Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

I guess its been 2296 days since Michigan beat Ohio State in football. If you are from Columbus and didn't know the score from last nights Ohio State hockey game and wanted to check out the local paper for that information, the fact that its been over 6 years since the Buckeyes lost to that team up north would be readily apparent. You may have to thumb through it a few times before you find the hidden 150 word article telling you that OSU won their hockey game. I know the South Bend Tribune often goes overboard in their coverage of the Notre Dame football program, but at least in today's paper (both online and print edition) there is a fairly comprehensive story of the game, boxscore summary included.

Last night was a microcosmic example of Notre Dame hockey 2009/2010. We looked lost, slow, and outworked one period, completely controlled the action, tempo and territory the next. Appear to outplay an opponent for 20 minute, yet come away losing the period. Another 2-man advantage with 4 or 5 shots, but no goal. Another game decided in the third period. Another night where the goalie makes some "how'd he do that?" saves and then lets in three goals and each time someone on either side of you says "man, I bet he'd like that one back."

One thing about this group of players is certain. They have authored the worst collection of third periods I have EVER seen. In 37 contests this year they have won the game in the third period (or OT) twice. The third period has sure cost them a whole bunch of wins, but only the 3rd MSU game and the first BGSU game had a third period or later game winning goal. Hell, you can throw the shootouts in there as well. Last year 3 for 3 in the skills competition, this year 2-5. Too bad hockey isn't a 40 minute game. No that's not fair to the other team. Too bad we don't have more 60 minute players.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      Last night was a microcosmic example of Notre Dame hockey 2009/2010. We looked lost, slow, and outworked one period, completely controlled the action, tempo and territory the next. Appear to outplay an opponent for 20 minute, yet come away losing the period. Another 2-man advantage with 4 or 5 shots, but no goal. Another game decided in the third period. Another night where the goalie makes some "how'd he do that?" saves and then lets in three goals and each time someone on either side of you says "man, I bet he'd like that one back."...Too bad hockey isn't a 40 minute game. No that's not fair to the other team. Too bad we don't have more 60 minute players.
      The same could be said about OSU this year. I caught the first period of the game on the internet and it looked slow and plodding. Sorry I missed the last two. This still doesn't change my mind on coveting your asst. coach and former Buckeye...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        Apparently, OSU is streaming the video free this weekend. Go to their website and sign on to watch.
        Need some hockey fix for this weekend, where was that link? Hoping to watch tonights game, but the only thing I see is the one where you have to register with them for like 7 bucks a month to watch it.

Comment

OSU hasn't sold out either game yet, which is kind of sad... ...OSU needs to get with it and start getting some push for their program. And before anyone from the other side jumps on me remember I am a 4 plus decade fan, and as long as Notre Dame has had a hockey team, they could at least draw decently for playoff games. Chances are the games at the old place will be full (both pretty much were last season) but even with that huge on campus building it just has the appearance that hockey is an afterthought. Just like it was around here for far too long.
          IHF, Buckeye fans have been suffering this lack of commitment by the school for decades. No need to heckle or scold us. Hope springs eternal that change will happen, and happen soon. As has been said numerous time on this forum, put a decent coaching staff in place and a consistently winning team on the ice and fans will make a commitment to the team.
          Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            Need some hockey fix for this weekend, where was that link? Hoping to watch tonights game, but the only thing I see is the one where you have to register with them for like 7 bucks a month to watch it.
            The link, below, has the schedule of video events for OSU. If tonight's feed is the same as last nights, when the game starts one only has to click on the 'watch now' link. I hope it works for you. Last night the feed was really slow through the first period (might have been issues at my end) but was essentially real-time after that.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/liv...b_oem_id=17300
            Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
              IHF, Buckeye fans have been suffering this lack of commitment by the school for decades. No need to heckle or scold us. Hope springs eternal that change will happen, and happen soon. As has been said numerous time on this forum, put a decent coaching staff in place and a consistently winning team on the ice and fans will make a commitment to the team.
              I am not heckling or scolding anyone. I am speaking the truth. There is no reason that OSU CAN'T put a winning commitment forth. But they have yet to do so, and yet to show any evidence it is happening soon. And continually letting high school wrestling (really? High school wrestling???) evict the team from their home digs for a playoff series is hardly a sign that commitment is coming. And I'm not so sure the fans ARE waiting to come out of the woodwork. People in Columbus thought it was "cute" that the team was going to play "old time hockey" in the Ice Rink. Even if it meant that potentially 2000 fewer fans would see it than otherwise would have had the chance. This attitude doesn't help grow our sport. Notre Dame subway alums are football fans first second and third. But most know of a decent athletic tradition going beyond Notre Dame stadium to at least some minimal degree. I have yet to meet an OSU fan (other than those posting on a HOCKEY specific website) that cares a whit about anything other than football. Even when their basketball team challenges for a Big Ten title, or their hockey team plays well all year and makes a frozen four. A campus with 4 times as many students in a community with 5 times as many people -- that can allegedly support an NHL franchise -- should NEVER allow a playoff game to be moved to a building like the OSU Ice Rink.

