Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Should be an interesting series next weekend in the barn (seating capacity about 400?). My initial thought after seeing the ND-MI score last night was that ND is pulling an Ali an playing the rope-a-dope: lull teams to sleep by appearing to struggle (all season) only to awaken in the last rounds (post season) to put them away. Yeah, I know, ND has underachieved much of the season (as has OSU), but frankly no team scares me as much as the Irish in the post season. All of their potential impact players healthy, ending the regular season on a winning note against a talented MI team (mini-Hunwick notwithstanding), winning the post season is critical for saving face (so to say) and they should be really motivated. I won't venture a guess as to the outcome next weekend, but I suspect it will be an intense and hard-fought series. And the winner gets Miami again (sheesh). Good luck!
    Engelwood jack, that's the way.

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post
      This team will make you pull your hair out, won't it?
      ...Jekyll and Hyde. And we're all Mr. Utterson.

We all would have found the Notre Dame lockerroom very interesting between the first and second periods. Very interesting indeed.

Nice to see the boys close the regular season on a winning note. Nice to see the transformation -- in the positive direction -- between the first and second periods. It is tiresome playing the "what might have been" game, and that was in full view last night.

Originally posted by Arpod View Post
      Should be an interesting series next weekend in the barn (seating capacity about 400?).
      I think its more like 1000.

...ND has underachieved much of the season (as has OSU), but frankly no team scares me as much as the Irish in the post season.
      Healthy and playing as they are capable there isn't anyone in the CCHA ND CAN'T beat. (Miami looks to be unbeatable by anyone right now but that's a different story). Absolutely NO idea from night to night who we will see, though.

And the winner gets Miami again (sheesh). Good luck!
      The CCHA re-seeds after each round. An upset from teams 10-12 and the OSU-Notre Dame winner avoids Miami for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        However, after the first period, the team that continues to confound, found the net. 5 times. Over the last 40 minutes, the team as a whole played well. Man, how I wish this team could've played for ND the whole season.
        Give credit to ND for making the comeback and playing with some intensity as the offense was due for some production. I think 60% of the offensive output is due to facing a third string goalie, which ND won't see under any normal circumstances through the regular season or playoffs. Hogan probably allows goals one softie, but not all three of the goals (2,3,5).
        Lake State could easily sweep Michigan out of Yost next weekend if Hogan remains injured.

Cole and Lawson need to tune it up as the first D pairing. What were they doing on the second Michigan goal last night? Having a conversation about what kind of beer they were going to buy last night or what kind of contracts STL and Carolina might offer? I'll (Cole) jab him, you (Lawson) two-hand him, maybe Wohlberg won't score that way.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
          Give credit to ND for making the comeback and playing with some intensity as the offense was due for some production. I think 60% of the offensive output is due to facing a third string goalie, which ND won't see under any normal circumstances through the regular season or playoffs. Hogan probably allows goals one softie, but not all three of the goals (2,3,5).
          Lake State could easily sweep Michigan out of Yost next weekend if Hogan remains injured.

Cole and Lawson need to tune it up as the first D pairing. What were they doing on the second Michigan goal last night? Having a conversation about what kind of beer they were going to buy last night or what kind of contracts STL and Carolina might offer? I'll (Cole) jab him, you (Lawson) two-hand him, maybe Wohlberg won't score that way.
          Agree totally on both the netminder point and the Wohlberg goal. Notre Dame was completely ineffective in creating pressure on Hunwick Thursday and got him moving around a lot last night for a couple of softer goals. Just one of many reasons I was so frustrated after Thursday's game. As for Cole and Lawson (not always paired up BTW, Jackson rotates his D sets some) I think it almost defies explanation how they looked on that goal. But I'll give Wolhberg credit too. He skates pretty well and I think is a lot faster than he looks. Bigger too than I think the media guide lists him.

Comment

12 goals scored by UM and ND over the weekend by 11 different players (Caporusso scored 2 Saturday). Seems like a lot of different goal scorers.

A note about tickets for the games this weekend, played at the old OSU Ice Rink. Ohio State is selling them first to season ticket holders. After Monday others can purchase them. With SRO tickets the place holds 1200.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
              12 goals scored by UM and ND over the weekend by 11 different players (Caporusso scored 2 Saturday). Seems like a lot of different goal scorers.

A note about tickets for the games this weekend, played at the old OSU Ice Rink. Ohio State is selling them first to season ticket holders. After Monday others can purchase them. With SRO tickets the place holds 1200.
              Even with SRO tickets 1200 may be stretching it. It seats closer to 900 and there really isn't anywhere for SRO and it's doubtful the fire marshall would allow that much capacity. I would welcome our Notre Dame counterparts to the series if tickets are available. I will say sadly due to the performance of our team season ticket sales are down dramatically and tickets at the door were available last year but how many I can't recall. I mentioned on a different thread that the only reason were are in the old building is OSU has a long term contract to hold the state wrestling championships in our home arena, the Schott, so you see where hockey ranks here compared to the almighty dollar. Red Berenson used to complain OSU should be kicked out of the CCHA back when it was our home ice as the building is substandard to our conference. Back then it wasn't even regulation length and the ceiling is so low you'll hit it clearing the puck if you're not careful.

