Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    I think you're spot on with your assessment of the team meeting its expectations. We're obviously still rebuilding, and it'll be a few years before Brendan will have his mentality and his schemes fully employed.

However, your statement regarding Clemente's potential to become one of the top GK's in the league stood out to me. We've been saying this since his spectacular performance against Harvard in the playoffs his freshman season. And he has never backed up these assumptions with consistently decent or better play in the regular season. This past weekend is a perfect example- a stinker at Princeton and a gem at QU. Yes, his defense needs to improve, but if he were truly one of the best goalies in the league, he'd keep his team in every game. Which he doesn't. Certainly, he has the potential to do so, and in fact, he should be in the upper echelon of netminders in our league.

But he's not.

This prompts me to ask: what is the problem? Why can't he ever seem to put together back-to-back solid performances in the regular season? He has been undoubtedly the best goalie in the playoffs the past three years, but his regular season numbers have gone from decent to mediocre to downright awful. The kid steps up for games like Yale and BU, but not for Princeton or RPI. I want to be able to have a goalie we can trust to preserve a lead late in a game or keep us in a game we start slowly, but right now, we don't. DiFilippo and Borelli don't appear to be anything special, and Clemente's talent has not yet yielded consistent play.

So what do we do? Recruit another goalie, even though we already have 3? We have quite a conundrum if Clemente can't become the star he should be next season.
    Well said! Perhaps the Q game will get him ready for the next 3 games. But even if Mike C gets back to high level of play, Brown's performance on the power play both ways has been dreadful. That caliber of play may doom Brown even with really solid goaltending.

Also, what was Brendan complaining about when he drew the penalty? Was it a specific call/non-call or the accumulation of bad officiating as Q's announcers seemed to be complaining about

Comment

Jeff Prough was recently called up to the Albany Devils. I went to this afternoon's game to watch him. He is still the solid all-around player he was at Brown. It was interesting that he played on the first unit power play and was terrific in working the puck around. He then began playing a lot of D on the power play. All of this and he played a regular shift as well. Reminded me of all the double and triple shifts he played under Roger. Jeff then got the go-ahead goal beating Mike leighton, who took the Flers last year to the Stanley Cup finals in close. A great representative of Brown hockey. I don't know what future he has with the parent club but I think a lot of teams in the NHL could use his talents.

BTW, Jeff was playing with McIntire from Colgate and Zalewski from CT. Great to see 3 ECAC players.

Comment

The news on Jack Maclellan isn't good. He had surgery yesterday and will be out for at least four weeks. Really bad break for a terrific kid as well as for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
          Also, what was Brendan complaining about when he drew the penalty? Was it a specific call/non-call or the accumulation of bad officiating as Q's announcers seemed to be complaining about
          Brendan was complaining about a non-call on a hit from behind as time expired in the second period.

Comment

Chris H's recruit page has an additional commitment for 2011 on 1/21 from a Massino Lamacchia, a leading scorer in the BCHL. He looks promising. Euler, I know that you don't like to comment on recruits, but is this the last of Brendan's 2011 class? By my count he has 8 players coming in next year.

Comment

BTW, Jeff was playing with McIntyre from Colgate and Zalewski from CT. Great to see 3 ECAC players.
              Fixed it
              Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Hey Brown fans...just reminiscing about your amazing, late run last season. Definitely serves as an inspiration for others in the playoffs. Good luck Bears.
                C O L G A T E
                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                1990 NCAA FINALS
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Chris H's recruit page has an additional commitment for 2011 on 1/21 from a Massino Lamacchia, a leading scorer in the BCHL. He looks promising. Euler, I know that you don't like to comment on recruits, but is this the last of Brendan's 2011 class? By my count he has 8 players coming in next year.
                  Mike: I know how dedicated a fan you are and how excited you've been about the direction in which Brendan is taking the hockey program, so I wish I could answer your question. Unfortunately, NCAA rules don't permit me to make public comments on prospects until they officially accept Brown's offer of admission, which normally only happens in April.

Comment

Well, this team seems to have found some consistency. It has no trouble losing games whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                      Mike: I know how dedicated a fan you are and how excited you've been about the direction in which Brendan is taking the hockey program, so I wish I could answer your question. Unfortunately, NCAA rules don't permit me to make public comments on prospects until they officially accept Brown's offer of admission, which normally only happens in April.
                      Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious...

If NCAA rules prohibit you from making comments until official acceptance of admission (as opposed to letters of intent or commitments), I assume you must have some direct tie, inside track to the inner workings of the team, or NCAA affiliation that allows them to prohibit you. How are you tied to the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        Brendan wants to rebuild the Brown program on two pillars: skating ability up front, and mobility at defense.
                        In light of this, I found Brendan's quote in today's Brown Daily Herald* interesting:
                        "Our problem is that we can't score. We don't have naturally gifted guys around the net." (He was discussing Brown's lack of scoring in spite of out-shooting other teams.)

Where, oh where, is our next Damian Prescott?

* Source: http://www.browndailyherald.com/bear...ecac-1.2478270

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                          In light of this, I found Brendan's quote in today's Brown Daily Herald* interesting:
                          "Our problem is that we can't score. We don't have naturally gifted guys around the net." (He was discussing Brown's lack of scoring in spite of out-shooting other teams.)

Looks like he might be among those in next year's class who are listed as committed on Chris H's page. That class has as much if not more potential than this year's incoming class.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post

He could be in the Freshman class. Prescott didn't exactly set the world on fire in his freshman and sophomore years. Give these guys a chance to develop.

Comment

Looking forward to games tonight and tomorrow. With a good effort there is a chance to finish 7th and home ice but even 8th and home ice will do. Hopefully the alumni weekend will add to attendance. I trust the Atheletics department is trying to get the student body to attend. LARGE CROWD WOULD BE GREAT!

Comment

Looking forward to games tonight and tomorrow. With a good effort there is a chance to finish 7th and home ice but even 8th and home ice will do. Hopefully the alumni weekend will add to attendance. I trust the Atheletics department is trying to get the student body to attend. LARGE CROWD WOULD BE GREAT!
                                Good luck against Cornell tonight. Obviously the RPI fan base is hoping you guys win that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X