• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unclenick
    replied
    Re: How's the 2010 Frozen Four

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post

I'm p****d that I paid $189 when I could have paid $40 (like some other people I know) and just walked into the $189 seats. I'm sure I'd be less upset if I had seen a hockey game yesterday, but I don't think either of those contests deserve the title of "hockey game" by any stretch of the imagination.
    I hear ya, we were up in the nose bleed section for the 1st period. Then moved down to the second deck behind the RIT corner crew, the view was lousy $30 bucks wasn't bad to swollow.

Leave a comment:

• MichPieGuy
    replied

We sat in 345, a couple rows behind press row, not too far to the right of the ESPN2 venue. (Thank God I didn't have to listen to annoying game account by Thorne and MulletBoy, who know nothing about college hockey, particularly teams east of the Hudson.) Sight lines were fine, I thought it not unlike being about midway up the upper bowl at a typical NHL venue. The low angle of the temporary riser seats appeared to be AWFUL viewing. If they'd have forgotten about trying that experiment and moved the ice surface closer to the main seating area (both decks), those seats would probably have been considered well beyond acceptable. What did diminish the atmosphere, though, was the vast open space above the risers, which connoted to the eyes and brain that one was farther away than was the case. Add to that the temporary curtain, which only went just above the riser seats on the opposite side. The result was that the sounds of the game and crowd were kept in the seating area, but were dispersed to the unused football field area. It made for a dead building, even before both games turned into boring blowouts.

Annoying sidebar of the night--the roaming female reporter who came on at every TV timeout and screamed her interview in a shrill voice that made one wish for temporary deafness, worsened by a way-too-loud PA.

Annoying sidebar number two--several long delays to determine faceoff placement after video review far too early in games, when it shouldn't have mattered and the stripes should have paid adequate attention to details to make and defend their placement calls without ponderous delay. Technology is wonderful, but guys, pick your moments!

A noble idea to hold a FF in a large venue like this, and if done better, it may work and produce a great result--just not this time.

Miami's egg-laying last night was shocking and disconcerting to me as a CCHA & WCHA fan. Like Denver 2 weeks ago, did all the NHL draftees find the regular season too easy and their goaltending solid enough that they forgot about team play and execution in the offensive zone? Miami had the territorial edge and good energy for the first 10 minutes or so, but after all the one-on-one plays with no screens or tip chances generated zero on the board, they tailed off and never fully recovered after Boston's early 2nd period PPG. One thing for sure, one-game knockout tourneys sure can produce unexpected and occasionally bizarre results. Fedora tips to the Wisconsin and Notre Dame East Campus coaching staffs for keeping their players focused and completing their missions. Unfortunately for the fans at Ford Field yesterday, it also produced two brutally boring games that sure didn't sell college hockey to the occasional or casual fan.

GO BADGERS ON SATURDAY! (Gawd, as a DU Pioneer fan who watched Sauer hockey for way too long and watched Sean Hill break Mike Aikens' neck in front of me many years ago, that is still painful to say. But anyone over Notre Dame, East Branch Campus, please...)

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

how bad can it be?!?! michigan ave has more strip clubs than las vegas

Leave a comment:

• BUPhD
    replied

Sorry...can't post now...too busy being mugged.

Leave a comment:

• Zudnic
    replied

Don't forget that it was originally intended to be even worse, with the rink at midfield. Imagine how dead THAT would have been, and how much worse the sightlines would be too.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

It says something that even the fans that had good seats, and could see the game well, come to the conclusion that they should never hold it in a football stadium again.

Leave a comment:

• wolverine318
    replied

The check is in the mail

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
    I don't think the Miami fans a few rows below me, didn't appreciate me chanting get your own cheers after they finally scored and my wife and I high fiving the BC fans after every goal.
    So, when is UM's yearly hockey chant-related royalty payment to Cornell due?

Leave a comment:

• wolverine318
    replied

I was in section 105 row 13. Decent sight lines for a football stadium. The first RIT/Wisky game had the worst atmosphere I have ever witnessed. After Wisky went up by a TD, combined with the long distance of the fans from the ice, it just felt like a tomb. Completely cold and sterile. The BC/Miami game was better until the BC's speed allowed them to dominate in the second. After that the atmosphere was a dud. I feel bad for the players. I hope this one year experiment with football fields for the FF ends in Detroit. At least tonight and tomorrow will have crowds in Detroit from opening weekend tigers baseball.

I don't think the Miami fans a few rows below me appreciate me chanting get your own cheers after they finally scored and my wife and I high fiving the BC fans after every goal.
    Last edited by wolverine318; 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wolverineTrumpet
    replied

I was in 134 (corner between RIT and Miami sections) row 15. The view from there was actually good. Much better than I expected. I felt awful for the people with high priority numbers that got stuck in the risers....especially behind the bench.

I hope the football field thing is not repeated. Though the availability of tickets sure was nice. If they do this again (please don't), take out the risers behind the bench. Push it up to the stands in the one endzone. Get the steepest seats you can put out in the middle of the field.

The atmosphere really suffered. Like the regionals, a half empty arena feels like a half empty arena. Even if this was a "record" crowd.

Leave a comment:

• aallenpollreisz
    replied

I enjoyed yesterday.

We were in 132, about 30-some-odd rows up. We could see the ice just fine, though the view was a little flat. That said, if you were placed in either of the riser sections, I'm sure you couldn't see anything.

Leave a comment:

• CammieBuckeye
    replied

My mom and I were wondering why so many empty seats in the lower bowl area.

Anyone know if the Skills Challenge will be on tv? I want to see the two Ohio State representatives, Rachel Davis and Mathieu Picard.

Leave a comment:

• blackbearsfan45
    replied

What I've said to people is this: it isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I hope they NEVER do this again!

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied

This is my 18th Frozen Four. This is by far the worst experience, and yes that includes Cincinnati. Ford Field is a great facility, just not for hockey. Terrible views of the game. Very sterile atmosphere; you're so far from the rink that there is no electricity.

Leave a comment:

• scullyer
    replied

Originally posted by Yorzinlax View Post
    The seats were horrible,too low with too gentle a slope upwards. You might have seen all the empty seats on TV. There were butts in them at 5:00. They all left at 5:05 so we could see the game. Those seats will be empty again tomorrow.
    Yeah, I had the same problem. With the original setup I was supposed to be center ice row 35. I got reassigned to row 4 of RS36 (behind RIT/Miami) and could only see half the ice. I was the guy in the Alaska jersey. RIT corner crew really kept us entertained and should be applauded for their support. Take a look at ant picture of the whole crowd and you'll see that section of orange. They really earned my support in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X