Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Well now that we have had a few days to digest the happenings of the weekend its on to next season.

Congrats to coach bergeron on getting the BG job.

This leaves Miami in search for another assistant coach. One side its nice to see two former Miami assistants get jobs but both are in the CCHA which could pose problems down the road. Although I don't think the program will suffer as long as the right guy comes in to replace him. All great programs have this happen and as long as you have a great head coach in place the program will continue on its path, which I beleive will be the case here.

I don't think we will see a parade to the pro's from this team. These guys are so close and I think they see what could be next season. A team loaded with talent, all juniors and seniors, and experienced in those big games making 2 straight frozen fours. Took BC 3 trips in a row before they got over the hump in 2008. I believe this team will be hungrier than ever, and will hopefully have a year without as many distractions or tragedies in it. Got to give these guys a ton of credit for making it back to the FF after the heartbreak a year prior.

RHBM- there were circumstances out of my control for why I didn't make it on saturday. I had full intentions but couldn't make it happen.

Time to move on and look towards this up coming season, who comes in as freshmen will be interesting as miami retunrs 18 of 20 guys dressed in the FF semi-final last thursday. That is pretty darn encouraging.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Re: The Official 2010 Miami offseason thread: 3rd times a charm??? maybe???

Berg hurts. But we poached a pretty good assistant two years ago so you'd figure there are a good amount of guys that have oxford in mind.

Maybe we can get gretzky to give someone a personal recommendation to come here

Any word on what kids to expect coming in to Miami this fall? Paulazz for sure bracause of his age. Cook to keep the chemistry with him? Any word on bersch? Wideman junior came on late and played well but probably needs another year with the former Miami Ice USHL team. And does anyone know how Hartman part 2 did at the USNDPT camp? He was invited a couple weeks back but haven't seen much on the results from there. Where are gacek and mullin going to be next year also.

Comment

Don't forget about Tiesling as well. I'd like to see if he has any game of if he's just a big body.

There's not a ton of room on the roster with so many returning and expected increases in PT for Mason and Mantha.

Weber has said that he is coming back. I wonder if LoVerde will see the ice again assuming he can get healthy and cleared?

Also have Garrett Kennedy to look at on the blueline, but again, not much room there.

When does Rico bring in another goaltender? After this season or does he wait until Knapp and Reichard are completely gone? It might be nice to stagger the scholarships and bring one in after '10-'11 and one after Reichard and Knapp graduate so we don't have both in the same class.

I see no end to the Reichard/Knapp goaltender rotation anytime soon.
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I'm curious about Tiesling. He doesn't have a history of putting up numbers or penalty minutes, so is he more of just a role player?

Comment

I have no knowledge of Tiesling other than watching a few practices, but I am hoping for a Loupee/Lacombe type player. That would be a plus.

I am a little concerned about the d. If Loverde cannot return, all of a sudden Miami is thin on d with no d coming in. Tomassoni struggled some down the stretch, IMO, at least against the high end teams. I guess what I am saying is Miami can't afford to have any d leave early, especially with Loverde's situation.

The new assistant situation is interesting. Miami needs a recruiter with experience and a presence. I don't know if that is out there, but that is what they need, IMO. But I guess that is what every team needs.

My guess is Palauzzo and Cook are certain to be here. After that, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
            I am a little concerned about the d. If Loverde cannot return, all of a sudden Miami is thin on d with no d coming in. Tomassoni struggled some down the stretch, IMO, at least against the high end teams. I guess what I am saying is Miami can't afford to have any d leave early, especially with Loverde's situation.
            Is there any indication that LoVerde might not be returning next season? In line with that what kind of expectations are there for Kennedy if he has to step into a regular spot on the blue line.

Comment

I have no knowledge of Tiesling other than watching a few practices, but I am hoping for a Loupee/Lacombe type player. That would be a plus.

The new assistant situation is interesting. Miami needs a recruiter with experience and a presence. I don't know if that is out there, but that is what they need, IMO. But I guess that is what every team needs.

My guess is Palauzzo and Cook are certain to be here. After that, I don't know.
              Im going to throw a name out there, be interested to see what redeagle thinks about it. Kevyn Adams....Played with both berg and blasi at miami. Doesn't have much coaching experience but has been around the program a lot the last few years. Obviously loves the university, former player that understands what it takes at the next level and he is a Stanley cup champion for petes sake.

Also '95 threw this out to me and I don't know about it but what does everyone think about possibly bringing in Markell??? He recruited very well at OSU just couldn't coach them up.

As for next year they graduate 3 so I would anticipate bringing in just 3 since the '11 class is so large. Tiesling, Cook, Paulazz, and I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy comes. Those 4 is all I would expect to see.

As for Tomassoni, I like him. Even if loverde can't come back you still have 7 D. I don't see anyone leaving early, too much to play for next year and this team is extremely close knit. I would chalk up tomassoni's shakyness to not playing that much. Maybe another summer and playing consistantly you see more out of him. I would suspect the 4th line to be mason, mantha, and either VAIVE or tiesling.

