Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The University of Notre Dame Hockey: 09-10. Let's Live It Up!

Im going to try and make it to at least a game before the year is over. But I can't promise anything. By the way sometimes Betsy gets on here as well.
    Notre Dame Hockey, its a way of life! ...ML

Comment

Here's hoping Christian tears it up at this level, too.
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        He can't do any worse than the stiffs already on my team!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy_guy_in_section_1 View Post
          I love this quote. Just thought i'd share it w/ you all! Go IRISH!

"Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner, and the concentraion of a brain surgeon. But we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us, oh yeah did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick? Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question." -Brendan Shanahan
          Shanny was the best. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Thanksgiving to all from Spartan country!
          "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
          - Mark Twain

Comment

The only escalating penalties that I'm aware of are game DQs. This is covered in rule 4-5-a.

Game misconducts (but not, IIRC, DQs, I can't check it easily because I don't think anyone's gotten a DQ in an ND game so far) carry a notational 10 PIM that go in the box score and against the player's record, but aren't actually served by anyone. You'll see that both Thang and Cole got those in the MSU game. According to the box score, neither was assessed a 10 min. misconduct, the 10 PIM for each are associated with the game misconducts.

I'm not sure where the stat-keeping is codified. I did not find it in the playing rules (misconducts are covered in 4-4).
            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
              The only escalating penalties that I'm aware of are game DQs. This is covered in rule 4-5-a.

Game misconducts (but not, IIRC, DQs, I can't check it easily because I don't think anyone's gotten a DQ in an ND game so far) carry a notational 10 PIM that go in the box score and against the player's record, but aren't actually served by anyone. You'll see that both Thang and Cole got those in the MSU game. According to the box score, neither was assessed a 10 min. misconduct, the 10 PIM for each are associated with the game misconducts.

I'm not sure where the stat-keeping is codified. I did not find it in the playing rules (misconducts are covered in 4-4).
              Thanks Craig, easily understood explantion. Finally.
              Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
              Courage to change the things I can,
              And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Found it. It's in the statistician's manual. I was wrong, a DQ also carries a notational 10 PIM, the same as a game misconduct.

It's a little trickier to get to the statistician's manual than it is the playing rules, but you can follow a few links at ncaa.org to get there.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

For point of confirmation you can look at the box from last year's ND win over OSU in Columbus. Ian Boots was assessed a 5 minute major for spearing, which includes an additional game disqualification penalty. The notation is the similar (10 - game disqualification) as one would see for the game misconduct (10 - game misconduct).

Comment

I wonder how it is that the opposing team goalies who are not having great seasons (read: sucky stats) can come in here and look like a brick wall... The flood gates have to open soon...don't they?

I also wonder why CCHA refs blow... They missed blatant penalties on both sides. For the record, the BG player turned to his side when Calle Ridderwall checked him. Yes, it should have been boarding. It should not have been a 5-minute CFB.

Mike Johnson played well from the 16 second mark on. Brett Blatchford had a good game. Teddy Ruth had a good game. Ian Cole had a good game. Especially with 2.4 seconds left in OT.

I have to hand it to BG and their new coach, though. They played a more cohesive, team-like game than I've seen in the past.

Having said that, I still want my team to sweep them. I'd be willing to bake a batch of molasses cookies for each ND player who can score a goal tomorrow.

Here's to having to make a serious grocery run Sunday!

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Last night's game was a 50/50 proposition for me. I am happy with the win. But I'm not happy with the path to the three points. This team will go no where when it counts without learning to play for 60 minutes (or as in the case last night 65). And they will not beat teams of equal or greater talent if they continue to play the tentative brand of offense they have been displaying pretty much since opening night. I lost count last night of the number of decent scoring chances that evaporated into either an ineffective shot, or worse yet, no shot at all. They'd gain an advantage between the blue lines, skate into BGs zone on a 3-on-2 (and once 4-on-2) and get nothing. This problem simply has to be solved. Now.

I liked how Thang played in his return. Good jump from the get-go and he can blame nothing other than bad luck (or maybe the typically bad Joyce Center ice) on not scoring a couple of times. I like how Palmieri played up to and including the wicked shot he unleashed for his goal. After that...? He needs to also begin making better decisions for 60 minutes. Again, too many scoring chances died on his stick somewhere south of the circles. One fewer move, one better advised pass, will lead to one more good scoring chance. And good scoring chances will lead to goals.

