Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Less than 24 hours to get your picks in to the ECAC Pick The Playoffs. Need to be in by 4:30 on Friday. Lots of people MIA.

95virago
    allnightwong
    apple2k
    BigRedBrouhaha
    bothman
    Brett Gobe
    Brian Sullivan
    cnor79
    cudmud
    Dutchfan
    hockeyplayer1015
    jmhusker
    johnk
    justlookin'
    Maine-iac
    number 16
    NYHockeyguy
    Onion Man
    Puckie14
    redrocker
    REDRocket
    Rhamilton
    Rhett
    Rjm7272
    rockandrock44
    RPIHFH
    rpihockeyfan13
    rvd5star69
    slu fan
    StayPuftMMcu
    TchrBill
    Union93
    uniondutch21
    UnionPuckLove
    UnionTDX04
    Wholin1
    bcarlisle
    unhpuckfan2001
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Less than 12 hours to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs before the puck drops in game 1. Stragglers are:

95virago
      BigRedBrouhaha
      bothman
      Brett Gobe
      Brian Sullivan
      cnor79
      Dutchfan
      hockeyplayer1015
      jmhusker
      johnk
      Maine-iac
      number 16
      NYHockeyguy
      Onion Man
      Puckie14
      redrocker
      REDRocket
      Rhamilton
      rockandrock44
      RPIHFH
      rvd5star69
      StayPuftMMcu
      TchrBill
      Union93
      uniondutch21
      UnionPuckLove
      UnionTDX04
      bcarlisle
      unhpuckfan2001
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Thoughts on the ECAC Championship Weekend (from the perspective of a Brown watcher):

1. Brown's regular season record against the ECAC Final Four teams was 5-3. Not too shabby...

2. Most of the Cornell-Dartmouth game was a big bore. Cornell plays the most uninteresting style of any team in the league. They're slow and show little creativity. But, obviously, the system works as Cornell seems always to be standing at the end. I was also unimpressed by this Dartmouth team from the moment I first saw them in the Yale tournament last October. Watching them play last night didn't change my opinion. I kept flipping channels between the Cornell-Dartmouth game and the much more interesting Merrimack-UNH Hockey East semifinal though I could only stand thirty seconds of [Hockey East Commissioner] Joe Bertagna's blabber between the second and third periods.

3. The most predictable part of the ECAC telecast was [ECAC Referee Supervisor] Paul Stewart's defense of the officials' glaring mistakes. Only the ECAC office, in its supreme wisdom, could hire Stewart for this position.

4. Why on earth is the ECAC playing its final tournament in Atlantic City? Does the ECAC want to encourage gambling? Is Donald Trump planning to endow the league? The rink seemed to be mostly empty despite the proverbial dedication of the "We can't wait to get out of Ithaca" Cornell fans. Only the ECAC office, in its supreme wisdom, etc.

5. It's too bad Union didn't make the Final Four, as the Skating Dutchmen were the most exciting team in the league, followed by the very solid Yale squad. After that, it was a bunch of pretenders.

6. Colgate played the Brown role this year, getting hot at the end. Kudos to them, but the talent simply wasn't there to move beyond the semifinal.

7. Good luck to Yale and Union in the NCAA tournament. Cornell will also be there if the Big Red wins the ECAC Final Four, which, obviously, is not out of the question in a single eimination tournament. After all, it's not all about flair and style. If that were the case, Brazil always win the World Cup. But Italy (the Cornell of the soccer world) has won four times.

Comment

Further Thoughts on the ECAC Tournament from the Perspective of a Brown Watcher:

1. Yale exposed Cornell's flaws: lack of speed, lack of creativity, an unimaginative containment system, etc. A 10-0 score would have been more indicative of Yale's domination than the actual 6-0 score.

2. In general, the telecast on CBS-C was fine but [ECAC Supervisor of Officials] Paul Stewart was even more annoying in the booth than he's been in the Davis Lounge. Does he EVER stop talking?

3. The attendance was dismal (around 3,000 according to Brian Sullivan). If you check the box scores in collegehockeystats.net, you'll see that attendance was listed as 0 for both nights. Was the ECAC too embarrassed to publicize the real numbers?

4. Yale and Union will represent the ECAC well in the national tournament. I wasn't impressed by RPI at all this year, but I wish the Engineers the best and hope they also do well.

5. I hope the ECAC continues to evolve towards speed and creativity, in other words, more like Yale and Union, and less like Cornell and Dartmouth. Brendan Whittet certainly wants Brown to play an up-tempo game, based on mobile defensemen and speedy forwards. The pieces of the puzzle aren't all there yet, but the Bears are certainly moving in that direction.
          Last edited by Euler18; 03-20-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I would love to see Union come out of that bracket. Sorry, I ain't rooting for Yale*
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              Thoughts on the ECAC Championship Weekend (from the perspective of a Brown watcher):

4. Why on earth is the ECAC playing its final tournament in Atlantic City? Does the ECAC want to encourage gambling? Is Donald Trump planning to endow the league? The rink seemed to be mostly empty despite the proverbial dedication of the "We can't wait to get out of Ithaca" Cornell fans. Only the ECAC office, in its supreme wisdom, etc.
              Amen to that! Anyone in the ECAC office have some gray matter? Hello -- Providence??? All the trappings of a great destination town (hotels, restaurants, novel things to do), easily accessed by all ECAC venues, and the Dunk is big enough for a crowd but small enough not to look like the inside of a schoolhouse during a fire drill if it's not a sell-out. And face it -- RI is a hockey state: ask anyone about high school hockey. (BTW: Congrats to Steve Shea '73, coach of the Mounties' girls' team! But I digress...) Can we pleeeeez bring the ECAC championships to Providence??

