"Who *are* these guys?" - Your RIT Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who *are* these guys?" - Your RIT Primer

Chances are, even if the average college hockey fan knows of Rochester, New York (home to the AHL's Rochester Americans and the hometown of Eastman Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, and Xerox), he or she probably had never heard of the Rochester Institute of Technology before this season. (Or, barring that, before 2005.)

RIT is a private, coeducational, non-denominational university located in the suburbs south of the Rochester city limits, a stone's throw from the banks of the Genesee River. It was founded in 1829 as the Rochester Athenaeum, a society of the burgeoning city's foremost intellectuals. It merged in 1891 with the Mechanics Institute, which was founded in 1885 to train skilled workers for Rochester's factories.

The merged Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute, or RAMI, gradually evolved into a more collegiate institution, establishing a campus in downtown Rochester not far from where the Erie Canal once flowed. In 1944, it was renamed the Rochester Institute of Technology, and in 1950 it granted its first degrees.

A move to the suburb of Henrietta, New York, was necessitated both by the expansion of the Institute's enrollment and by the construction of Interstate 490 through the middle of campus. The move to the new 1,300-acre campus was completed in 1968, the same year Congress named RIT as the location of the federally funded National Technical Institute for the Deaf.

Today, RIT has over 14,000 undergraduates and almost 3,000 students working on graduate degrees, including those working in one of six doctoral programs. RIT continues to maintain its focus on career preparation; research is a growing but still secondary priority. Classes are small in size and are predominantly taught by professors, not TAs.

RIT was the first university to offer a bachelor's degree in information technology, and its other flagship programs include microelectronic engineering, software engineering, photography, imaging science, printing, and sign-language interpreting.

Next post: RIT Hockey

Powers &8^]

Re: "Who *are* these guys?" - Your RIT Primer

RIT's men's hockey team began in 1962 as a club team in the most basic sense of the phrase -- the players even had to raise their own funds to hire a coach! But success was immediate, and the team was granted varsity status in 1965.

With the move to the Henrietta campus came a new ice arena -- the old campus' ice rink was too small for hockey, so the team had been playing at Genesee Valley Park. F. Ritter Shumway (former president of U.S. Figure Skating) offered a donation to build a ice arena on the new campus, with the stipulation that it be named after his grandfather, Mechanics Institute co-founder Frank Ritter. Opened in 1968 with the rest of the new campus, the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena has a capacity of 2,100 fans and an ice surface measuring 185' x 85'; it sits smack in the middle of RIT's campus.

The hockey team saw some success but records are, sadly, spotty until the 80s. In 1983, the team won the Division II national championship over Bemidji State. With the establishment of the Division III hockey championship, RIT was forced to drop down to Division III play, where they won the Division III national championship in 1985, also against Bemidji State (who played D-III after the D-II championship was eliminated the first time).

RIT's best season to date may have been 2000-01, in which the team went 26-0-1 and was granted hosting rights for the D-III Frozen Four. Unbelievably, they lost in the championship game, at home, to SUNY Plattsburgh, 6-2, the most devastating loss in team history.

RIT entered a period of decline after that, reaching the tournament only once more before the big announcement in 2005 that the team would be moving up to Division I. This brings the Institute in line with several other schools it considers to be its peers, like RPI, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson, as D-III schools with D-I hockey programs. RIT also planned to move its women's team up to Division I but the moratorium was put in place just weeks before the application was finalized.

Although RIT went 9-22-2 in their first D-I season (including a 3-2 home win over St. Lawrence), since that time they are 91-47-11, including wins against Cornell, Minnesota, and (of course) Denver and New Hampshire.

Past RIT players of note include 1997 Division III Player of the Year Steve Toll (now a defenseman with the Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League), 2001 Division III PotY Jerry Galway, Niagara Purple Eagles coach Dave Burkholder, UMass-Lowell River Hawks coach Blaise MacDonald, Hershey Bears forward Steve Pinizzotto, and Hobey Baker finalist Simon Lambert.

Any questions?

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

I heard you like Canadians?

Comment

Excellent post!

