• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst Coaches of All Time

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
    Jim Culhane

[Thread over]
    This thread should come to a crashing halt here.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Hall of Fame
      Chris Serino Class of 1971

Induction Class of 2006
      Baseball
      Football
      Ice Hockey (M)

Chris Serino was a three sport athlete for AIC from 1968-71, lettering in baseball, football and men’s ice hockey. While he started in football as a quarterback and defensive back and in hockey as a wing, Serino earned his highest acclaim on the diamond. As a senior in 1971, he posted a batting average of .472, tops in the College Division that season and still the school record for single season batting average. That mark also made him the first batter in school history to reach the vaunted .400 mark. He earned Topps All-America honors and was named the recipient of the President's Cup in 1971, awarded to the outstanding senior athlete at AIC.

After graduation Serino was named the head hockey coach at Saugus (Mass.) High School, a post he held for 12 seasons. From there he went on to Northfield Mount Hermon School for six years, earning New England Prep Coach of the Year accolades. Serino then served a nine-year stint (1989-98) as associate head hockey coach and head baseball coach at the University of New Hampshire, helping guide the Wildcats to six NCAA tournament appearances, including a Frozen Four appearance in 1997 when the team won a school-record 26 games.

He then went on to become head hockey coach at Merrimack College from 1999-2005 and served as that school's athletic director for three years. He is now the Director of Athletics at Malden Catholic High School.

#6 Merrimack vs. #3 Boston University - Who would have predicted that the Merrimack College Warriors would find themselves sitting in 6th place at the end of the season? Certainly not this guy! Merrimack finds itself in the postseason for the first time since 2004, back in the Chris Serino era, with guys like goaltender Jim Healey and Marco Rosa tearing up the place at Lawler Arena

Lets not forget Ricci, a Serino recruit who was key to teams limited success for 2 years with new coach.
      Scmidtz etc

Mc just does not have support to win, sad but true at the bc/bu levels

Amazing how the biggest donor quit Merrimack and went to MC with serino and donated a million pus, as did red Sox parntner joe O'Donnell. They have raised more then merrimack

Now a program in the tank for a decade with a great history goes to super 8 final for 4 years in a row and athletics have turned around

dennehy has done a good job at Merrimack with his support
      We've been down this road before.

Chris Serino's althetic accomplishments @ AIC were outstanding; no one is denying that, but neither does that have ANYTHING to do with this thread. Neither does his very successful stint at UNH as associate head coach and top notch recruiter. But given his record at Merrimack, you have to at the very least consider him amongst the least successful (worst?) coaches in college hockey history. In 5 years, his overall winning % was 30.7%. Highest HE finish was 7th.

Lets not forget Ricci, a Serino recruit who was key to teams limited success for 2 years with new coach.
      Scmidtz etc
      You do recall that Ricci was suspended by Dennehey for an entire season? Not exactly a "key" contributor that particular year.

Mc just does not have support to win, sad but true at the bc/bu levels I agree! But my expectations are not that lofty. For them to occasionally compete for home ice (if Da Costa stays, 2010-2011 perhaps?) or be in the mix for 3rd-6th place would be great! Does Providence have the support necessary?, How 'bout UML or UMass? NU?

Amazing how the biggest donor quit Merrimack and went to MC with serino and donated a million pus, as did red Sox parntner joe O'Donnell. They have raised more then merrimack If "the biggest donor" did quit Merrimack, that is a shame. He and Ron Connors, both classmates of mine, and Ken Ruane '80, raised over $2.0M to rename the rink after Thom Lawler. However, if he is contributing to Malden Catholic, that's not too bad from my perspective as that is my alma mater.

Now a program in the tank for a decade with a great history goes to super 8 final for 4 years in a row and athletics have turned around Malden Catholic hockey especially, lest anyone be confused. Absolutley terrific job bringing the hockey team back to prominence. I have no doubt that they would have won the Super 8 this year had they not lost a couple of outstanding prospects to Juniors (Adams) and Prep(Cerratani). And the baseball team is an annual contender (now football still needs some work )

Bottom line, I'm glad that Chris has a great situation at MC, but I still believe the posters are correct to include him amongst the worst college coaches. Doesn't make him a bad guy.
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
        We've been down this road before.

Chris Serino's althetic accomplishments @ AIC were outstanding; no one is denying that, but neither does that have ANYTHING to do with this thread. Neither does his very successful stint at UNH as associate head coach and top notch recruiter. But given his record at Merrimack, you have to at the very least consider him amongst the least successful (worst?) coaches in college hockey history. In 5 years, his overall winning % was 30.7%. Highest HE finish was 7th.

Scmidtz etc
        You do recall that Ricci was suspended by Dennehey for an entire season? Not exactly a "key" contributor that particular year.

Mc just does not have support to win, sad but true at the bc/bu levels I agree! But my expectations are not that lofty. For them to occasionally compete for home ice (if Da Costa stays, 2010-2011 perhaps?) or be in the mix for 3rd-6th place would be great! Does Providence have the support necessary?, How 'bout UML or UMass? NU?

