than acceptable effort, IMO. Even during the second half of the 2007/08 season, when the team went through a prolonged failure to solve some pretty significant offensive woes, the effort didn't tend to lag. There has been way too much individual play, from the freshmen right through to the senior leaders.

The coaching staff looks more frustrated than I've seen in Jackson's tenure here. After commenting that he could abuse officials but his players couldn't, Jackson proceeded to do just that last night to Langseth, calling him out following a phantom elbow call to Kyle Palmieri. I'm actually quite surprised his comments didn't get a follow-up bench minor, so sarcastic was the vitriol. And following PCs second goal I saw more disappointment reflected by the actions of the coaches than at any time in recent seasons.

But three games does not a season make. There's been a fair amount of upheaval in the line pairings through 3 games, and some juggling even within the game last night. As people get used to who is on either side of them, and roles are finalized, the passes will connect, the individual play will appear to subside, and the wins will come with alarming frequency.

Comment

Somebody certainly threw an elbow when Palmieri got called there. I wasn't sure if it was Kyle or the PC player, but somebody near me was sure it was Kyle.
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            After commenting that he could abuse officials but his players couldn't, Jackson proceeded to do just that last night to Langseth, calling him out following a phantom elbow call to Kyle Palmieri. I'm actually quite surprised his comments didn't get a follow-up bench minor, so sarcastic was the vitriol.
                            Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            Somebody certainly threw an elbow when Palmieri got called there. I wasn't sure if it was Kyle or the PC player, but somebody near me was sure it was Kyle.
                            From my view, admittedly from the other end but I had a clear line of sight, the elbow was a bit bogus. Palmieri looked to be trying to brace himself to battle for the puck and his arm came up but there was zero contact with the PC player. The PC player threw his head and body back, clearly attempting to influence the official. My old rule book says simply the player cannot use his elbows in a manner as to foul an opponent and I don't believe the language has changed much, if at all, in the current version of the rules. This isn't the NBA where simply throwing a punch is grounds for ejection and suspension. Contact is needed for some penalties. Slashing isn't one for instance as the rule book further clarifies that it is the gesture and whether or not contact occurs isn't the issue. Not so with elbowing. The penalty should have been a diving call (not simply an embellishment penalty added to a Palmieri minor) not in fact the way it was called. I believe Jackson's comment was basically "that's why your only good enough to be a linesman in this league." It was audible to me from across the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              I wondered what you thought of that.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I wondered what you thought of that.

GFM
                                I don't like the "...calling each other out..." It should be "...calling ourselves out..."

I know this ship will right itself very soon, but I hate crossing the wake when the water is already choppy.

Comment

Working...
                                X