Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    This weekend has #2 (Yale), #13 (Union), #16 (RPI), and #22 (Brown)ranked teams coming to Meehan. When was the last time Meehan had 4 ranked teams for a weekend series? 1965 NCAA Frozen Four? If this game is not a sell-out or close to it, when will that happen?
    Well, the last sellout was in 2004, when we hosted Harvard and both teams were ranked. Throw in the fact that Yale won't be visiting Meehan this weekend and I'd say not for a while. Give it a couple years; the timing has to be PERFECT (as it was for Harvard in 04).

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Well, the last sellout was in 2004, when we hosted Harvard and both teams were ranked. Throw in the fact that Yale won't be visiting Meehan this weekend and I'd say not for a while. Give it a couple years; the timing has to be PERFECT (as it was for Harvard in 04).
      Also, Union and RPI don't bring with them the recognition of an Ivy rival, at least for the students. Though they are both top programs in the league, our students typically have a lot more energy when it's a Harvard or Cornell in the building. A shame that the Yale game will be held over winter break, when the students are still on break.

That said, I know the coaches and program are committed to making every game an event, and that happens with an exciting, good team that competes and succeeds every night. I know there are many of us who can recall plenty of early season games with big crowds that dissipated after a couple of losses.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
        That said, I know the coaches and program are committed to making every game an event, and that happens with an exciting, good team that competes and succeeds every night. I know there are many of us who can recall plenty of early season games with big crowds that dissipated after a couple of losses.
        That in and of itself is something completely different. There seemed to be a general malaise around the program that the new coaching staff has infused with life and reinvigorated. Even during last year's 0-8-1 start and loss to Bentley, Brown looked good and were looked at like "When are these guys gonna break through!" And when they did it was awesome.

In the past it was more of a - "oh hey they won a game. this won't last" attitude. Now it's "let's keep it rolling," which builds a general excitement.
        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
          That in and of itself is something completely different. There seemed to be a general malaise around the program that the new coaching staff has infused with life and reinvigorated. Even during last year's 0-8-1 start and loss to Bentley, Brown looked good and were looked at like "When are these guys gonna break through!" And when they did it was awesome.

In the past it was more of a - "oh hey they won a game. this won't last" attitude. Now it's "let's keep it rolling," which builds a general excitement.
          It's hard to disagree with Humanoid. Nevertheless, maybe the time has come to leave the past behind unless it means focusing on the recent past: last season's amazing turnaround!

Brendan Whittet and his excellent coaching staff have established themselves as top-notch professionals in addition to solid citizens. They know the game but, more importantly, they know how to teach the game. They have the players believing that Brown can beat any team in the country. The Bears are fun to watch. They play an up-tempo, physical, in-your-face style while also being very sound on fundamentals.

There was never any question in my mind that Whittet was the right guy to revive the Brown hockey program.

Comment

Listening to the play by play of the Union vs Brown game it strikes me that while the rest of the team and coaching staff have a new attitude, Jack & Mike are still as negative as ever. The good news for any opposing fans listening is that they don't have to put up with Brown 'homers', but it would be great to have a little more positive attitude coming across the broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy66 View Post
              Listening to the play by play of the Union vs Brown game it strikes me that while the rest of the team and coaching staff have a new attitude, Jack & Mike are still as negative as ever. The good news for any opposing fans listening is that they don't have to put up with Brown 'homers', but it would be great to have a little more positive attitude coming across the broadcasts.
              Yeah, but I watched the stream, and we were just awful tonight. The score was not indicative of the performance. It should have been a 3 or 4 goal victory for Union, as we didn't show up to play until the third period.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                Yeah, but I watched the stream, and we were just awful tonight. The score was not indicative of the performance. It should have been a 3 or 4 goal victory for Union, as we didn't show up to play until the third period.
                I was there, and it was a case of Union winning a game by exacting its style on Brown. Union was better tonight, plain and simple, and if not for a couple miscues by their goalie and nice shots by Jack Maclellan, the game could have been a blowout. We were fortunate to get what we got, truthfully. Union kept after it...especially after Brown successfully killed the Siers major... and I was impressed with their focus and ability to consistently follow their game plan.

As to the broadcasts, I've found them considerably more upbeat, which is a factor of recent play. The comment at the end of the UNH game by Mike: to be walking out of a tie with UNH disappointed is a sign of how far this program has come in a short time. The commentary in the BU postgame similarly discussed the difference a year makes. If Mike and Jack were down on the team's performance based on the first period or so, it was entirely accurate, especially in contrast to the way Brown came out against UNH and BU.

