Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

    A tough way to end your season but I think you've served notice that you'll be a team to be reckoned with in the future. Whittett has done a great job considering what he started with.

    All things considered I thought it was a good series. The Bears never quit though they were outplayed for long stretches in both games. Things got a bit physical both ways tonight but nothing overly goonish. Unfortunately you just didnt get the bounces and both of our goalies stood tall.

    Best of luck next season!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2019 Midwest Regional

    Comment


    • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

      Cant believe they lost to Quinnipiac. Whatever. I cant wait to see how this team does next year. I hope Quinnipiac does the honorable thing now and beats Yale*
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

      Comment


      • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

        Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        Cant believe they lost to Quinnipiac. Whatever. I cant wait to see how this team does next year. I hope Quinnipiac does the honorable thing now and beats Yale*
        Quinnipiac deserved to win the series. The Bobcats beat Brown in every key aspect of the game. I was impressed with their speed, tenacity and creativity.

        Trying to put the season in perspective, I think Brown made good progress this year. They had some impressive victories in the ECAC, including against Yale and Cornell (twice). The Bears' record against Hockey East teams (1-0-3) was much better than in recent memory. On the nights when they were on their game, the Bears played a very interesting brand of hockey, which the fans have begun to take notice.

        Nevertheless, there's still work to do if Brown is to move into the top echelon of the ECAC. The Bears need more consistent goaltending. The defense needs to be more physical. Assuming that Jack Maclellan will return, we'll need two additional natural centers who can create offensive opportunities without forgetting about backchecking, which is key in the Brown center-lock system.

        Hopefully most of these issues are being addressed through smart recruiting and will continue to be addressed through effective coaching. I'm confident that the 2011-2012 season will be a turning point for Brown hockey.

        Realistically, the 2010-2011 Bears went as far as they could. As Coach Whittet says, it's a process...
        Last edited by Euler18; 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM.

        Comment


        • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

          Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
          Quinnipiac deserved to win the series. The Bobcats beat Brown in every key aspect of the game. I was impressed with their speed, tenacity and creativity.

          Trying to put the season in perspective, I think Brown made good progress this year. They had some impressive victories in the ECAC, including against Yale and Cornell (twice). The Bears' record against Hockey East teams (1-0-3) was much better than in recent memory. On the nights when they were on their game, the Bears played a very interesting brand of hockey, which the fans have begun to take notice.

          Nevertheless, there's still work to do if Brown is to move into the top echelon of the ECAC. The Bears need more consistent goaltending. The defense needs to be more physical. Assuming that Jack Maclellan will return, we'll need two additional natural centers who can create offensive opportunities without forgetting about backchecking, which is key in the Brown center-lock system.

          Hopefully most of these issues are being addressed through smart recruiting and will continue to be addressed through effective coaching. I'm confident that the 2011-2012 season will be a turning point for Brown hockey.

          Realistically, the 2010-2011 Bears went as far as they could. As Coach Whittet says, it's a process...
          I thought theyd beat Q, but everyone knew this was step 1 in a building process that will hopefully end up with Brown being expected to make it to at least the semis each year with a run at the NCAAs. I love the recruits coming in and think they can build and sustain some success in the near future. The fans will never come, but that's fine. Harvard draws flies, too, but Brown is a very easy school to recruit to and it seems they are on the right track.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

          Comment


          • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

            One statistic that sticks out to me is penalty minutes: 34 over the two games of this series. You can't win spending a quarter of the series in the box. You just can't. Even if the other team doesn't score on the PP, your best PKers (for us, our best PKers are our best players overall, too) get worn down and simply can't skate with the opponent. Discipline is always a problem with a team that plays our style, but this team can really get out of control at the worst times. This, I think is an area Whittet needs to stress more than any other going forward.

            As for the season, I think we met expectations and have a lot of hope going forward. This was a very young team, and the freshmen didn't begin to make significant contributions until late in the season. Brendan is right- this is going to be a long rebuilding (or, I suppose we should just call it "building," because we never had anything in the first place) process that requires patience and optimism. We weren't built to win this year, and we probably won't win a whole lot more next year with the loss of a very solid senior class and the indispensable Harry Zolnierczyk. However, I have faith in Whittet's overall plan, and think that within 5 years, we will be equivalent to Union (rising from the bottom to the top).

            And who knows? Maybe another fantastic playoff run like last year's is in the cards.

            Comment


            • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

              Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              As for the season, I think we met expectations and have a lot of hope going forward. This was a very young team, and the freshmen didn't begin to make significant contributions until late in the season.
              I think that the Freshman class has certainly contributed and become some of the top players.