Amazing how the biggest donor quit Merrimack and went to MC with serino and donated a million pus, as did red Sox parntner joe O'Donnell. They have raised more then merrimack If "the biggest donor" did quit Merrimack, that is a shame. He and Ron Connors, both classmates of mine, and Ken Ruane '80, raised over $2.0M to rename the rink after Thom Lawler. However, if he is contributing to Malden Catholic, that's not too bad from my perspective as that is my alma mater.

Now a program in the tank for a decade with a great history goes to super 8 final for 4 years in a row and athletics have turned around Malden Catholic hockey especially, lest anyone be confused. Absolutley terrific job bringing the hockey team back to prominence. I have no doubt that they would have won the Super 8 this year had they not lost a couple of outstanding prospects to Juniors (Adams) and Prep(Cerratani). And the baseball team is an annual contender (now football still needs some work )

Bottom line, I'm glad that Chris has a great situation at MC, but I still believe the posters are correct to include him amongst the worst college coaches. Doesn't make him a bad guy.
        Ricci was suspended, for acts done while Dennehy was coaching and monitoring him. Nothing what so ever to do with Serino. He was Denneheys best player for 3 years and a captain. I always admired the fact he didnt just cut him loose and was glad it ended well. Ricci was suspended his second year under Dennehy and was the teams leading scorer all 3 years he played for him. Thanks CS, great recruit

Thread didnt say head coaches..

PC/UML/NU/UMass have budgets far superior and rinks ten times better. Maybe not fan wise but light years in regards to funding and facilities.

Agreed on its good for Malden Catholic but as an insider, you must know the board and alum were semi fractured when CS left. Even hiring coach before AD shows how disfunctional it was. Good job by Dennehy to keep his eye on only what he could control and not get hung up on bs stuff.

First year
        Serino 11-24-1
        Dennehy 6-23-5

Second Year
        Serino 11-19-6
        Dennehy 3-27-4

Third Year
        Serino 14-20-4
        Dennehy 12-18-4

Fourth Year
        Serino 11-23-2
        Dennehey 9-21-4

Fith Year
        Serino 12-18-6
        Dennehy 16-19-2

Total first 5 year record
        Serino 59-104-19
        Dennehy 46-108-19

Serino did better job winning wise first 4 years out of the 5 in comparison. he also made playoffs every eyar, MD didnt

Serino did coach an extra 2 years, and went 11-19-6 and 8-26-2
        Dennehys other year as a head coach he went 3-28-3 in a lower conference and the following year they disolved the program

Serino went to HE playoffs 6 times.
        Dennehy went to playoffs once and lost in first round.

If your going to put CS on this list, which I dont think is close to fair, Dennehy needs to be on it and his results at Fairfield etc would put him higher up the list, and I dont think he should be on it either...

Great for Merrimack to be having so much fun but under 500 is still under 500, with zero advancement on a new rink

CS finished last 1 time, MD was dead last 3 times in 5 years, tied for last in other
        Last edited by Hokydad; 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Serino went to HE playoffs in 98 season and beat BU in qtrs went again in 6 more times.
          Wasn't Ron Anderson the coach when Merrimack beat BU in 98?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
            Wasn't Ron Anderson the coach when Merrimack beat BU in 98?
            yes, cs took over in 98/98 so ron would have been coach for the beg of 98, i.e. the playoffs

my bad
            Last edited by Hokydad; 04-15-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              Before the name Rick Comley is submitted

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                No kidding. Listen to you people claiming coaches like Blasi or Umile that have lost in the Frozen Four or in the NCAA tournament. Really?

Culhane never even reached Joe Louis Arena in 11+ years at Western. Every other CCHA team made at least one trip in that period. They didn't qualify when the top 6 freaking teams were invited, and they sure as hell didn't go when it changed to a semifinal format. He won two playoff series, both first round series and promptly was swept out of the quarters both times. Without looking it up, I believe WMU went 6-23 in those playoff rounds.

Hell, even Michigan Tech's made a recent trip to the WCHA Final Five, and they're probably being outspent by their big league opponents by another degree that isn't happening in the CCHA yet. (Mariucci/Kohl/Englestad vs. Yost/Munn, etc.)
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

yes, cs took over in 05/06 so ron would have been coach for the beg of 05, i.e. the playoffs

my bad
                  You know nothing. Nothing about what happened that led to Chris Serino's firing. And nothing about the coaching at Merrimack. Chris Serino did not take over in 2005-2006. He took over the season after Merrimack's upset over BU in 1998. Ron Anderson was canned after the 97-98 season.
                  Last edited by REDMEN2002; 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM.
                  National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                  two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                  b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                    You know nothing. Nothing about what happened that led to Chris Serino's firing. And nothing about the coaching at Merrimack. Chris Serino did not take over in 2005-2006. He took over the season after Merrimack's upset over BU in 1998. Ron Anderson was canned after the 97-98 season.
                    I think that's what he meant...no clue why he got the years so wrong.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                      I screwed up typing, went back and changed dates as per time line.

CS did not get fired. Left MC 100% on his own, had full support of Santagati, school president.

It worked out good for both schools
                      Last edited by Hokydad; 04-15-2010, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglehockeyrules View Post

Hey I am just saying if I had to chose between York and Umile.
                        Wow, captain obvious, really going out on a limb there.