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        ... The move to the new 1,300-acre campus was completed in 1968, the same year Congress named RIT as the location of the federally funded National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
        You'll see a lot of this from the stands.

R I T
        RIT ’05 EE Alumn
        Self proclaimed 'bandwagon' fan
        One of the many LS1 RX7s born in Rochester.

Comment

This Maine fan will be cheering for RIT!! Good luck in the Frozen Four....hopefully our seats will not be 100 miles from the ice surface!

I would love to add an RIT puck to my puck collection - if anyone out there would like to add a Maine puck to their collection, I would love to swap one with you....I will not be able to get back to Maine before Tuesday morning so please respond to my email address and we can arrange a swap then.

jgabarra@aol.com

Thanks! Go RIT!!!!!

Comment

excellent summary! thank you.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
              This Maine fan will be cheering for RIT!! Good luck in the Frozen Four....hopefully our seats will not be 100 miles from the ice surface!

I would love to add an RIT puck to my puck collection - if anyone out there would like to add a Maine puck to their collection, I would love to swap one with you....I will not be able to get back to Maine before Tuesday morning so please respond to my email address and we can arrange a swap then.

jgabarra@aol.com

Thanks! Go RIT!!!!!
              There's a shocker...

Thank you for the write up. I have to admit I was fairly ignorant in regards to RIT before this. I appreciate you taking the time to educate the masses!

Comment

R.I.T the Bemidji State of 2010
                There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by eyeoutthere View Post
                  Excellent post!

You'll see a lot of this from the stands.

R I T
                  Woo! *waves hands*

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
                    R.I.T the Bemidji State of 2010
                    If history repeats itself we won't be able to win a national championship until we play Bemidji State in the final...the next year will be followed by Bemidji state winning the national championship.
                    RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Bemidji State was the RIT of 2009!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

The info. on RIT is appreciated, although I knew some of it because my son (Chris) graduated from "Brick City" last May. Suffice it to say that his RIT Degree in Applied Systems and Network Administration (whatever that means) has already served him well but he had to work his butt off at RIT. It is a tremendous school.

Myself a longtime and avid SLU fan for 41-years, Chris is well aware of many things about SLU Hockey. Among them is our 5-26-0 all-time record in the NCAA's, to which he's been busting on me that it took RIT only 2 days to win 40% of the number of NCAA games that SLU has won. Didn't know that he was so good at Math and, boy, is he flirting with danger.

Wanted to watch the game live with him tomorrow but he has to work. I'll be rooted like heck for the Tigers in his absence and taping the game for his later viewing.

Just one RIT Hockey story to share. I attended the SLU at RIT game at the BC Arena two season ago where SLU escaped 2-1. Went down in pre-game to say Hi to the SLU coaches and screamed alone SLU SLU SLU as the Saints came out for warmups. Well, the Corner Crew made it very clear how they felt about me and one of the SLU Coaches remarked to me while I was taking a well-deserved beating, "it doesn't get any better than this." That was loyalty/fan support at its best.

After that game, Chris and his buddies were playing an amended form of ping pong,and I kept chanting SLU, SLU, SLU and got kicked out on the balcony at his dorm/apt. every time. Should have gone downstairs to the Luvin Cup (I hope spelled correctly). Well, you guys are getting the last laugh now.

GO TIGERS!

Brian
                        SLU '76
                        Last edited by Muskieman; 04-07-2010, 03:37 PM.
                        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Lovin Cup-not a bad place to sent to. They have some wonderful coffee down there! And delicious sandwiches. My favorite being hot for teacher.

Comment

I had to laugh yesterday morning during one of the local Detroit newscasts where the SPORTS guy called RIT... Rhode Island Technological...

I swear to god that is what he said! I was like, he just did not say that, did he?

I'll be cheering for whichever team brings the biggest and most rowdy crowd.

If not, could be a quiet Saturday night in Ford Field...

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
                              I swear to god that is what he said! I was like, he just did not say that, did he?
                              Are you by chance a 16 year old girl?

Thanks for the info on RIT. Very informative. You'll have a lot of fans in Detroit, I'm sure...
                              Last edited by MinnesotaNorthStar; 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                              X