              On D, Robertson was a star early, but I think he took a while to find his "total" game, which he has found and deserves the kudos he has earned. Wahl came on strong in the second half offensively but sometimes that has come with a defensive lapse - still, he is one of the top D-men. Carriere still is trying to adapt to the game, I hope that he can get the balance and confirm his potential.

              On F, Hourihan and Hathaway have been really good. I think that Hathaway might be the star of the class at Forward. Juola and Goldberg played some significant shifts and contributed on Offense, I think that they will both develop very well. Siers did not play much, but he is a role-player ("energy guy") moving forward. I really don't have a read on Borge, just hoping he does well.

              De Fillippo - again, not much playing time and just hoping he is good. Luckily, Clemente is back next year, but he has been so inconsistent that maybe it would be time to put Borelli or De Fillippo to the test.

              With Maclellan (hopefully he does not bolt to pro a year early), plus Buvinow and Clemente as seniors, Zaires as a Junior, and Wahl, Robertson, Hathaway and Hourihan as Sophomores, there is a pretty solid core. Some of the Freshmen will step-up next year and hopefully some others of this year's Freshman and Sophomore class will find their groove.

              Comment


              • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                It was tough checking the scores each night and seeing back to back 4-0 losses! I thought Q was a decent draw for us and the games would be more competitive.....so to that end it was a very disappointing finish to the season.

                Season was solid though. A litle inconsistent at times, but a very tough schedule and overall the compete level was there. I think one of the most impressive things has been the development of players like Harry Z and Jack M in Brendan's system. If you had told me 2 seasons ago that we had a Hobey Baker candidate as well as an Ivy League player of the year I wouldn't have believed it.

                Comment


                • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                  Projo reports that Harry Z. is going to the Flyers.

                  http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/03/...olnierc-1.html

                  Comment


                  • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                    Originally posted by Ghost of North Main St. View Post
                    Projo reports that Harry Z. is going to the Flyers.

                    http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/03/...olnierc-1.html
                    So this means that as a Bruins fan, I now must start hating him

                    Comment


                    • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                      Originally posted by Ghost of North Main St. View Post
                      Projo reports that Harry Z. is going to the Flyers.

                      http://sportsblog.projo.com/2011/03/...olnierc-1.html
                      Phantoms have several games remaining against Albany Devils. Looking forward to seeing Harry play, especially with Jeff Prough playing well for Albany.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                        Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Cant believe they lost to Quinnipiac. Whatever. I cant wait to see how this team does next year. I hope Quinnipiac does the honorable thing now and beats Yale*
                        All of your predictions have fallen flat this year Onion Man, might be time to start the off season thread. Have a nice summer, and see you next year!
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

                        Comment


                        • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                          Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          As for the season, I think we met expectations and have a lot of hope going forward. This was a very young team, and the freshmen didn't begin to make significant contributions until late in the season. Brendan is right- this is going to be a long rebuilding (or, I suppose we should just call it "building," because we never had anything in the first place) process that requires patience and optimism. We weren't built to win this year, and we probably won't win a whole lot more next year with the loss of a very solid senior class and the indispensable Harry Zolnierczyk. However, I have faith in Whittet's overall plan, and think that within 5 years, we will be equivalent to Union (rising from the bottom to the top).

                          And who knows? Maybe another fantastic playoff run like last year's is in the cards.
                          Totally agree. Last year's unexpected success certainly created unrealistic expectations. This year's team, hurt by injuries and lack of depth, played well in stretches but could not keep it up. But the building blocks are there - McClellan, Farnham and Zaires up front; and Buvinow, Carrier and Robertson at D - and with further development of Hourihan and Hathaway, and another strong class recruited by the coaching staff, as I have heard, further progress can be expected. The model is Nate Leaman's work at Union and Brendan is following it. At the very least the excitement is back at Meehan and that is a MAJOR step.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                            Saw Mark Hourihan play quite a bit at Nobles. How did he look this year?

                            Comment


                            • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                              Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              So this means that as a Bruins fan, I now must start hating him
                              Ditto as a Rangers fan!

                              It's only a one-year contract; maybe he'll be in a better place next year. Or at least a team I can pull for.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

                                Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                Saw Mark Hourihan play quite a bit at Nobles. How did he look this year?
                                Started reaaaalllyy slow, but came on very strong towards the end of the year. He looks like a solid, steady, dependable option going forward, and hopefully he finds twine more in the future than this year.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X