Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    After growing up on Long Island, when I moved to Rochester, culturally, believe systems, and attitude-wise, Rochester is definitely much more of a Midwest city than an East coast city. No question about that.

And BTW, there is no geographical line drawn on any map anywhere that defines a border for the midwest. It's purely a nebulous, state of mind definition (Erie is definitely a midwest, rust belt type of city).

(Reminds me of how New Yorkers and Long Islanders never consider Brooklyn and Queens as part of Long Island even though it is geographically sitting on the land mass defined as Long Island.)
    Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
    i grew up in jersey, but i agree with your take on it. and even if you don't consider rochester midwest, it is midwest compared to the bunching of eastern teams that make up for a better "northeast".
    Little late to this party, but i'd hope I can offer some good insight. Growing up in North Jersey(Vernon/Parsippany), Attending RIT and living in ROC for 6 years, and now living in the Chicago Suburbs, i feel i am semi educated on this.

I would Lump Rochester and WNY for the most part into the Midwest lifestyle. One conclusion could be that the peoplel who settled in WNY, migrated to the Midwest. granted this may have been generations past, but town names of (Geneva, Batavia, Oswego, Aurora, Newark, Ottawa....and tons more) are all towns in my area of Chicago, and should not be overlooked

The accents: My wife is from Rochester, and when we moved out here, they all thought she was a native of the Chicagoland, while my NNJ accent was evident.....I notice the sound is the same, and my wife noticed the similarities when going back and fourth from NJ, WNY, Chicago, moreso than ever.
    The way of life: The Tristate area of NY/NJ/Conn which by many would be considered Eastern (by way of Industry) is much faster paced, as is way of life. Both the ROC and Midwest pace is more laid back. More so in what you'd really call midwest like my Chicago area. But that likely is because WNY, is kind of the bordering of both.

I like The Pop (Soda) reference, and would throw in the Suckers (lolipops) analogy also.

My wife lived in NJ with me for just over two years before moving to Chicago, and I know for a fact she notices the difference between NJ, and the ROC/Midwest. Many New Yorkers don't even Consider Rochester of WNY as New York, sorry, but it's true. She is ****ed when she hears this from NYC people, and it's has been on many occasions.
    Conversely, If you say you are from NY, but don't specify Rochester, Midwesterners assume you are from the NYC area. And even after you say Rochester, they still don't see the difference. Mainly because many of the Midwesterners associate All of NY state as NYC, and probably dont realize NY is so big.

is there a line? No, because depending on where you are, you see it differently. From my life experience in all three areas, i would consider Rochester to be more of a Midwestern type of Town....Same goes with Syracuse and most things west of that....

Hope i don't offend anyone here with this....

Comment

Originally posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
      Little late to this party, but i'd hope I can offer some good insight. Growing up in North Jersey(Vernon/Parsippany), Attending RIT and living in ROC for 6 years, and now living in the Chicago Suburbs, i feel i am semi educated on this.

I would Lump Rochester and WNY for the most part into the Midwest lifestyle. One conclusion could be that the peoplel who settled in WNY, migrated to the Midwest. granted this may have been generations past, but town names of (Geneva, Batavia, Oswego, Aurora, Newark, Ottawa....and tons more) are all towns in my area of Chicago, and should not be overlooked

The accents: My wife is from Rochester, and when we moved out here, they all thought she was a native of the Chicagoland, while my NNJ accent was evident.....I notice the sound is the same, and my wife noticed the similarities when going back and fourth from NJ, WNY, Chicago, moreso than ever.
      The way of life: The Tristate area of NY/NJ/Conn which by many would be considered Eastern (by way of Industry) is much faster paced, as is way of life. Both the ROC and Midwest pace is more laid back. More so in what you'd really call midwest like my Chicago area. But that likely is because WNY, is kind of the bordering of both.

I like The Pop (Soda) reference, and would throw in the Suckers (lolipops) analogy also.

My wife lived in NJ with me for just over two years before moving to Chicago, and I know for a fact she notices the difference between NJ, and the ROC/Midwest. Many New Yorkers don't even Consider Rochester of WNY as New York, sorry, but it's true. She is ****ed when she hears this from NYC people, and it's has been on many occasions.
      Conversely, If you say you are from NY, but don't specify Rochester, Midwesterners assume you are from the NYC area. And even after you say Rochester, they still don't see the difference. Mainly because many of the Midwesterners associate All of NY state as NYC, and probably dont realize NY is so big.

is there a line? No, because depending on where you are, you see it differently. From my life experience in all three areas, i would consider Rochester to be more of a Midwestern type of Town....Same goes with Syracuse and most things west of that....