Got to get it back against RPI tomorrow, though second game in the weekend, quick turnaround with 4 p.m. start, and an emotional Engineer squad after last year's playoffs could conspire against us.

Comment

Bad loss tonight I thought. Coming off some strong road efforts vs. UNH and BU, I thought Brown would fare better vs. a team like Union. Big game vs. RPI tomorrow for confidence. This team is much more fun to watch than previous Brown entries.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

This game was exactly the same progression as the second Princeton game- 2-0 lead evaporates, the other team goes up 3-2, we tie it, they get a third period winner. Only we actually seemed to want to be on the ice vs Princeton. Whittet said it best in the USCHO recap: we lacked any intensity or passion from the beginning to the bitter end and were absolutely awful, to paraphrase. I don't care if Harry is out; this is still a very talented team, and the fact that we were in this game while performing inarguably the worst we have to date this season leads me to believe that, had we showed up, we would have won with relative ease. Frustrating, especially after all the progress and statements we made in Western NY and against the Hockey East powerhouses. Hopefully we rebound tomorrow against an RPI team that will hopefully be exhausted from Yale. We certainly shouldn't be tired tomorrow; we didn't play hard enough to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy66 View Post
                      I caught the game last night on B2, and I didn't think they were negative at all. If they say Brown does well we accuse them of being homers. If they criticize their team, we accuse them of being negative?

I think, as I've mentioned before, the time has come to stop thinking that Brown is a poor program and relish when they play well. We need instead to criticize this team. Indeed, after the way they played against UNH and BU, they came out and laid a stinker first period. In contrast to how well we've seen them play, we should expect more out of them, and I find it refreshing that Mike and Jack aren't apologizing for a bad period. They could've blamed it on Z's absence, and they could've blamed it on the refs, but instead they stood up and said "we didn't play well."

That's refreshing to see an honest take out of a program where we've finally started to expect more than a last place effort. We should expect them to play well and when they don't, we critique them. It's not like they're losing to Bentley again... (gentle zing from a Bentley guy hehehehe).

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                        Got to get it back against RPI tomorrow, though second game in the weekend, quick turnaround with 4 p.m. start, and an emotional Engineer squad after last year's playoffs could conspire against us.
                        That's a program that can't admit that they were outplayed last year by a Brown team, and they accused Brown ad nauseum on our board of being cheap shot artists. They were sore losers to the max last year, and you can bet they don't want to taste a loss to Bruno again. I fully expect to get ripped on by an RPI guy for making this comment. But the team, too, doesn't want to admit they lost to Brown, so you can bet they're going to come out and have a TON of fire. Verry dangerous game based on revenge alone.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The RPI goalie York injured his back making a save late in the third period last night. I would not be surprised to see him sit today. Should be a very physical game, your teams are very similar in their approach to the game.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                            That's a program that can't admit that they were outplayed last year by a Brown team...
                            One of about a hundred quotes from RPI crediting Bruno following their series win last spring...had you bothered to look:

"...Credit to Brown,” Appert said. “They earned the win. They were physical and tough."
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

That was the worst weekend of hockey I have seen since the Grillo era. Brendan had better drill it into the players' heads that they can't simply waltz into an arena and come away with a victory. As Herb Brooks said (paraphrased), you think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, I've got news for you- you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone.

Interesting fact: we're 3-1-2 away and 0-3-1 at home. Good thing we have 17 away games and just 12 at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                One of about a hundred quotes from RPI crediting Bruno following their series win last spring...had you bothered to look:

"...Credit to Brown,” Appert said. “They earned the win. They were physical and tough."
                                I also seem to recall you calling us a subrate program and your color radio guy telling us to have sexual relations with ourselves in a sideways manner.

In any event... very tough weekend to swallow if you're a Brown fan. The Bears took 4-5 major steps back after the UNH-BU week, and now head into Providence on the cusp of letting a good run start to get away from them.

If Brown loses to PC, it would take a 2-0-2 run against Cornell, Colgate (remember Bruno hasn't swept that weekend since a young Arkansas fellow named Clinton was president), UNH, and BU and ruin it. Brown would then go 0-3-0 heading into a New Year's Day matchup with BU, who will be out for revenge after the first game. The reward for BU is either Mankato or Notre Dame... needless to say the Bears are at a crossroads heading into the PC game.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X