Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Either I divorce Mr. JJfP, or I never take him to Lawson again. Ever.

While it was nice to visit with Sugarisland and Lawson legend, Bill Shepherd, the penalty box official, that was not the point of driving up there.

Of course, neither was the rotten egg dressed in blue that was laid on the ice. Wow. Riley Gill didn't even need to show up and WMU would've won this game.

This was a Bronco team that had managed only 14 PPG's...the whole season...and they scored TWO against the (supposed) top PK team in the nation. This was a team that had averaged giving up at least one PPG/game...the whole season...and they shut ND down. And to add insult to injury (no pun intended), they added a shortie...while killing off a 5-minute major. This was a team that had absolutely nothing to play for. They stink. They know it. They knew their season was in the crapper when they had mustered only TWO wins...since Halloween...playing a team that had absolutely everything to play for...4th place all alone, first round bye, home ice, pride, something.

All season I hadn't really worried much about goaltending or defense. Those were decent to solid basically all season. Special teams have also been solid. It was offense that was the question mark. Tonight, from Mike Johnson to Brad Phillips and all points in between, this effort stunk. No sugar coating. No injury excuses. Just reeked. ND should've been able to beat Western with a 3rd string goalie in net and Calle Ridderwall in the stands. I can't even enjoy the fact that Joe Lavin got his 1st goal with his new team because this game was lost and out of hand by the 10 minute mark of the first period.

I hope the Radisson by the campus has large mirrors in the rooms because this team needs to take a good long look at the image staring back and ask themselves, "Am I really doing all I can to help this team...or not?" Because if the answer is "not," even Coach Jackson can't fix that.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
      While I agree that Gill is a tremendous player, I don't think one player should stand in the way of any team winning. I've never been one to treat the goalie as such a special player, giving them too much credit when the team wins, or shielding them from most of the blame when the team loses. As you said, Miami needed a late goal to keep Western from stealing a point or more but they went out there and got the late goal and secured the sweep. I still see these two games as Notre Dame having the better players (whoever is dressed), the better coach, and a whole lot more to play for. They should find a way to win, regardless of whether or not Riley Gill stands on his head.
      Seriously, if you would have seen his play in that Saturday game, you wouldn't have written this. He looked like Hasek out there with some of his kick saves. The only reason we did get that last goal, was because his teamates threw 3 Miami players on top of him, there were easily 6 guys laying in front of the net and he was at the bottom of the pile, and Miele was able to rifle a slapshot into the top of the net. I think it was a given that there was more talent on the Miami roster than the WMU, but sometimes that doesn't matter. (see: Andrew Volkening vs Michigan last year, or Matt Dalton vs you last year)

Comment

JJFP, I think it might not be Mr.JJFP only. I simply should never have any optimism of this team at all. NEVER.

After 2 sleepless days I felt dying last night and thought, well, it's WMU, maybe I can just get up and check the ND win... then I went to sleep till this afternoon...

the first time was to Bemeji
        the 2nd was to UAH
        and ..

NO MORE
        Irish Hockey is my first and only religious belief
        and my faith never dies

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
          Seriously, if you would have seen his play in that Saturday game, you wouldn't have written this. He looked like Hasek out there with some of his kick saves. The only reason we did get that last goal, was because his teamates threw 3 Miami players on top of him, there were easily 6 guys laying in front of the net and he was at the bottom of the pile, and Miele was able to rifle a slapshot into the top of the net. I think it was a given that there was more talent on the Miami roster than the WMU, but sometimes that doesn't matter. (see: Andrew Volkening vs Michigan last year, or Matt Dalton vs you last year)
          I've seen Gill play plenty of times. He was good enough. After watching what could only incorrectly be called Notre Dame's "effort" last night, I stand by what I said earlier. The way Notre Dame's goalies played in this one, then the way the rest of the team took the night off once the score was 3-0, Dave Gilbert could have skated over to the Bronco net, thrown on a helmet and borrowed some skates, and Western still would have won this one, likely by the 5 goals they ended up winning by.

It's one thing to lose to Miami in their building. It's one thing to lose to a Ferris State team having its once every 6 or 7 year outstanding season. It's one thing to lose to a (similarly to Notre Dame) struggling Michigan team, that while much lower in the standings than they normally are is still loaded with talent and generally thought to be well coached. It's an entirely different thing to lose -- this g09d@mm bad -- to a team that hadn't won in 2 months, doesn't have a single skater who would replace anyone on your top two forward or defensive lines, and has a coach that no Western rooter would mind no longer seeing behind the Bronco bench.