Hope i don't offend anyone here with this....
      I'll agree with you on the tristate vs upstate analysis. Very different way of life.

Big question is are you old enough to have been injured at Action Park? I am, though I never went there. Not real big on rides.

Wayne, by the way. Though I did live in Paterson for a few years, and my mom is now in Lincoln Park. Jersey pride!

Comment

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
        I'll agree with you on the tristate vs upstate analysis. Very different way of life.

Big question is are you old enough to have been injured at Action Park? I am, though I never went there. Not real big on rides.

Wayne, by the way. Though I did live in Paterson for a few years, and my mom is now in Lincoln Park. Jersey pride!
        I worked at accident park for many many years, as did nearly everyone i knew.....You knew an Alpine slide injury from a mile away. It's where kids in Vernon (like me) learned how to be a thief.

I personally never got injured there, but thats because i knew how to avoid the injuries, and what was most likely to injure you.
        WeirdNJ has a great write up on AP http://www.weirdnj.com/index.php?opt...d=39&Itemid=28 Including the deaths/Lawsuits/injuries...... And to think, back then this was considered the norm. That place would not survive today....
        A WORD ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES
        You may have noticed a certain youthful quality to the many people on staff at Action Park. Maybe a slight resemblance to the cast of the movie Logan's Run or the characters in Lord of the Flies. You would be right: it was hard to find an employee over the age of 30 in the park. It was truly a teen-run show, and it manifested itself in many ways, from ride attendants willfully ripping the entrance wristbands from park attendees who misbehaved to staff knowing all of the places that one could get stoned and/or drunk and hide from supervisors. Action Park got into trouble for letting underage employees run rides, too, so chances are your personal safety may have once been in the hands of a fourteen-year old tripping on acid.

What made Action Park different from other amusement parks was the control that patrons had over their ride experience. Part of the thrill was the danger involved. People, park officials would note over and over again, were often responsible for their own injuries, and park attendees tended to agree with them.
        You can't make this Crap Up!!!!!!! Trust me, read the whole article, it will have you in Stitches....Figuratively, and literally.
        Another site with images: http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/action_park.htm Most of what was Motor world is all gone now. American Intrawest built some really nice condos down there now. I think that dude Mullvahill purchased it back from them this past year.

I used to play hockey at the Ice Vault in Wayne whe i worked in Totowa. Used to go over for mens league, and played during lunch on occassion.
        Last edited by JRZ DVLS; 09-15-2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

The way of life: The Tristate area of NY/NJ/Conn which by many would be considered Eastern (by way of Industry) is much faster paced, as is way of life. Both the ROC and Midwest pace is more laid back.
          This is more of a Big-City vs Mid-size City thing, whether or not Rochester is more Midwestern or Eastern. The Tri-state area is faster pace than just about anywhere in the US for one thing. You can also make the same comparison between cities along the lines of Boston and Hartford - both eastern, but different types.

Many New Yorkers don't even Consider Rochester of WNY as New York, sorry, but it's true.
          Another Big-City thing (at least on the East Coast). Folks from cities like NY, Boston, Philly, DC, etc. don't consider much outside of their little spheres of influence as worth thinking about. As far as Bostonians are concerned, anything west of Springfield may as well be the Wild Wild West. New Yorkers consider "Upstate" as a vast wasteland that begins just north of White Plains or something (most of them probably have never heard of a place in "Upstate" called the "Southern Tier" and would not understand how that could be).

Just replace the word "Midwesterners" with "anyone not from Upstate New York". EVERYONE out there seems to think we're all from NYC, or at least just outside of it. It's tiring trying to explain it. There is the occasional person who will understand if you say we're only an hour from Buffalo, however. I guess the impression that Buffalo is in the Siberia of the Northeast miles from any civilization has stuck with some people out there, while the location of Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Watertown, etc. is an unknown so they must all be located near NYC.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            This is more of a Big-City vs Mid-size City thing, whether or not Rochester is more Midwestern or Eastern. The Tri-state area is faster pace than just about anywhere in the US for one thing. You can also make the same comparison between cities along the lines of Boston and Hartford - both eastern, but different types.

Another Big-City thing (at least on the East Coast). Folks from cities like NY, Boston, Philly, DC, etc. don't consider much outside of their little spheres of influence as worth thinking about. As far as Bostonians are concerned, anything west of Springfield may as well be the Wild Wild West. New Yorkers consider "Upstate" as a vast wasteland that begins just north of White Plains or something (most of them probably have never heard of a place in "Upstate" called the "Southern Tier" and would not understand how that could be).