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBear View Post
                Amen to that! Anyone in the ECAC office have some gray matter? Hello -- Providence??? All the trappings of a great destination town (hotels, restaurants, novel things to do), easily accessed by all ECAC venues, and the Dunk is big enough for a crowd but small enough not to look like the inside of a schoolhouse during a fire drill if it's not a sell-out. And face it -- RI is a hockey state: ask anyone about high school hockey. Can we pleeeeez bring the ECAC championships to Providence??
                I agree that Providence would be the perfect venue for the ECAC Championship: a wonderful small city with a fine facility, easily accessible from most of the member schools. But the Dunk would have to bid on it, and they don't seem to be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBear View Post
                  Amen to that! Anyone in the ECAC office have some gray matter? Hello -- Providence??? All the trappings of a great destination town (hotels, restaurants, novel things to do), easily accessed by all ECAC venues, and the Dunk is big enough for a crowd but small enough not to look like the inside of a schoolhouse during a fire drill if it's not a sell-out. And face it -- RI is a hockey state: ask anyone about high school hockey. (BTW: Congrats to Steve Shea '73, coach of the Mounties' girls' team! But I digress...) Can we pleeeeez bring the ECAC championships to Providence??
                  Rhode Island may be a high school hockey state, but that's it. Brown and PC's combined attendance over the last decade barely surpasses 3,000 each year, and no one cares about the P-Bruins. Go ask the same people you ask about high school hockey what their opinions are about Brown, PC, or the P-Bruins, and they'll give you a blank stare.

Rhode Island is a basketball/baseball state. Period. There's room for hockey when Mount St. Charles is playing La Salle or Hendricken, but that's about it. The 2000 Frozen Four was held at the Dunk. I don't remember any significant excitement about the event, because no one really cared. On the other hand, when the first round - FIRST ROUND - of the basketball NCAAs was held at the Dunk last year, the state's sports scene was in a frenzy.

Hockey will always be a distant 4th in Rhodey. Providence would be a great host for the ECACs, but not because of any type of local affinity with college hockey. It'd be a great host because of its proximity to every school in the league and its abundance of activities to keep fans entertained before and after the games; not because of the local fans.

If the public cared at all or were even remotely interested in the sport, Brown would have averaged more than 1,500 fans, PC would have averaged more than 1,800, and the P-Bruins would draw more than 25 people who actually go to watch the game and not the fights. As it is, both Brown and PC indisputably inflate their attendance figures (I know I'll take some backlash for that, but it's true and everyone here knows it whether they like it or not), and they are still at the bottom of their conferences in fan support. Bottom line: no one cares about college hockey; no one cares about AHL hockey; and if Bill Belisle and Mount hadn't won 30 of the last 34 high school state championships, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at Rhode Island high school hockey. To call this state a "hockey state" is just not fair, and I apologize if I sound overly harsh in this post, because it is not a personal attack; but I cannot emphasize enough just how little most Rhode Islanders care about hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    To call this state a "hockey state" is just not fair, and I apologize if I sound overly harsh in this post, because it is not a personal attack; but I cannot emphasize enough just how little most Rhode Islanders care about hockey.
                    Apologize for nothing, Kdiff -- guess it's just my bias coming through, but your points are well-taken and I stand corrected. And after suffering through the PC basketball obsession for decades, I should have seen that myself. Thanks for keeping it real.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      Rhode Island may be a high school hockey state, but that's it. Brown and PC's combined attendance over the last decade barely surpasses 3,000 each year, and no one cares about the P-Bruins. Go ask the same people you ask about high school hockey what their opinions are about Brown, PC, or the P-Bruins, and they'll give you a blank stare.

Rhode Island is a basketball/baseball state. Period. There's room for hockey when Mount St. Charles is playing La Salle or Hendricken, but that's about it. The 2000 Frozen Four was held at the Dunk. I don't remember any significant excitement about the event, because no one really cared. On the other hand, when the first round - FIRST ROUND - of the basketball NCAAs was held at the Dunk last year, the state's sports scene was in a frenzy.

Hockey will always be a distant 4th in Rhodey. Providence would be a great host for the ECACs, but not because of any type of local affinity with college hockey. It'd be a great host because of its proximity to every school in the league and its abundance of activities to keep fans entertained before and after the games; not because of the local fans.