To the OSU hockey fans I offer an early congrats on a series win. Good luck beyond this weekend.

Comment

I just realized that the salt on this open wound of a game is that Kevin Deeth just surpassed Mark Van Guilder for the Iron Man award. Mark Van Guilder. A player who played 100% in every game I ever saw him play with the possible exception of one game in Big Rapids when he took 2 penalties and ND got shut out. He played 99% that night.

God, how I miss leadership like that. God, how this team misses leadership like that.

Things happen for a reason. I can't wait to understand the reason for this season.
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

This senior class showed its real class this year NO LEADERSHIP at all. Hopefully someone will step it up this off season and try to pull this team back together. Seem like hockey season just started to soon to be done.

Comment

Here's how I felt watching the game tonight (and much of the year, really):
                    *****http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick006.gif******

Here's how the team appeared to play in this game tonight (and much of the year, really):
                    *****http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep012.gif******

Here's what the coaching staff hopefully was doing to them on the bus ride home from Columbus tonight (and maybe what wasn't happening enough all year):
                    *****http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry007.gif******

Comment

At least Notre Dame has some company among the bottom 4 in the CCHA. None of us are seeing either the second round or even got the chance to see our teams push it to a third game. The first round of the CCHA playoffs pretty much stunk. Home teams won all 8 games, by the combined score of 43-8. Some awful hockey the last two nights. Only the Friday ND-OSU game was decided by fewer than 3 goals. 4 were decided by 4 or more goals. All series winners scored at least 7 more goals than the losing teams. Real compelling hockey folks. In contrast the ECAC has three series going to a third game and the road teams have outscored the home guys 25-19. Only Princeton failed to show up (their team AND their fans. At least the OSU fans scooped up virtually all of the AVAILABLE tickets).

As for Notre Dame... what a shame that this group of players let the opportunities that were placed in front of them go to waste. As much as the recent teams could be defined by their character and leadership, this collection seems more to be remembered for the lack of those same things. And before anyone wants to use the excuse of injury one more time, did you catch Jackson's postgame comment following game? When he speaks of recuperating values and a lot of things needing to change, including perhaps some personnel, is there much doubt that something was wrong this season beyond injury?

Comment

... And before anyone wants to use the excuse of injury one more time, did you catch Jackson's postgame comment following game? When he speaks of recuperating values and a lot of things needing to change, including perhaps some personnel, is there much doubt that something was wrong this season beyond injury?
                        The only beef I have with that is: Fat lotta good it does now.

I've been thinking a lot about Ian Cole and Joe Lavin lately. One has to be thinking, "I came back and stuck it out another year...for this?" And the other has to be thinking, "What on earth have I gotten myself into?"

Next year's leaders better make some phone calls to all those leaders (with and without letters on their sweaters) that Coach Jackson has had the previous 4 years and ask for some much needed advice.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          I've been thinking a lot about Ian Cole and Joe Lavin lately. One has to be thinking, "I came back and stuck it out another year...for this?" And the other has to be thinking, "What on earth have I gotten myself into?"
                          And one has to wonder also, will Cole come back again? He was this close (fingers an inch apart) to leaving after last season ended. The Blues apparently believe since he was so close to leaving before that if they want him to this time around he will. I have to believe 2 concussions this year, to go along with a couple previous ones, will play strongly into his decision.

