Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Yay for Christian Hanson making the AHL All-Star game.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

The best two words: Game Today

If Notre Dame is going to turn it around and regain some measure of swagger, a couple of convincing wins this weekend at their own tournament is an absolute must. The hole they've dug is deep and the time to climb out if it is fading fast.

Comment

Heading out in an hour to enjoy IHF's favorite statement.

IHF, you're not making the trek out to see the games? Or would that be skiing out... Or sledding out...

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Boy was it nice to see Sean Lorenz (complete with goal) and Ian Cole on the ice. Also nice to see another Dman in Joe Lavin adding to the blueline. Odd to see three D take the opening face off, especially when I realized it wasn't an announcing error. Kyle Lawson played wing tonight.

For the first half of the game, ND really controlled the tempo. Colgate had trouble getting anything set up, especially on the PP. Then oddly enough, after Riley Sheahan scored a crappy goal, the team let up. But Colgate didn't.

While Ryan Thang threw a few awesome checks, Calle Ridderwall continued his love of the PPG's, and Billy Maday scored a few, it was Ben Ryan's dicking around with the puck in front of Mike Johnson that led to Colgate's first goal. Save for some bad whiffs at open nets, the Raiders were closer than the score indicated after the first 30 minutes. The refs also missed a few blatant ND penalties that could have helped Colgate get even closer.

I was surprised to see NoDak struggle a bit with Niagara (who, like Colgate, kept the game closer than you'd think). Here's to a good defense of the tourney title tomorrow.

Comment

Joe Lavin interview, Colgate recap at http://www.catcountry999.com/crew/crew02.php

Comment

I have 2 words for several groups after this weekend:

To the Indiana Toll Road Commission...in Barcelona or Uluru...or wherever you are: Snow. Plow.

To women drivers everywhere: Cruise. Control.

To Hoffman Estates: Exit. Ramps.

To the PA announcer at the tourney this weekend: Shut. Up.

To the ND hockey team: Con. Grats.

I'm extremely happy about the outcome yesterday. Being down by 2 goals to NoDak, coming back to tie it up, giving up the first goal in the SO, and coming back to "win" that for the tourney championship is impressive.

It was great to see some even strength goals. Also nice was Dan Kissel's timely SO goal and the fact that he continues to be the hardest working player out there, even with NoDak's Ben Blood picking on him all game. Kevin Deeth, while earning 3 points on the weekend, scored a nice goal off a fantastic feed off the boards by Ryan Guentzel. Billy Maday and Brett Blatchford also each had 3 points. Lots of players registered at least a point this weekend, including Joe Lavin, who earned his first point in the gold jersey. Now if he would please, please, please stop passing the puck right in front of Mike Johnson (who, BTW, after giving up the first SO goal, settled down quite nicely).

Nick Larson, Riley Sheahan, Teddy Ruth and Ian Cole each had great games Sunday. And no one really had a bad game at all. A few lapses over the weekend, but nothing they obviously couldn't overcome.

I've determined that Ryan Thang couldn't buy a goal, even if they were on sale 3-for-a-dollar at Wal-Mart. He had some excellent chances this weekend, but the pucks either sailed high or pinged off the posts. That's gotta be frustrating.

Lastly, while it may work sometimes against some opponents, someone needs to tell Tom O'Brien to quit shooting a puck into the opponent's net after warm-ups. I believe it produces bad karma and fires up the other team. And a team like North Dakota doesn't need any more firing up than they have.

Let's hope this weekend marks the turning point for the season. In-season trophies are nice, but I prefer the post-season variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                To the PA announcer at the tourney this weekend: Shut. Up.

AMEN!!! Gosh was he annoying

Comment

Nice game last night from Notre Dame. I wasn't sure what to expect from them being that they were highly ranked to start the season but hadn't had the season that many were expecting of them.

Skilled team...very good puck movement, especially on the PP. Both teams seemed to go through stretches of maintaining good puck control. When ND tied it early in the 3rd, I thought that the Sioux might give up the go-ahead goal as well (ND had some good chances), but they held tough. I was most impressed with Kissel...great speed (he had that great chance to win the game on his OT rush where he burned around the UND defender and came in on Eidsness), and then his clutch SO goal.