Just replace the word "Midwesterners" with "anyone not from Upstate New York". EVERYONE out there seems to think we're all from NYC, or at least just outside of it. It's tiring trying to explain it. There is the occasional person who will understand if you say we're only an hour from Buffalo, however. I guess the impression that Buffalo is in the Siberia of the Northeast miles from any civilization has stuck with some people out there, while the location of Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Watertown, etc. is an unknown so they must all be located near NYC.
            I've often had to resort to referring to Plattsburgh as "near Montreal", which then prompts questions of why I can speak English so well
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I come from the other side of the ignorance, growing up in Minnesota. Where Iowan's are southeners and when you hit PA your practically @ the coast. It amuses me, the amount of people from the upstate area that think MN is flooded w/ canadians. Especially when there is really nothing up there.
              "I couldn't be more impressed with the student body . They had fun and had many chants but they lacked venom."

Comment

Chicago may be a different city type. The Chicagoland is considered pretty much the City limits and 40 miles in any direction. I do notice that Chicago is much slower paced than the North East in general. I think i figured this out my first month out here.

As much as I would consider Rochester to be Eastern, I think the lifestyle seems to be more like where I am now. And again that could be because i grew up in the cluster**** that is NNJ/NYC.
                Just like anywhere though 100 miles in any direction in any city it could completely change....I would say that Indianapolis is nothing like WNY....But Indy is Midwestern.... Where i grew up in Vernon is nothing like what people in say Bergen County would encounter, and thats all of 30 miles!

So yeah, we can all contradict ourselves, and spin our heads....One thing is for sure....Theres nothing like the tri-state area...

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                  I come from the other side of the ignorance, growing up in Minnesota. Where Iowan's are southeners and when you hit PA your practically @ the coast. It amuses me, the amount of people from the upstate area that think MN is flooded w/ canadians. Especially when there is really nothing up there.

The East side of PA may be the coast, but if you've driven through it, you know that 8 hours of your life it takes to get there is something you cannot get back.....I have done it wayyyy too many times....

Comment

Sounds like Chris Tanev is holding his own in camp with the Canucks. Had a goal and an assist in a game against San Jose in the Yound Stars Tournament. Here's a couple of story links.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...097/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...149/story.html

More importantly, 16 days til the Tigers drop the puck for exhibition hockey, and 22 days til the regular season starts........
                    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                    NCAA DII - 1983
                    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
                      Oh, and the title of the thread, for those of you not watching/listening on ESPN2, it's a quote from Barry Melrose.
                      Prophetic! Because now we know that The Mullet will be signing autographs at RIT's homecoming game this year!

http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...spx?path=mhock

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                        Sounds like Chris Tanev is holding his own in camp with the Canucks. Had a goal and an assist in a game against San Jose in the Yound Stars Tournament. Here's a couple of story links.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...097/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...149/story.html

More importantly, 16 days til the Tigers drop the puck for exhibition hockey, and 22 days til the regular season starts........
                        Reading over at HFboards for the Nucks, they are basically jumping for joy ver Tanev. The youngstars game is non now http://youngstars.insinc.com/ havent heard or seen him out there, so he may not be playing right now in this game. but read through the threads there, some are claiming that he could be a call up sometime during he season since the nucks are short on Right handed shots.Basically saying he has been the best D man overall for them in the tourney...
                        Apparently the assist he had was a sick rush by him. It is possible he stays up for the big club camp to start....rather than be sent to manitoba right away. Great News for Chris

Chris Tanev has some exciting upside. Having miraculously grown a good half foot in his late teens, he's now 6-foot-2 and made several smart decision Monday with the puck, including going end-to-end through three Sharks in the Canucks 5-3 win. He finished with a goal and an assist.
                        Edit....No Sauve, Hodgson, C. Schneider, Rodin, Andersson, Tanev, Sweatt, Friesen in this Cal/Van game. Didnt think i saw him, but not paying 100% attention

Also, Caps/Flyers Rookie game being televised on NHL.com now, but
                        The players who won't take part in this afternoon's rookie game -- goalies Braden Holtby and Jared DeMichiel along with defensemen Zach Miskovic, Johann Kroll and Dylan Yeo
                        Sad Trombone!!!!!http://www.sadtrombone.com/

In other words, thanks for the useless Links JRZ!!!!
                        Last edited by JRZ DVLS; 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Door mat

Spotted at Lowe's in Greece this afternoon:

*****http://www.uscho.com/images/colorscans/20102011/ritdoormat.jpg******

Comment

• Re: Door mat

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post

Yup, they have them at the one in Henrietta too. I keep forgetting to go get one.
                            e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Ummm... AWESOME!

Comment

If this were facebook, I would be unable to resist "liking" this post.
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X