Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Originally posted by skeptic View Post
    Turk, it was Thomas Paine, the father of the American Revolution who said that the words, documents and deeds of of past generations should never dictate how this country should govern itself in following generations. It sounds like a pretty good argument for a constitution that is flexible, changeable, and if necessary, one that can be thrown out entirely for a new beginning.

If you lead the revolution, I can only follow.....due to my advanced age and laziness.
    God bless you my friend. You say laziness like its a bad thing. I will toast you this afternoon while sitting in the sun shine

Comment

Just go with "NoDaks", but make the logo really offensive!!

Or, as the Illini were able to successfully argue, you could just go with "Dakota"... named after the residents of the state, not the tribe.
      scsuhockey.com
      CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Spirit Lake Sioux or Spirit Lakers and keep the logo to honor the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe who supported UND.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
          Just go with "NoDaks", but make the logo really offensive!!

Or, as the Illini were able to successfully argue, you could just go with "Dakota"... named after the residents of the state, not the tribe.
          Or, just "Fighting".

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Hey maybe they should change the name of the state too. Didnt uncle Ralphie have it in his will that if they changed the name they couldnt play in his beautifull arena ?

Comment

Let's just be the goons and get it over with.
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Why is there a thread on this? "The Fighting Sue" was settled on years ago.
                Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianSioux View Post
                  *****http://www.roosevelt-media.com/Index/sandoval_money1.jpg******
                  How true

Since the UND administration is groveling to get into the Summit League and the Summit League has repeatedly said no way no how no Sioux in the Summit League, the SBoE caved.

And don't forget a number of Big 10 schools have rules in place that they can't play hostiles in non-conference games.

I would vote for
                  Fighting Dakotans
                  Cavalry
                  or nothing at all.

You can change the name, but you can't change the minds. You think that during the National Anthem the word "Sioux" will continue to ring out? I do.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I just hope all the UND fans bring giant banners and flag with the old logo on them to every game for the rest of history... (or are they banning that too?)

At least the student section should keep doing sioux cheers
                    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

What about fighting Irish? Drinking Irish...

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                        I just hope all the UND fans bring giant banners and flag with the old logo on them to every game for the rest of history... (or are they banning that too?)

At least the student section should keep doing sioux cheers
                        Thats another question what about all of the logos in the arena do they have to remove them ? I was pretty sure Uncle Ralphie had a clause in some aggreement on the arena that they couldnt play there without having the name .

Comment

The University should make some kind of deal with the tribe. I know the FSU Seminoles are fully backed by the tribe and even liked their special "never conquered jersey." The name is pride and recognition for an under recognized and most oppressed minority group in America

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                            Spirit Lake Sioux or Spirit Lakers and keep the logo to honor the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe who supported UND.
                            I actually like the idea of "Spirit Lakers". They'd be able to keep all the logos and imagery.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                              Thats another question what about all of the logos in the arena do they have to remove them ? I was pretty sure Uncle Ralphie had a clause in some aggreement on the arena that they couldnt play there without having the name .
                              There is a plan to remove what can be removed by 2015. Read the GF Herald articles, they have the complete details.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't know if I can articulate this well enough but here goes. The NCAA came up with the stupid rule that said the tribes had to allow the nickname. One tribe does, the other drags it's feet (I guess). Is there something inherent to this issue that the tribe preferred the issue to linger as long as possible? Cause now they have basically removed themselves from the decision process. It seems to me that this is just as much their fault as the large group of PC idiots who started this in the first place.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X