Comment

What I remember from the OSU Ice Rink is old time hockey. I went to the games in ND's last season before the program was dropped and saw the greatest college hockey brawl ever. Coach Pooley and his twin were juniors, IIRC. I remember OSU had a player by the last name of Gruhl. We made fun of him. It only took half a period before the benches cleared. The game was delayed for about a half hour after 4 players were thrown out and more than an hour and a half of penalties in the first period alone were called. ND's John Higgins was one of the fighters ejected. IIRC also, Brent Chapman had to be held in the penalty box (they were "open air") as he wanted to get back out there. OSU was in the running for the regular season title and had quite a few players in addition to the Pooleys who were fantastic, but just missed out on the title that weekend, partly due to ND's victory that night.

Good times!

ND is led by Calle Ridderwall, still. He's got 26 points, with 10 of those being PPG's, still. I wish he'd get passed that mark already. He's also ND's leading G scorer with 18. He's followed by Ryan Thang and Kyle Lawson, each with 22 points and Billy Maday with 21 to round out ND's players with at least 20 points. OSU is led by Zac Dalpe. He's got 37 points, 7 of which are PPG's. He's also their leading G scorer with 19. The others with at least 20 points are Peter Boyd (29), John Albert (26) and Sergio Somma (25).

Mike Johnson is 10-11-5 with a save % of .915 and a GA of 2.45. OSU was splitting time in net between Cal Heeter and Dustin Carlson, but Carlson has gotten all the starts the last several weekends. He's 3-10-4 with a save % of .914 and a GA of 2.75.

ND averages 2.42 GF/game while giving up 2.53 GA/game. Eesh. OSU scores 2.68 GF/game, but gives up 3.15 GA/game. ND's best O comes in the 2nd period, while their worst D is in the 3rd. OSU's scoring is pretty evenly distributed, but they give up more goals as the game wears on.

ND's PP is still respectable at 18.1%. Their PK is also good at 87%. They have scored 38 PPG's and given up only 22 PPG's. They have scored 4 shorties, but given up 3 shorties. OSU is 16.5% on the PP while their PK struggles at 75%. They've registered only 28 PPG's for, but given up a whopping 46 PPG's against. They've scored 2 shorties while also giving up 2.

I like ND's chances if they win Friday. Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?!
                "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Seat sales limited to 800 per game. No standing room only. Unknown how many seats are left.

Comment

What I remember from the OSU Ice Rink is old time hockey. I went to the games in ND's last season before the program was dropped and saw the greatest college hockey brawl ever. Coach Pooley and his twin were juniors, IIRC. I remember OSU had a player by the last name of Gruhl. We made fun of him. It only took half a period before the benches cleared. The game was delayed for about a half hour after 4 players were thrown out and more than an hour and a half of penalties in the first period alone were called. ND's John Higgins was one of the fighters ejected. IIRC also, Brent Chapman had to be held in the penalty box (they were "open air") as he wanted to get back out there. OSU was in the running for the regular season title and had quite a few players in addition to the Pooleys who were fantastic, but just missed out on the title that weekend, partly due to ND's victory that night.

Good times!
                    Is that the game when Mr. Doman came and got us and made us sit with everyone else?
                    Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                    Courage to change the things I can,
                    And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                      Is that the game when Mr. Doman came and got us and made us sit with everyone else?
                      Yes. I doubt anything would've happened to us standing over by the ND bench, but he felt the need to look after our safety.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Ben Ryan was skating in practice this week but is still out for this weekend. Got to be a good sign though should the season continue beyond this weekend.

OSU hasn't sold out either game yet, which is kind of sad. Makes me wonder if some of the name brand schools without hockey (Penn State, Navy or Syracuse always seem to come up when the topic is brought forth) see things like that and think "no way is hockey worth it"? If that's the case, OSU needs to get with it and start getting some push for their program. And before anyone from the other side jumps on me remember I am a 4 plus decade fan, and as long as Notre Dame has had a hockey team, they could at least draw decently for playoff games. Since Jackson arrived (and we are still building the program and reputation) NDs home playoff games have averaged a little more than 2400 people. In the last three season it has been closer to 2700, and since most of the games have been sellouts, a larger venue would likely have netted larger crowds. Especially following the great regular seasons in 07 and 09.

Chances are the games at the old place will be full (both pretty much were last season) but even with that huge on campus building it just has the appearance that hockey is an afterthought. Just like it was around here for far too long.

Comment

Is this game going to be on tv anywhere or just radio?
                          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                            Is this game going to be on tv anywhere or just radio?
                            Apparently, OSU is streaming the video free this weekend. Go to their website and sign on to watch.

Comment

Apparently, OSU is streaming the video free this weekend. Go to their website and sign on to watch.
                              Thank you ma'am. Great job this season with the recaps I must say. The fellow season ticket holders around me were a lot more educated thanks to you.
                              TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Green jerseys? Really?! Doesn't work for the football team. Why would one think it would work for the hockey team?

While I want to say "Yay" for Richard Ryan scoring his first collegiate goal...to tie it up in a playoff game, no less, I don't feel much like dishing out the kudos. No offense to him, but Richard Ryan? Really?! He's the guy who brings his "A" game. Not the goalie? Not the defense? Not the special teams? Not the seniors?

Dropping the gloves in a practice? With your own teammates? Really?! If this is where their "A" game is, just get the season over with.

Comment

Working...
                                X