So it will be interesting over the next few weeks to see what happens. I will be willing to bet that there are a lot of people wanting this Miami coaching job since it has now become a stepping stone type job with 2 assistants getting head jobs. Wouldn't be suprised if next year we have to worry about coach Brekke getting a gig either, or this year OSU's job is still open.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                Is there any indication that LoVerde might not be returning next season? In line with that what kind of expectations are there for Kennedy if he has to step into a regular spot on the blue line.
                We won't know about Loverde until next fall most likely, lots of test and stuff over the summer. Never mess around with a heart issue. I wouldn't expect Kennedy to play much next season. I would think he atleast dresses for a few games, but even if Loverde can't go you still have 6 other guys in front of Kennedy. He is a big body though, thick kid. Not a great skater but has good hockey sense. I would say his skating ability is similar to Weber's his freshman year. He has progressed though. Good thing, though, is that tomassoni can play forward so he is an option up there next year and they could still bring in a defenseman this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                  Also '95 threw this out to me and I don't know about it but what does everyone think about possibly bringing in Markell??? He recruited very well at OSU just couldn't coach them up.
                  I'm sure he has great recruiting ties in the region and 16 (?) years of head coaching experience so there are certainly positives. But he is still a relatively young guy, I would be surprised if he wanted to settle for being an assistant, unless just as a hold over until a lower echelon head coaching job gave him a look.

I don't know anything about Kevyn Adams but it would at the very least be an exciting hire. Miami alum with a cup on his resume could do some nice things as far as recruiting goes.
                  Last edited by MUhawks628; 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I'm seriously considering the upgrade to extra just so I don't have to look at the BC championship gear add for the next 6 months. Sigh...

Comment

rhm, Adams was the first person I thought of, but I have no idea if that is even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        I'm sure he has great recruiting ties in the region and 16 (?) years of head coaching experience so there are certainly positives. But he is still a relatively young guy, I would be surprised if he wanted to settle for being an assistant, unless just as a hold over until a lower echelon head coaching job gave him a look.

I don't know anything about Kevyn Adams but it would at the very least be an exciting hire. Miami alum with a cup on his resume could do some nice things as far as recruiting goes.
                        Well the BG job was the only other one at this point he had a shot at. Unless he wants to take time off or go coach juniors an assistants position at Miami isn't a bad way to go. Salary around 100k a year at a program that is still moving upward would be attractive. Would also be able to spring board it into another job if he wanted. I don't know if I would be in favor of it, but it was an interesting option.
                        rhm, Adams was the first person I thought of, but I have no idea if that is even possible.
                        He was the first guy I thought of too. Guy had a terrific career at Miami, familiar with what the program is doing, and knows Rico really well. I don't know if it is something he wants to get into but he is a wonderful guy and would do a great job if it is something he would do. I think it would put some excitement into the program after the lull of the FF. Who knows, something interesting to think about.

Comment

I had thought of Markell too. Great recruiter, just something happened when his boys hit the ice that things didn't click the way they should have, whether it was him or some other problems who knows.

Interesting thoughts on Kevyn, had wondered who could step in with Miami connections and fill the role. He'd be a great choice and if he was interested in coaching that'd be a good fit to get his feet wet.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                            I had thought of Markell too. Great recruiter, just something happened when his boys hit the ice that things didn't click the way they should have, whether it was him or some other problems who knows.

Interesting thoughts on Kevyn, had wondered who could step in with Miami connections and fill the role. He'd be a great choice and if he was interested in coaching that'd be a good fit to get his feet wet.
                            especially as an offensive coach. Guy knew how to put the puck in the net a little bit. He could really be a big help with the power play unit. Think it might be a stretch but he enjoys coming back to oxford in his retirement days. Whether he wants to hop on the bus again is another question.

Comment

Going to rant for a second....so bare with me.

Going to start by saying Wilson from RIT and York from BC are great coaches and their teams had remarkable years.

yes there is a but....

But what does Rico got to do to win the National COY? Not only did they lose a heartbreaker a year prior in the national championship game, but they faced questions all year about them and that game. They got reminded every day about blowing a 2 goal lead in the last minute. Couple that with the tragic passing of a member of their program and this team had to deal with a lot this season. Having said that, all they did this year was destroy the CCHA and run away with the regular season and make it back to the Frozen Four despite all of the previous things mentioned. IMO this season might of been his best coaching performance ever, being able to keep his guys focused on the task at hand and not getting swallowed up by everything around them. I don't know what more besides winning the title he could of done to make a better case. Wilson at RIT didn't win the title either and they weren't faced with anything more than what Miami had this year. Just burns me that when a guy really truly deserves it he gets passed over for the feel good story....

Ok sorry for wasting everyone's time, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Comment

Working...
                              X