At least the trend over the last 6 games is moving in the correct direction, two losses followed by two ties and now two wins. Its been a tough season so far, though I do see some things moving in a positive direction and improvement over the first few games. But still too much that has stagnated.

This series marks Notre Dame's 7th 2-gamer of the season and only the third they have a chance to sweep. No disrespect meant to BG, but this is a series Notre Dame can sweep and NEEDS to sweep. But the Irish hockey team must remember if the enemy is in range, so are you.

*edit* The UND.com site needs to do a much better job covering this team, by the way. They've shown over the last few seasons that they are a major player in the college hockey world, and the interest level is light-years ahead of where it was just 3 or 4 years ago. After all they managed to attract enough people to the Joyce on a holiday weekend with the students long gone to fill the place. Traditional media is limited to just a couple of articles a week, and often none if the team has a weekend off. Notre Dame hockey deserves the publicity and the fans deserve a little more information and coverage. I hear the football coach is on the hotseat, but they aren't exactly breaking that story or leading in its reporting.
                      Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 11-28-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I have to admit, when I heard Coach Jackson claim that they played possibly their worst 3rd period so far, I was confused.

UAH...Providence...? Both of those games were lost in the 3rd period. But then I realized, they did give up several odd-man rushes late that could've been reminiscent of those aforementioned losses.

I have to agree with the grrr implied in IHF's post. What's up with the odd-man rushes for, and then never even getting a shot off?! Just. Put. The. Puck. On. Net. Wayne Gretzky said it best, "You don't score on 100% of the shots you don't take."

Let's go boys. Generate more offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          Having said that, I still want my team to sweep them. I'd be willing to bake a batch of molasses cookies for each ND player who can score a goal tomorrow.

Here's to having to make a serious grocery run Sunday!
                          What happens if they want peanut butter? Or chocolate chip? Or, yum, chocolate drop?? Can you make me a batch, a small batch, or chocolate drop cookies that I can take with me to the airport tomorrow????? Please?
                          Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                          Courage to change the things I can,
                          And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                            What happens if they want peanut butter? Or chocolate chip? Or, yum, chocolate drop?? Can you make me a batch, a small batch, or chocolate drop cookies that I can take with me to the airport tomorrow????? Please?
                            PB cookies would be fine, too. Fudge would be acceptable. I don't care what they want...I'll bake it if it means more goals! (Disclosure: I make the best PB and molasses cookies going, and my fudge is tasty too. After that, there's a huge dropoff...)

And, no, I won't make chocolate drop cookies. Blech. If I can't stand them, I don't make them.

Comment

Well, I don't know about the rest of the crowd, but I am getting worried. I think we are seeing more and more that this team is really by now a reflection of their record. Just a little better than mediocre. Sadly, they are just a little better than mediocre because they appear still to be loaded with talent, not that they have worked more out of their talent than you'd otherwise expect. But they are not putting it together as a group of 19 guys (or as the case tonight 20). It isn't just a factor of them not taking BG seriously enough. As a team, maybe they just aren't that much better. I find it hard to comprehend that this much talent, coupled with this coaching staff needs to find themselves in 2 overtime games with the Falcons, but here we are. The most frustrating thing is how many times guys haven't bailed each other out. In the recent seasons, we saw time and time again, players picking each other up and a bad play didn't necessarily end up in the back of the net. Now, more often that not it seems to.

Perhaps it was asking too much for them to continue on after the graduation of such a stellar class, because up to now, they miss those guys more than they've missed anyone for 3 years running. The good thing is there is still plenty of season left to begin gelling. The bad news is there is little evidence that it is happening anytime soon.

Comment

Things I'm happy about: Calle Ridderwall scores the hat trick.

Things I'm annoyed at: Not one fan threw a hat onto the ice.

Things I'm happy about: Ryan Thang finally got back on the scoresheet.

Things I'm annoyed at: He had to score to send the game (against BG) to OT.

Things I'm happy about: ND didn't give up a PPG.

Things I'm annoyed at: They sure gave BG lots of opportunities, though.

Things I'm happy about: ND scored more than 3 goals.

Things I'm annoyed at: Brad Phillips allowed more than 3 goals.

Things I'm happy about: ND scored 5 x 5.

Things I'm annoyed at: BG scored 5 x 5...four times.

Things I'm happy about, and yet also annoyed at: I think Coach Jackson found his starting goaltender.

Get ready for Miami, boys.

Comment

Working...
                                X