Nevermind, figured it out.

20 for Minnesota. 90 pts.

7+7+7+7+6+6+6+6+5+5+5+4+4+4+3+2+2+2+1+1
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Re: Number of NHL Draft picks on your team

RPI has 6 current players drafted.

Code:
      Jensen   9th round (-1 point :eek:, I'll make it 0.)
      York     6th round  2 points
      Bergin   7th round  1 point
      Foss     6th round  2 points
      Pirri    2nd round  6 points
      D'Amigo  6th round  2 points
      Total 13 points
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        You might have a pretty good formula if you multiply the draft choice points by the year in school. Say a 5th Round Junior is worth (3 pts X 3 years = 9 pts). A first round Freshman is worth 7 pts (7 X 1 year).
        Using this, Minnesota ends up with 212 points.

Player with most points: David Fischer, senior first rounder for 28 points.
        Player with fewest points: Nick Larson, sophomore seventh rounder for 2 points.
        Last edited by state of hockey; 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Using this, Minnesota ends up with 212 points.
          Wow. Pretty high number.

Will be pretty interesting to see these numbers against the preseason polls and then the end of season results.

I'd probably tweak the formula a little more to give more weight to 1st, 2nd & 3rd Round Draft picks.

1st = 10
          2nd = 8
          3rd = 6
          4th = 4
          5th = 3
          6th = 2
          7th = 1

It seems like BC & BU's National Championship teams were heavily laden with NHL Draft picks.
          Last edited by dggoddard; 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Obviously, high draft choices (Turris, Kessel) are great players, but leave school early and obviously don't contribute as much as guys who stick around for four years.

You might have a pretty good formula if you multiply the draft choice points by the year in school. Say a 5th Round Junior is worth (3 pts X 3 years = 9 pts). A first round Freshman is worth 7 pts (7 X 1 year).
            Well going by this your original idea (yer best I think) -
            MSU Spartans-

Nill - Soph. 7th round = 2 x 1 = 2
            Sucharski - Senior (5th-year redshirt) 5th round = 4 x 3 = 12
            Grant - Freshman 4th round = 1 x 4 = 4
            Tropp - Junior 3rd round = 3 x 5 = 15
            Petry - Junior 2nd round = 3 x 6 = 18
            Leveille - Soph. 1st round = 2 x 7 = 14
            Total: 65

But, sshablak, I digress

Comment

Obviously, high draft choices (Turris, Kessel) are great players, but leave school early and obviously don't contribute as much as guys who stick around for four years.

I just saw Kyle Turris just got sent to San Antonio of the AHL so i would be carefull with using him with Phil Kessel. both needed NHL seasoning but Kessel is now proving to be a serious threat guy in the NHL and Turris can't even make an NHL roster on the worse team much less. I blame Phx more then Kyle Turris and it may be a tad early to say this but could Kyle Turris be a draft flop based on his draft position??? PHX can't do anything right i guess....
              The Quest For 7

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

Player with most points: David Fischer,
                I think we can all see the problems with this system.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  I think we can all see the problems with this system.
                  Maybe go back to original question (Post #1) then?

Comment

Be careful, folks.

NHL draft picks don't always equate to success for college teams. Certainly it's A measure of talent in a program, but its not THE measure of talent. NHL teams draft players based on how they will project to the NHL in 3-5 years, not how they may or may not help a college team today. Plenty of 5-7 undrafted guys become great college players, and lots of big drafted guys don't produce much at the college level. Additionally, the more drafted players you have, the harder it is to manage all the increased egos, playing time, parental, CHL and NHL interference and early departures, etc.

Of course, having drafted players is a good recruiting tool, some of them turn out to be great college players, and it's good publicity for a program. But most drafted players never see the NHL at all (especially 3rd-7th rounders), and many of them turn out little better than undrafted guys at the college level...

Comment

My Lord....I asked a simple question ! LMAO
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        My Lord....I asked a simple question ! LMAO
                        Yes, you did. Simple question, indeed.

All I am doing is questioning the conventional wisdom that some folks equate more drafts picks=better team/program, which is the logical progression of a thread where people post how many drafted guys their program has....

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          Be careful, folks.

NHL draft picks don't always equate to success for college teams. Certainly it's A measure of talent in a program, but its not THE measure of talent. NHL teams draft players based on how they will project to the NHL in 3-5 years, not how they may or may not help a college team today. Plenty of 5-7 undrafted guys become great college players, and lots of big drafted guys don't produce much at the college level. Additionally, the more drafted players you have, the harder it is to manage all the increased egos, playing time, parental, CHL and NHL interference and early departures, etc.

Of course, having drafted players is a good recruiting tool, some of them turn out to be great college players, and it's good publicity for a program. But most drafted players never see the NHL at all (especially 3rd-7th rounders), and many of them turn out little better than undrafted guys at the college level...
                          I knew Minnesota was going to have a huge number, and posted it to show how little it can mean when it comes to winning championships. No doubt that it can be a good thing, but definitely not a necessity.

So, in short, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                            Yes, you did. Simple question, indeed.

All I am doing is questioning the conventional wisdom that some folks equate more drafts picks=better team/program, which is the logical progression of a thread where people post how many drafted guys their program has....
                            No team is going to win the National Championship today without a good number of their players being good enough at 18 or 19 to be drafted. This is not like back in the 60 or 70's, were a team could load up on 25 year old Canadians, who are well past the draft age, but could still play in college. Take away all the drafted players from Denver, and tell me how good they would be.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Let's put it this way... we've got 7 more NHL draft picks than we do NCAA wins. I'll bet none of you have the math skills to crack that code...
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                No team is going to win the National Championship today without a good number of their players being good enough at 18 or 19 to be drafted.
                                So since your squad wins the NHL Draft points competition, are you conceding they won't win an NC this year?
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X