Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

I suppose the fighting quilted northerns is out of the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      no, not really, almost the whole student body turns over every 4 years, and since they are the heart of the school, they will want a new nickname, and after a few years, none of the 18 year old freshmen will remember anything else. it will only be the old men who care, since all the freshmen will be getting drunk, and be trying their hardest to have wild sex like always.
      No, you're wrong. I don't care if the student body turns over every 4 months. Students may be "the heart of the school" but it isn't as if once you've gotten a diploma you suddenly lose interest in what goes on there. Many (maybe most) students will believe they already have a nickname and that the new one was dictated at the point of a gun. You act as if these 18 year old freshmen exist in some sort of vacuum, that they'll be unaware of this controversy and won't care. Again, I believe you're wrong. BTW, I have it on good authority that 18-year olds ultimately become old men. There may come a time when this issue fades into the background, but it will take decades for it to be truly forgotten. People are funny about what they remember and what's important to them. Although the issues involved are not in the least comparable, remember that Hitler had the French surrender to him in the same railroad car in which the Germans signed the armistice. Then he had the site destroyed. In his mind, that righted an historic wrong. Go back a bit and check out an earlier post. Kids at Illinois have formed a group called Students for Chief Illiniwek. And judging by the 10,000 of them who showed up at the first "Next Dance" event, they're not quietly abandoning their support for Chief Illiniwek, although over time that support will surely fade away. In both cases, it just won't be a quick or as certain as you assert.

edit: turns out I posted this in the other Sioux thread, so here's the link to the event. Just watch the first few seconds and listen to the ovation the kid gets when he introduces himself. You know, college kids can be very contrarian. And whatever unfortunate nickname ("Weedwhackers" or whatever) gets chosen it will be seen by at least some (I'm predicting many) students as the Quisling nickname, to be shunned, ridiculed and opposed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfeKpgBPoA
      Last edited by Old Pio; 04-17-2010, 01:28 AM.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        No, you're wrong. I don't care if the student body turns over every 4 months. Students may be "the heart of the school" but it isn't as if once you've gotten a diploma you suddenly lose interest in what goes on there. Many (maybe most) students will believe they already have a nickname and that the new one was dictated at the point of a gun. You act as if these 18 year old freshmen exist in some sort of vacuum, that they'll be unaware of this controversy and won't care. Again, I believe you're wrong. BTW, I have it on good authority that 18-year olds ultimately become old men. There may come a time when this issue fades into the background, but it will take decades for it to be truly forgotten. People are funny about what they remember and what's important to them. Although the issues involved are not in the least comparable, remember that Hitler had the French surrender to him in the same railroad car in which the Germans signed the armistice. Then he had the site destroyed. In his mind, that righted an historic wrong. Go back a bit and check out an earlier post. Kids at Illinois have formed a group called Students for Chief Illiniwek. And judging by the 10,000 of them who showed up at the first "Next Dance" event, they're not quietly abandoning their support for Chief Illiniwek, although over time that support will surely fade away. In both cases, it just won't be a quick or as certain as you assert.
        in about 15 years, almost none of the students at UND will have any remembrances first hand to the sue name, and they will not really care any more. this is much less than a couple of generations. I talk to people who are 15 years younger than me all the time, and nothing that was important cultural to me when I grew up is even known by them, they listen to different music, watch different TV shows, have different sports heroes, etc. heck, none of them can even understand the idea of not having a video game, VCR, or the INTERNET, much less what nickname a school used to have. The old men will be bitter until they die, but in less than ten years, the students will move on and worry about something else.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          in about 15 years, almost none of the students at UND will have any remembrances first hand to the sue name, and they will not really care any more. this is much less than a couple of generations. I talk to people who are 15 years younger than me all the time, and nothing that was important cultural to me when I grew up is even known by them, they listen to different music, watch different TV shows, have different sports heroes, etc. heck, none of them can even understand the idea of not having a video game, VCR, or the INTERNET, much less what nickname a school used to have. The old men will be bitter until they die, but in less than ten years, the students will move on and worry about something else.
          We'll see. You'll have to e-mail me in the hereafter to let me know how it turns out. I evidently have a higher regard for Sioux fans' stubbornness on this issue than you.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 04-17-2010, 01:43 PM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            We'll see. You'll have to e-mail me in the hereafter to let me know how it turns out. I evidently have a higher regard for Sioux fans' stubbornness on this issue than you.
            the old men will be bitter, the kids will worry about next Friday's party. I still like the North Stars better than the wild.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

The new nickname should be based on three things:

1) the ability to exterminate gophers
              2) warlike qualities
              3) a name that lends itself to rhyming in cheers and chants
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                The new nickname should be based on three things:

1) the ability to exterminate gophers
                2) warlike qualities
                3) a name that lends itself to rhyming in cheers and chants
                The Fightin' Carl Spackler's?

http://christiandivine.files.wordpre...caddyshack.jpg
                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                X