Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Onlooker View Post
    Euler18 - Did I miss it or has the Brown Hockey All Academic list yet to be posted for the year just completed?
    Aaron Volpatti was selected to the Winter Academic All-Ivy team, one of five Brown male athletes to do so. He was also selected to the District I ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America At-Large second team.

Aaron received a Sc.B. degree with a concentration in Human Biology.

Brown placed twenty-eight skaters on the ECAC Men's Hockey All-Academic Team. I assume no responsibility and take no credit for the extraordinarily high numbers Here's the list of players and their majors (i.e., what we call "concentrations" at Brown):

Evan Atkinson Fr. Undeclared
    Anthony Borelli Fr. Undeclared
    David Brownschidle* Jr. Economics
    Jeff Buvinow So. Undeclared
    Mike Clemente* So. Undeclared
    Richie Crowley Fr. Undeclared
    Francis Drolet Fr. Undeclared
    Bobby Farnham* So. Undeclared
    Tyler Fernandez*^ Jr. Economics
    Jesse Fratkin*^ Jr. Commerce, Organizations & Entrepreneurship
    Scott Harff Fr. Undeclared
    Riley LaForge* So. Undeclared
    Jack Maclellan* So. Undeclared
    Sean McMonagle*^ Sr. History
    Jordan Pietrus*^ Sr. Commerce, Organizations, & Entrepreneurship
    Dan Rosen*^ Sr. Political Science and Commerce, Organizations, & Entrepreneurship
    Jeremy Russell* Jr. Economics & Neuroscience
    Jeff Ryan Fr. Undeclared
    Marc Senecal Fr. Undeclared
    Jarred Smith* So. Undeclared
    Trevor Smyth Fr. Undeclared
    Hunter Thunell* Sr. International Relations
    Devin Timberlake *^ Sr. Commerce, Organizations, & Entrepreneurship
    Scott Van der Linden*^ Sr. Economics and Commerce, Organizations, & Entrepreneurship
    Aaron Volpatti*^ Sr. Human Biology
    Mike Wolff* So. Undeclared
    Chris Zaires Fr. Undeclared
    Harry Zolnierczyk* Jr. Economics

* Also made the team in 2008-2009
    ^ Also made the team in 2007-2008

Scott Harff has transferred to Colby College.
    Last edited by Euler18; 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

We have a whole lot of guys who haven't declared their intended majors yet.

Did any Brown players get drafted this past weekend? There's no news about it on the Brown athletic site, and I truthfully do not feel like scrolling through all 7 rounds on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Typically Brown students don't declare their majors until right before they register for Semester V. So, by now all the sophomores have declared their majors, but there's generally a little lag time before that information becomes available.

Did any Brown players get drafted this past weekend? There's no news about it on the Brown athletic site, and I truthfully do not feel like scrolling through all 7 rounds on the website.
        I haven't talked to the coaching staff for the past three weeks, but I don't think any of our players have been drafted. The highest ranked Brown player on the Central Scouting list was incoming defenseman Marc Antoine Carrier at 113, even though another kid, who's on the Brown list for 2011 (and whose name, therefore, I'm not allowed to mention per NCAA rules), was ranked higher. For comparison purposes, Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was ranked 131 and highly touted forward Derek Deblois (whose father Steve played at Brown) was ranked 153.

Comment

I didn't see any Bears on the draft list. Not that I expected to see any either.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Anyone know who is the Brown recruit that was drafted the highest? I remember one recruit, whose name escapes me now, from several years ago that was drafted. He was one of the fastest skaters I have seen playing for Brown but never did anything in his four years. Looking back it looks like he was a victim of the past coaching schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
              I remember one recruit, whose name escapes me now, from several years ago that was drafted. He was one of the fastest skaters I have seen playing for Brown but never did anything in his four years. Looking back it looks like he was a victim of the past coaching schemes.
              The player you refer to was Chris Legg. He had terrific speed though for some reason he couldn't finish off his rushes. He would fit and probably do better in our current system. I'm sure [Professor of Hockey Offenses] Jerry Keefe would design some plays to take advantage of Chris's speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                Anyone know who is the Brown recruit that was drafted the highest?
                Good question. I think it was either David Given'75 or Keith Smith'74.

Bruno to the rescue?

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                  I think it was either David Given '75 or Keith Smith '74. Bruno to the rescue?
                  1968 NHL Draft: Curt Bennett '70 2nd round; 16th overall by the St. Louis Blues

1977 NHL Draft: Neil Labatte '78 2nd round; 27th overall by the St. Louis Blues

2004 NHL Draft: Paul Baier '08 3rd round; 95th overall by the Los Angeles Kings

The answer is PAUL BAIER as he is the only one of the top three listed above who was drafted as a recruit prior to his arrival at Brown. Both Curt Bennett and Neil Labatte were drafted during their respective careers on the Bear varsity.
                  LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                    I haven't talked to the coaching staff for the past three weeks, but I don't think any of our players have been drafted. The highest ranked Brown player on the Central Scouting list was incoming defenseman Marc Antoine Carrier at 113, even though another kid, who's on the Brown list for 2011 (and whose name, therefore, I'm not allowed to mention per NCAA rules), was ranked higher. For comparison purposes, Wisconsin defenseman John Ramage was ranked 131 and highly touted forward Derek Deblois (whose father Steve played at Brown) was ranked 153.
                    Not too hard to figure this out. The 2011 recruit you supposedly can't mention is Garnet Hathaway, from Andover, who was ranked 110 by Central Scouting. Information about recruits is all over the Internet.

By the way, is the Athletic Department censoring your posts? That would be sad. They should be focusing on improving support for the varsity teams, recreation and intramurals, which is dreadful, rather than lurking on this forum. Do they post "corrections" too?

Comment

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

The recurring rites of summer:
                      In yet another instance of the ECAC's annual homage to Harvard's participation in the Beanpot Tournament, Brown's home game with the Crimson, originally scheduled for Saturday, February 5, 2011, has been moved up to Wednesday, February 2, 2011 (7:00 p.m.) at Meehan Auditorium.
                      LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
                        The recurring rites of summer:
                        In yet another instance of the ECAC's annual homage to Harvard's participation in the Beanpot Tournament, Brown's home game with the Crimson, originally scheduled for Saturday, February 5, 2011, has been moved up to Wednesday, February 2, 2011 (7:00 p.m.) at Meehan Auditorium.
                        Ugh. Huck Farvard!!

And I can't believe Baier was one of our highest draftees. As I recall, he spent his time here in the penalty box or getting burned on breakaways for goals.

Comment

And I can't believe Baier was one of our highest draftees. As I recall, he spent his time here in the penalty box or getting burned on breakaways for goals.
                          He's had a solid career in the American Hockey League. Not a lot of goals, but here's one of his fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1VX__aTe4

Comment

Trying to beat the heat, I checked out ebay for "brown university hockey". There is a photo from the 70's for bidding. The link to it is below. Hopefully the link as on this post will allow you to enlarge. In addition to Given, I am curious as to whom the other players are. Bruno, can you help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-BROWN-UNIV...item4aa2bd34ac

Comment

If you take out the players, it looks like that pic of Meehan could have been taken today. That place hasn't changed at all.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                                If you take out the players, it looks like that pic of Meehan could have been taken today. That place hasn't changed at all.
                                Except that the photo wasn't taken at Meehan Auditorium. In fact, it doesn't look at all like Meehan.

Comment

Working...
                                X