Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Colgate win was a good one. C was frustrated all night by Brown's play. As Kdiff stated it has been awhile since we have seen such control. True, 4 goals against and a PK that is still a work in progress, but the team as a whole must have realized that when they play to their potential - and Brendan has been great in getting that out -they can play well and beat anyone.

Some other comments about the game -

-Harry Z is worth the proverbial price of admission. His second goal was an incredible shot considering the angle he took the shot from. At one point he stood in front of the Colgate goalie as everyone was going to the Brown end after a stoppage in play and I was waiting for the Harry stuff to happen. The goalie pushed Harry away via his facemask but Harry just skated away. Finally, some control.

-I watched Jimmy Siers and Jeff Ryan closely while they were on the ice. Both gave Brown some quality minutes and Brendan seemed to have a lot of confidence in them.

-It was great that each of the 4 seniors got at least one point last night. A solid overall class. Roger saw their potential with his recruiting of them and Brendan got that potential out. While everyone will probably agree that Harry Z will be tough to replace, I think the loss of Fratkin and Brownscheidle is big because those two always did the little things that contribute to Ws. Russell was simply Mr. Steady through his four years and that presence will be missed as well.

Comment

Bruno: Will we be able to get tickets for the Q playoff series through the Brown ticket office? I am not sure of what my plans will be for next weekend and I would rather have the tickets in hand in the event I can make itrather than showing up at Q with nothing available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        Bruno: Will we be able to get tickets for the Q playoff series through the Brown ticket office? I am not sure of what my plans will be for next weekend and I would rather have the tickets in hand in the event I can make it rather than showing up at Q with nothing available.
        ECAC Championship Tournament guidelines provide for each visiting team's ticket office to receive a block of tickets for both the Friday and Saturday night games. Brown's allotment should be received on Tuesday and sales to public will begin as soon as the tickets are processed, probably the same day. Should the series be extended to a third game, tickets for Sunday will be placed on sale at Q's TD Bank Sports Center immediately following Saturday night's game. The Brown Ticket Office telephone number is (401) 863-2773. See you in Hamden next weekend.
        LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
          In case you were wondering when the last time Brown swept both Cornell and Colgate in the same season:

The answer is: NEVER.
          I actually was wondering that as I walked out of Meehan. Wow! That's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
            -Harry Z is worth the proverbial price of admission. His second goal was an incredible shot considering the angle he took the shot from. At one point he stood in front of the Colgate goalie as everyone was going to the Brown end after a stoppage in play and I was waiting for the Harry stuff to happen. The goalie pushed Harry away via his facemask but Harry just skated away. Finally, some control.
            I was hoping Whittet would say something that would finally get to Harry after the misconduct, and it appears as though he did. Hopefully he carries this slightly more restrained, and yet still productive, version of himself into the playoffs.

Comment

Here's the link to a recent Channel 10 (Providence) interview featuring captain Harry Zolnierczyk '11 and coach Brendan Whittet '94:

http://turnto10.com/vi/25708/?sms_ss...5a3cd6bb18%2C0

A 15-second ad precedes the interview.
              Last edited by bruno; 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM.
              LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Harry Zolnierczyk named Ivy Player of the Year:

http://brownbears.com/sports/m-hocke...20110303ihasry

Wow!

Comment

Less than 24 hours to get your ECAC Pick The Playoffs 2011 Edition Picks in. Remember 7:00PM Friday Knight is the cutoff.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post

http://brownbears.com/sports/m-hocke...20110303ihasryWow!
                    WOW is right!! Great honor for Harry. I trust his anger management issues are behind him and he continues this past weekend's play at Q this weekend. AC is not looking like a hopeless cause at all.

Comment

http://brownbears.com/sports/m-hocke...20110303ihasry

Wow!
                      Well-deserved honor. Harry Z was dominant in Ivy games this year.

It's a testimony to the league coaches' fairness that they were able to put aside any animosity towards Harry, and recognize his enormous talent and gritty performance this season, which included at least a couple of truly spectacular goals: the winning goal against Yale at Meehan on January 16 and his second goal against Cornell last Friday.

It was also nice that the coaches recognized freshman defenseman Dennis Robertson with a second-team selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        Well-deserved honor. Harry Z was dominant in Ivy games this year.

It's a testimony to the league coaches' fairness that they were able to put aside any animosity towards Harry, and recognize his enormous talent and gritty performance this season, which included at least a couple of truly spectacular goals: the winning goal against Yale at Meehan on January 16 and his second goal against Cornell last Friday.

It was also nice that the coaches recognized freshman defenseman Dennis Robertson with a second-team selection.
                        Agreed. The discussion about Harry has been fair - he takes a lot of penalties, has not endeared himself to many opponents or officials, and plays with an edge unlike many in the league. He also can display incredible offensive prowess and skill, skates with a pace that is among the best I've ever seen from a Brown forward, and finishes his hits. That the coaches would recognize that talent shows what is valued: two-way ability, scoring touch, pace, and physicality.

I'd have to imagine there are some Yale folks who would argue Cahill or Miller was slighted.

I'd like to get people's thoughts on Quinnipiac, who has won exactly once since January 28. I think it's a good matchup - they don't appear to have any one dominant scorer, are a little on the younger side, and have had trouble finishing as late. On the same note, they play everyone tough, have seemed to shore things up defensively, and have a couple of terrific young forwards. They may not have won many games, but tying Union and RPI with home ice on the line has to count for something.

Also, I see a new Q&A with Brendan Whittet on the front page of Brownbears.com. Pretty honest assessment of the past weekend and where the Bears are, as they move to week one of the playoffs.

Comment

Also, I see a new Q&A with Brendan Whittet on the front page of Brownbears.com. Pretty honest assessment of the past weekend and where the Bears are, as they move to week one of the playoffs.
                          Thanks for reminding us of the latest Q&A with Brendan Whittet. Brendan is always a great interview. The man is knowledgeable, articulate, and fair. He's an outstanding representative of his Alma Mater.

And let's not forget the classy interviewer, Mike Rubin, who sounds more like an English teacher than a reporter.

Comment

So ... what happened last night? And does anyone think it will happen again tonight? Or was last night an anomaly?

I was watching via video stream and between the crappy quality of the video and the discouraging play by Brown, I gave up after two periods. Went to the TV and turned on the Boston College/New Hampshire game: much better.

Hoping the Bears get their mojo back tonight!

Comment

I was at the game last night and Brown was terrible for the first two periods, lousy passing and a step behind every play. They came alive somewhat in the third by basically matching Q's play, which is how I thought the whole series would be like. If Brown can keep up playing like they did in the third last night they may have a chance. Your goalie was rattled by that first goal and never recovered, your coach will have an interesting decision tonight about who will play goal, as the replacement played very well.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                                I was at the game last night and Brown was terrible for the first two periods, lousy passing and a step behind every play. They came alive somewhat in the third by basically matching Q's play, which is how I thought the whole series would be like. If Brown can keep up playing like they did in the third last night they may have a chance. Your goalie was rattled by that first goal and never recovered, your coach will have an interesting decision tonight about who will play goal, as the replacement played very well.
                                I would be shocked if Clemente doesn't start. He was clearly off, but Borelli has only played in two games this year.

We had no physical presence last night at all, and I felt like Q sat back in the third... for the game, our three or four best shots at Clarke ended up blocked by their D. Just an abysmal performance.

I think we will know by the end of the first ten minutes if last night was an anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                                X