This isn't a loss that can be blamed on too many injuries. Or the referees. Or a hot goalie. This is a loss that can be blamed on two things that Notre Dame can control each and every time they take the ice. Effort and focus. In case they need help in locating those particular items, I'd suggest checking in the middle of their chest cavity. Maybe they're in there. Somewhere.

Comment

Gill played well Friday night but he did not have to as IHF pointed out. However, tonight was different. SOG 55-16 in favor of ND! ND had a breakaway and numerous point blank chances.....all stopped cold by Gill. When ND scored in the third, that goal easily could have been a tie or go ahead goal.....but it was not. Even though Roehl had a hat trick,I still thought Gill should have been first star. Excellent performance!

I haven't seen all the scores yet but it appears that ND and LSSU wil be tied for 8th.....and LSSU has an extra win and 2 games in hand. With games at BGand with Mich left, travelling in the first round is a possibility. Injuries, chemistry, suddenly questionable goal tending, inability to score.......whatever is going on..........could make points difficult to come by.
            Last edited by Sugarisland; 02-06-2010, 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

What the?! I got to listen to the first period before having to go to a family thing. Thank God for family.

So the weekend when Notre Dame should've made hay they took a healthy 82 shots on goal. Scoring 3 goals for. While going 0-18 on the PP. (That's 0% for those of you who can't do the math.) While giving up 5 PPG's in 6 chances on the PK. (That's a PK of 17% for those of you too flabbergasted to do the math.) While giving up a respectable 43 shots for the weekend to Western. While giving up a not-respectable 11 goals. (That's a save % of 74.4% for those of you too disgusted to do the math.)

Western was a team that had been shut out this season not once, not twice, not 3 times, but 4 times thus far. Before Notre Dame showed up, you have to add up their goals from the previous six games before they had scored 11 goals.

I honestly do not know what to say now.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by me View Post

The margin for error has almost evaporated.
                Way to come out ready for action. Rumor has it the Notre Dame hockey team was in Dick's Sporting Goods over the weekend, checking out the new golf gear.

In the context of who they played, what there was to play for, and the fact that they just choked away as many wins in a 27 hour timespan to Western as the Broncos had won in the previous 62 days, this is the single most disappointing weekend of hockey at Notre Dame I can remember. Not only has the margin for error evaporated, so too may be home ice for even the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  I honestly do not know what to say now.
                  Blame "THE CAPTAIN" JJFP. This entire season is obviously all his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                    Blame "THE CAPTAIN" JJFP. This entire season is obviously all his fault.
                    Yup...All his fault....

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
                      Blame "THE CAPTAIN". This entire season is obviously all his fault.
                      You said it.

Comment

IMO, ND sent a strong message this past weekend, a very strong message to the rest of the league - "we give up, see us waving the white flag? No fight left in our dog" Never thought I would see this from a Jackson team but here it is right in front of us. Reminds me of Poulins last team. It needs to be asked; has Jackson completely lost this team? Is there hope for next year? I understand the injury situation and the cohesiveness factor but to come out and lay an egg like this over 2 nights against a team that is clearly inferior (on paper) leaves me with no other explanation. I am sure BGSU is licking their chops right now, not to mention UM and what ever team ND gets to scrimmage against during the first round of the playoffs. A lost season that had so much hope...oh well...

Comment

• Long look at what has been a long season (probably still angry)

This weekend they looked every bit as bad as Poulin's last team in losing twice to Western. The games appeared lost as soon as Western netted their second goals both nights.

Look at the numbers. 0-18 on the PP, PPs that included more than one 2-man advantage and a 5-minute major. 1-6 on the PK. Gave up a shorty. The top two goaltenders looking COMPLETELY lost for most of the time they were on the ice. Weak efforts in the faceoff circles for much of the weekend, including constant losses in Western's end. And please, nothing about the 50+ shots last night. I'm not going to go overboard dissecting what usually happens when a team fires 50 shots, but they often don't win. In fact the last time ND did it, they failed to win that game too, blowing a 3-0 lead in the process. Fact is, 50 shots usually means a lot of hurried blasts to the net, lots of low percentage shots from the corners and bad angles, and a lot of easy saves for the goalie. I believe Northern's goalie faced 50 shots yesterday from a team that most of us figured to be better and shut them out. Gill played well last night, better yes than Friday. And while I mean no disrespect to Western, or their posters, who all exhibit nothing but friendly competitiveness and class on this forum, Notre Dame LOST these games as much or more than anything else.

While I wish you folks wouldn't quote the idiots I have on "ignore" I guess that's my problem. I loathe to give that particular nameless idiot the time of day, but I think "leadership" is a legitimate topic for discussing what has led this team to the point it is at today.