Next year's leaders better make some phone calls to all those leaders (with and without letters on their sweaters) that Coach Jackson has had the previous 4 years and ask for some much needed advice.
                          Leadership is up for grabs right now, to put it mildly. I also agree that a few guys from the last couple of teams may have some valuable words to offer. If I'm coach Jackson I'm certainly not to proud to seek them out and offer them the floor with a few guys who they may be identifying as leaders. I don't know that anyone left on the team has earned the right yet to an C or A on their sweater.

One thing I certainly believe is if there is one guy connected to this program who feels they gave their all this year, don't let the door hit you on the way out. For once, the university is offering all the support and the players may have been the component that dropped the ball. Ground breaking ceremonies for a new arena in April are the final piece of the puzzle and I think starting right now it is time for the players to commit to making the final season in our original home a memorable one.

Its odd that just as eager and quick it happened to have both leaders and followers buy into Jackson's concepts and philosophy 5 years ago, this year it was just as quickly abandoned. If you would have told me that the players I saw standing around and letting UAH score a game winning goal with 5 seconds to play was an indication of the hockey we would see -- more or less -- all year, I would have had you committed. Until the 4 minute mark of the game last night I was never quite sure (insanely angry posting aside) that what I was seeing was really happening. I kept thinking that given one more game, one more opportunity, they would start playing what I thought was Notre Dame hockey. Must have been a looooong ride home from Columbus last night/this morning. For all of us.

Comment

At least Notre Dame has some company among the bottom 4 in the CCHA. None of us are seeing either the second round or even got the chance to see our teams push it to a third game. The first round of the CCHA playoffs pretty much stunk. Home teams won all 8 games, by the combined score of 43-8. Some awful hockey the last two nights. Only the Friday ND-OSU game was decided by fewer than 3 goals. 4 were decided by 4 or more goals. All series winners scored at least 7 more goals than the losing teams. Real compelling hockey folks.
                            Welcome back to the basement guys, beer's in the same place it was when you left........wait. Why are you back? And hell, I'm more excited about Western hockey than I've been in a few years. A 3rd game would have just screwed Alaska, and it's fun to see the smaller guys with a shot at the NCAA's.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

And one has to wonder also, will Cole come back again?
                              For reasons which shall be kept to myself, I believe he's gone. I also believe that after being talked into coming back for this season, had he been a captain, he may have bought into the team thing more wholeheartedly. He would have felt more needed. I think he would have made a good leader. And I know he could've led even without that letter (see: Brock Sheahan and Bryan D'Arcy). But we can play this "what if..." game all off-season. It won't change the poo that was the play of this team from October to last night.

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan
                              Leadership is up for grabs right now, to put it mildly.
                              I don't know that anyone left on the team has earned the right yet to an C or A on their sweater.
                              I will go out on a lonely limb and state that I think Joe Lavin could be a good choice to wear a letter. He came in the middle of a mediocre season and produced some much needed offense (although it still didn't help much). He was vocal on the ice. He hasn't had the success that some of the players left have had, so his head may not be as swelled (although, one has to believe that those swelled heads should have been deflated on the bus ride home last night). But what do I know? I didn't like Ryan Thang as the C and look how he turned out. Oh, wait...

It sucks mulling the off-season thread on March 7th.

Comment

Nice honor for Mike Johnson being named to the CCHA All Rookie team. Personally I have been singing Riley Sheahan's praises all year as I think he's been -- far and away -- our standout freshman, but obviously there are quite a few first year players who scored plenty this season and its understandable he slipped down to honorable mention. Still that's decent recognition and here's to more good things to come from both of them in the coming season.

I think more than individual accolades, a simple statement from Maize over on WCH says all that needs to be said and will be (hopefully) my last post on the 2009/2010 season:

Originally posted by Western College Hockey
                                I guess there's not much to say about the first round except: 1.I can't believe Notre Dame's season is already over, and that a team that talented ended up being so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X