The fact that Umile is suggested in a thread titled 'Worst Coaches of All Time' shows how ******** some people are. Period.

Congrats on winning another title, and continuing the tradition of winning with such little class that its impossible to be happy for an incredible coach and highly entertaining team.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                          Figured this would be more fun than the "Best Coaches of All Time" thread.
                          Worst PLAYOFF Coach of All Time: Scott Owens

FIRE SCOTTY OWENS

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                            Congrats on winning another title, and continuing the tradition of winning with such little class that its impossible to be happy for an incredible coach and highly entertaining team.

so sad.

truth is, though, there is simply no more room on the bandwagon anyway; especially for the unwashed.
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Ricci was suspended, for acts done while Dennehy was coaching and monitoring him. Nothing what so ever to do with Serino. He was Denneheys best player for 3 years and a captain. I always admired the fact he didnt just cut him loose and was glad it ended well. Ricci was suspended his second year under Dennehy and was the teams leading scorer all 3 years he played for him. Thanks CS, great recruit

Thread didnt say head coaches..

PC/UML/NU/UMass have budgets far superior and rinks ten times better. Maybe not fan wise but light years in regards to funding and facilities.

Agreed on its good for Malden Catholic but as an insider, you must know the board and alum were semi fractured when CS left. Even hiring coach before AD shows how disfunctional it was. Good job by Dennehy to keep his eye on only what he could control and not get hung up on bs stuff.

First year
                              Serino 11-24-1
                              Dennehy 6-23-5

Second Year
                              Serino 11-19-6
                              Dennehy 3-27-4

Third Year
                              Serino 14-20-4
                              Dennehy 12-18-4

Fourth Year
                              Serino 11-23-2
                              Dennehey 9-21-4

Fith Year
                              Serino 12-18-6
                              Dennehy 16-19-2

Total first 5 year record
                              Serino 59-104-19
                              Dennehy 46-108-19

Serino did better job winning wise first 4 years out of the 5 in comparison. he also made playoffs every eyar, MD didnt

Serino did coach an extra 2 years, and went 11-19-6 and 8-26-2
                              Dennehys other year as a head coach he went 3-28-3 in a lower conference and the following year they disolved the program

Serino went to HE playoffs 6 times.
                              Dennehy went to playoffs once and lost in first round.

If your going to put CS on this list, which I dont think is close to fair, Dennehy needs to be on it and his results at Fairfield etc would put him higher up the list, and I dont think he should be on it either...

Great for Merrimack to be having so much fun but under 500 is still under 500, with zero advancement on a new rink

CS finished last 1 time, MD was dead last 3 times in 5 years, tied for last in other
                              Honest, my last input on the topic:

Thread didnt say head coaches..C'mon, you're kidding right?

PC/UML/NU/UMass have budgets far superior and rinks ten times better. Maybe not fan wise but light years in regards to funding and facilities. Certainly UMass, UML and NU have MUCH better rinks. Let's see if, after the Lawler renovation, you still think "the Coffin" is 10 times better.

As regards, comparing the 1st five years for each coach, this is completely disingenuous. When Serino took over in '98-'99, he inherited Kris Porter (MC's alltime goal scoring leader in D1) and Reggie Stringer (MC's all time points leader in D1) Stringer had 56 points that year.
                              When Dennehey took over, he inherited a team that had won 1 game in HE the previous season, and was in shambles! That cupboard was bare. Ricci was a pretty good recruit, but honestly, there wasn't much else.

And the playoff comparison is weak. Serino was competing in a 9 team league, Dennehey in a 10 team league with the addition of UVM. By the way, Dennehey already has more career playoff wins (1) than Serino.

Done with this
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                                Honest, my last input on the topic:

Thread didnt say head coaches..C'mon, you're kidding right?

PC/UML/NU/UMass have budgets far superior and rinks ten times better. Maybe not fan wise but light years in regards to funding and facilities. Certainly UMass, UML and NU have MUCH better rinks. Let's see if, after the Lawler renovation, you still think "the Coffin" is 10 times better.

As regards, comparing the 1st five years for each coach, this is completely disingenuous. When Serino took over in '98-'99, he inherited Kris Porter (MC's alltime goal scoring leader in D1) and Reggie Stringer (MC's all time points leader in D1) Stringer had 56 points that year.
                                When Dennehey took over, he inherited a team that had won 1 game in HE the previous season, and was in shambles! That cupboard was bare. Ricci was a pretty good recruit, but honestly, there wasn't much else.

And the playoff comparison is weak. Serino was competing in a 9 team league, Dennehey in a 10 team league with the addition of UVM. By the way, Dennehey already has more career playoff wins (1) than Serino.

Done with this
                                Good for you but that does not mean you get the last word, you dont.

Five full seasons and still under 500. Record no better, actually wors then CS. To be handed Ricci, stud times 2 and Schmidtz etc. Come on, did you forget good old number 4??

I will believe the rink improvements when I see them. Not for one second do i think Lawlor will ever be as good as the rinks you just mentioned, never in the next 5-7 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X