Fun venue, good fans (ran into some great ND fans on Sunday night), good couple of games.

Good luck to Notre Dame the rest of the way.
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

So whats the outlook for this weekend. How good is Ferris State really?
                    TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                      So whats the outlook for this weekend. How good is Ferris State really?
                      Hmmm. How does one answer that without upsetting someone from either camp?

I've always said that FSU was the poor man's MSU, with the exception that every decade or so, Coach Daniels gets an upperclassmen-laden team or a stud like Chris Kunitz and has a great team. He reminds me of Dave Poulin...

Having ripped on FSU, I'll move to the other camp. FSU worries me. They always play ND hard, even if they underachieve. There are always more Bulldogs laying on the ice than after the Titanic sank because that's their typical MO to help out the goalie. ND has never been able to solve that tactic well.

FSU is 14-4-2. ND is 9-8-5. FSU averages 3.4 goals/game (good for 13th in the nation) while giving up a very stingy 1.9 goals/game (even better, for 3rd in the nation). ND averages 2.23 goals/game ("good" for 50th in the country) while giving up a virtually equally stingy 2.0 a game (good for 4th in the country).

FSU is 13th on the PP of all 58 teams. They click 22.4% of the time. Their PK is 2nd in the country, killing off 90% of the man-advantages. FSU has scored 28 PPG's and given up 11. ND is 28th in the country on the PP, scoring 19% of the time on the man-up. They are 3rd in the country on the PK, though, killing 89.6%. ND has scored 24 PPG's and also given up only 11.

FSU is led by Blair Riley who has 24 points, 15 of which are goals. He is followed by Cody Chupp and Casey Haines (19 and 17, respectively). Chupp is their PPG guy, registering 5 of them. ND is led by Billy Maday with 19 points, followed by Calle Ridderwall (16) and Ben Ryan (15). Ridderwall leads the team in PPG's with 8 of his 12 goals scored coming on the man advantage.

FSU has split time in net between Pat Nagle (5-2-1, 1.52 GA and a save % of .942) and Taylor Nelson (9-2-1, 2.1 GA, .927 save %). I expect that trend to continue with Nelson starting Saturday. Mike Johnson is 6-5-2 with a GA of 1.73 and a save % of .939. All 3 goalies are in the top 10 in the country for their stats.

Goalies are interchangeable. PK is interchangeable. PPG's for and against are interchangeable. Scoring from the #2 guy on down is interchangeable. The only real differences between these two teams is the leading scorer and PP. ...so don't give up a PPG and shut down Blair Riley.

I still think greatness is within the grasp of this team this year. When people tell you to "be reasonable," they are really telling you to compromise your ideals.

Comment

Wow Great Recap Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.

Can you post that in the "Ferris State Hockey 2 Minutes For Slashing" thread?

Comment

Whoo hoo! Congrats to Kyle Palmieri and Team USA for the gold.

Comment

Congrats to former ND and current Blackhawks video guy Brad Aldridge on being named the US Olympic Team's video guy. Maybe these ND ties will bring another gold medal...

Comment

After waiting for forever to watch ND hockey, I'm not going to lie, I'm ready for this weekend! Listening to it just isn't the same as the cold glass against my hands, and getting atleast 1 player from the opposing team to look at me, while i'm telling him he sucks!

Is it bad that my 3 year old yells sucks after each player's name is read from the opposing team's roster? He even does it while listening to the game. And you better believe he sits right next to the radio w/ me listening to the entire game.

You can't tell who his father is can you? He makes his daddy proud!
                              Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

I would also like to congratulate the 2010 Shillelagh all-tournament team!

Goaltender - Mike Johnson, Notre Dame
                                Defense - Brett Blatchford, Notre Dame
                                Defense - Jake Marto, North Dakota
                                Forward - Brett Hextall, North Dakota
                                Forward - Kevin Deeth, Notre Dame
                                Forward - Billy Maday, Notre Dame
                                Most Outstanding Player - Billy Maday, Notre Dame

Keep up the good work Irish!
                                Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Working...
                                X