Where that is is looking at a season that has seriously devolved into one where they quite possibly don't even earn first round privileges in the overly generous format that is the CCHA tournament. On a team with the kind of talent this one obviously has, you cannot spin anything positive out of that, and you can't make any legitimate excuses. Nothing can mask the fact that to this point, and especially considering how absolutely awful they looked this weekend, that their play has simply stunk as often as not.

We can make all the arguments we want about injuries. We can point out all the play making, goal scoring, and Hobey Baker quality goaltending that graduated last May. But none of that can really explain the inconsistencies of the 4-plus month long up-and-down nature of this season. We saw them look great in 2 games against a pretty good Michigan State team and pretty good in two ties -- including a comeback from a 3-0 hole in one -- to boot. They looked like two different teams against UNO. They looked awful against Ferris at home just one week after dominating a .500 Colgate team and posting another great comeback against a top-5 ranked North Dakota team on neutral ice. And while the injury list is long, there were but two players -- Cole and Maday -- out of the lineup the last couple of games who were making positive impacts on games. As JJfP said after Friday, you should beat teams struggling like the Broncos with your third string goalie between the pipes and leading scorer in the stands.

This is leadership folks, plain and simple. Talent can score goals. It can beat teams one night. Injuries can cause late losses from tired players, can wreak havoc on practice schedules. But leadership leads to discipline which leads to consistency, which leads to winning the games your talent dictates you should win almost all the time and putting yourself in position to steal one or two you shouldn't. I'm not blaming one guy. I'm blaming a lot of guys. Coaches and players alike have obviously not approached this season in a matter that has worked. Too much confusion early on about who should be between the pipes. Too little confidence in players not normally expected to dress leaving a bench much shorter than it actually was. Were the wrong captains picked? Are the players without letters who should also be leaders setting poor examples? Before Erik Condra or Christian Hanson or Mark Van Guilder had an "A" or a "C" sewed onto their sweaters, they were BLEEDING leadership. There were easily another 4 guys the last two years who could have been captains, and who played and led as such. Where is the rest of the leadership on THIS team?

Notre Dame has proven itself to be lacking in two things. Yes health is one. But leadership is the other. And the injuries probably kept us from seeing them compete realistically for a CCHA regular season title, I'll concede that. But it is a lack of leadership that has them look like they did in dominating MSU 5-2 one night, and looking like they did over 2 consecutive nights this weekend just a couple of weeks later, and finding themselves fighting to hold on to even 8th place. Speaking just for myself in many ways this season has been as disappointing as the one 5 years ago, and it is only because this team is twice as talented as that one that it hasn't turned into the 5 win nightmare that one was.

Comment

• Re: Long look at what has been a long season (probably still angry)

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            While I wish you folks wouldn't quote the idiots I have on "ignore" I guess that's my problem.
                            Sorry.

Originally posted by Irishhockey
                            ND sent a strong message this past weekend, a very strong message to the rest of the league - "we give up, see us waving the white flag? No fight left in our dog"
                            I don't think that's necessarily the case. I don't think they've given up. I think they just didn't have the guys to direct their sails that they've had in the past.
                            Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 02-08-2010, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Gill is a very good veteran goalie and has been on a role lately, could easily have been goalie or player of the week last week. He is a shoe in this week. ND has the talent to pull out of this funk and re-right the ship. Bowling Green is in two weeks, maybe the time off will give the coaches a chance to settle things down. Jackson is an excellent coach, as is the rest of the staff. There are a number of CCHA teams that seem to struggling to find their identity this year. I can see at least one CCHA team taking a run at Pooley to be head coach next year.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyDoc View Post
                                Gill is a very good veteran goalie and has been on a role lately, could easily have been goalie or player of the week last week. He is a shoe in this week. ND has the talent to pull out of this funk and re-right the ship. Bowling Green is in two weeks, maybe the time off will give the coaches a chance to settle things down. Jackson is an excellent coach, as is the rest of the staff. There are a number of CCHA teams that seem to struggling to find their identity this year. I can see at least one CCHA team taking a run at Pooley to be head coach next year.
                                True, Notre Dame has the talent. But we've been waiting for them to pull out of this funk since UAH scored a stunning game winning goal in game 1 of the season with less than 10 seconds to play. Here we are 31 games later and this team still isn't there. The time to right the ship and was last weekend if it was anytime, and they failed in about as epic a fashion as one could have feared.

Teams may take a run at Pooley, but my guess is he stays at Notre Dame as long as Jackson is here. He had a decade long run at Providence that was marked by an extreme case of mediocrity. I believe his niche is right where he is right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X