If the public cared at all or were even remotely interested in the sport, Brown would have averaged more than 1,500 fans, PC would have averaged more than 1,800, and the P-Bruins would draw more than 25 people who actually go to watch the game and not the fights. As it is, both Brown and PC indisputably inflate their attendance figures (I know I'll take some backlash for that, but it's true and everyone here knows it whether they like it or not), and they are still at the bottom of their conferences in fan support. Bottom line: no one cares about college hockey; no one cares about AHL hockey; and if Bill Belisle and Mount hadn't won 30 of the last 34 high school state championships, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at Rhode Island high school hockey. To call this state a "hockey state" is just not fair, and I apologize if I sound overly harsh in this post, because it is not a personal attack; but I cannot emphasize enough just how little most Rhode Islanders care about hockey.
                      I would have to agree with KDiff, an agreement based on the almost complete absence of coverage of college hockey in the providence Journal. True, an article every now and then about Brown or PC. But apparently no consistent coverage. I was absolutely taken back when after staying over after a Brown game I picked up the Sunday Journal to get the scores from other ECAC schools and Hockey East. NOTHING! Yes, there was a story about the Brown game but it appeared to be nothing but a condensed version of Jean Carhart's write-up. Here in Albany there is very good coverage of the area's two D1 schools, Union and RPI. While some may say that is the result of a down year for Siena BB, I am not so sure about that. It would simply appear that the media in two different markets is responding to the interest or lack thereof in college hockey.

As a comparison, what was the level of coverage during Gaudet's very strong teams in the early 90's and Grillo's Ivy League championship with Danis?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                        I would have to agree with KDiff, an agreement based on the almost complete absence of coverage of college hockey in the providence Journal. True, an article every now and then about Brown or PC. But apparently no consistent coverage. I was absolutely taken back when after staying over after a Brown game I picked up the Sunday Journal to get the scores from other ECAC schools and Hockey East. NOTHING! Yes, there was a story about the Brown game but it appeared to be nothing but a condensed version of Jean Carhart's write-up. Here in Albany there is very good coverage of the area's two D1 schools, Union and RPI. While some may say that is the result of a down year for Siena BB, I am not so sure about that. It would simply appear that the media in two different markets is responding to the interest or lack thereof in college hockey.
                        The Providence Journal sports page is terrible. The writers are absolutely awful. As far as hockey coverage goes, I don't bother with the Providence Journal any longer. I come straight to US College Hockey Online. The two USCHOL writers whom I follow, Brian Sullivan for ECAC Division I and Tim Costello for NESCAC (Division III), both write intelligent, elegant pieces that are a pleasure to read.

Comment

ECAC vs. HOCKEY EAST, 2010-2011 SEASON

Head to head, regular season:
                          ECAC 7 wins, 6 losses, 4 ties

NCAA Tournament
                          ECAC: 3 teams, two lost in the first round, one lost in the second round
                          HOCKEY EAST: 3 teams, two lost in the first round, one lost in the second round

Teams in the Frozen Four
                          ECAC: zero
                          HOCKEY EAST: zero

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                            The Providence Journal sports page is terrible. The writers are absolutely awful. As far as hockey coverage goes, I don't bother with the Providence Journal any longer. I come straight to US College Hockey Online. The two USCHOL writers whom I follow, Brian Sullivan for ECAC Division I and Tim Costello for NESCAC (Division III), both write intelligent, elegant pieces that are a pleasure to read.
                            Couldn't agree more. The only thing in the Projo Sports section worth reading these days is Bill Reynolds' weekly "For What It's Worth," and even that just sounds like an old guy rambling on and on after a while. USCHO is the only good source for college hockey. CHN is pretty decent, but not quite on USCHO's level, and INCH is absolutely terrible. Fortunately, we have this site, or else we'd all be lost.
                            Last edited by kdiff77; 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• It's a shame that Brown and PC get no support because college hockey is the most entertaining game played in this state by far. No other sport played here has so many future pros involved or is so intense. PC hoops gets some good players of course but a tiny percentage thay will play in the NBA. In college hockey every team has a player or two with a good chance of playing in the NHL. You can't necessarily say that of the P Bruins and the P Bruins brand of hockey is slow and boring--it has to be with 82 games and often 3 games in 3 days.

I don't understand what people in Providence are doing on riday and Saturday nights in the winter--watching TV? It's a puzzle

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                                It's a shame that Brown and PC get no support because college hockey is the most entertaining game played in this state by far. No other sport played here has so many future pros involved or is so intense. PC hoops gets some good players of course but a tiny percentage thay will play in the NBA. In college hockey every team has a player or two with a good chance of playing in the NHL. You can't necessarily say that of the P Bruins and the P Bruins brand of hockey is slow and boring--it has to be with 82 games and often 3 games in 3 days.
                                Local fans in general don't identify with Brown despite the fact that the university, including many of its athletic teams, is very involved in projects that benefit the community.

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                                I don't understand what people in Providence are doing on Friday and Saturday nights in the winter--watching TV? It's a puzzle
                                Going to dinner in one of the city's dozens of great restaurants? Attending excellent theatrical performances in one of Trinity Rep's three theaters or at PPAC? Attending concerts at Veteran's Memorial Auditorium or at one of the several universities in the city? Etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X