Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010 Offseason I - The Year after the Year after effect

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Someone else mentioned that he benched John Cullen, also. Do you recall when that was? Cullen had a lot back trouble as an upperclassman. Did he sit out injured, or was he benched? Oh, the days prior to the Internet.
    It was definitely a benching. I remember it well, because it was kind of a big deal.

Jack has a history of benching key guys when things aren't going well. (I remember the Kelfer benching you mentioned.) Not sure why he didn't do more of that this season.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Not sure why he didn't do more of that this season.
      Perhaps because if he benched everyone who deserved it he wouldn't have had enough players to fill the bench?
      "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
        Great points here. No doubt Mass HS hockey is a shadow of what it was 10-15 years ago, but there are still quite a few players that are from Mass playing in Hockey East.

If you just take a look 3 miles down Comm Ave, there is Brian Gibbons, Joe Whitney, Steven Whitney, Paul Carey, Chris Kreider, Jimmy Hayes, Matt Lombardi, Barry Almeida, Edwin Shea, and John Muse. All hail from the Baystate. I know at least some of these guys had to have been recruited by BU, but chose BC.

As far as what Jerry York is doing better than Jack Parker... I know a lot of posters here might not want to face it but it's simple-- he's winning. Whether it be Frozen Fours, Hockey East Championships, or even (gasp!) the Beanpot. The guy knows how to win.
        Yes. Jerry York is winning more, but both him and Jack Parker are very good coaches. I believe the recruiting has been better at BC than BU. My question is why?

As I pointed out in my previous post, BU has a nicer facility, can boast that they are the top athletic program on campus, and has produced some big time NHL stars.

BC has out recruited BU overall since 1997. I'm not saying BU has not gotten some great talent, even locally like Higgins, Lawrence, DiPietro, Spang, etc. But in general, BC has gotten better talent overall and better locally.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
          Yes. Jerry York is winning more, but both him and Jack Parker are very good coaches. I believe the recruiting has been better at BC than BU. My question is why?

As I pointed out in my previous post, BU has a nicer facility, can boast that they are the top athletic program on campus, and has produced some big time NHL stars.

BC has out recruited BU overall since 1997. I'm not saying BU has not gotten some great talent, even locally like Higgins, Lawrence, DiPietro, Spang, etc. But in general, BC has gotten better talent overall and better locally.
          BU has had some strong classes recently. Last year's graduating class has seen 3 players play in the NHL this year (Even if McCarthy was only a couple of games. Still, he's playing extremely well in the AHL).

Next year's senior class had (before they all jumped ship) Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, CCohen.

They had 14 NHL draft picks on the roster last year. While they didn't play to potential, that's still not bad recruiting.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
            BU has had some strong classes recently. Last year's graduating class has seen 3 players play in the NHL this year (Even if McCarthy was only a couple of games. Still, he's playing extremely well in the AHL).

Next year's senior class had (before they all jumped ship) Wilson, Bonino, Shattenkirk, CCohen.
            I'm not saying BU hasn't had good talent, and as I said I like BU more, but I believe besides the initial boost from HAA, recruiting has been down compared to BC. It has still been easily second best in the league.

A big question to me is why did Brendan Silk choose BC? His uncle (I believe Dave is his uncle) played for BU. My big point with the few exceptions lately, for every one local stud BU gets, BC gets two.

Comment

I agree that BC started outrecruiting BU in the 1990's, but not in 1997. BC started outrecruiting BU the moment Jerry York stepped onto the BC campus in the fall of 1994. He used his strong ties to central New York state to turn the program around very quickly.

I think BU closed the recruiting gap when Quinn joined the program. What happens when the effect of his work is exhausted, who knows?

Agganis Arena and the related facilities have helped BU, certainly. But I think BC has advantages that BU cannot match. These are:

1. A nice leafy campus.
              2. A Catholic school in a heavily Catholic area (maybe, this factor isn't as dominant as it once was).
              3. Big time in all sports.

One other factor. I've always thought that Parker's approach and personality prepared guys for professional sports where no one is your friend. Also, I know he has said that kids today need to be handled differently, spoken to differently, etc. But I wonder if the public calling out doesn't have a bearing when the choice is between BC and BU.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I'm not saying BU hasn't had good talent, and as I said I like BU more, but I believe besides the initial boost from HAA, recruiting has been down compared to BC. It has still been easily second best in the league.

A big question to me is why did Brendan Silk choose BC? His uncle (I believe Dave is his uncle) played for BU. My big point with the few exceptions lately, for every one local stud BU gets, BC gets two.
                IIRC they aren't actually related, just share a surname.

And I'd still say the classes are trending upward with HAA, in general the classes have gotten better since the '08 seniors. Of course some classes have been a little down, but probably the two classes with lowest expectations in that period were Juniors and Seniors when the team won the NC, so it isn't an exact science.

Comment

Not related. Brendan's grandfather actually played basketball at BC.

Comment

Why would it matter whether BU is the top athletic program on campus or not? These kids don't likely don't care about that sort of thing.

I'll tell you why BC has recruited better (and I'm sure some fanboy will contend every single point).

1. Jerry York. Parker, aside from last season, had a rough run and his image suffered while throwing all these kids under the bus... It is what it is. I'm not saying Jerry is better, but put the two next to each other and seeing that they've both won and they've both put a lot of guys in the NHL, and most kids will pick York lately with the way he has handled himself and the program.

2. Local kids around this age grew up while BU was mediocre while BC was ridiculous and grew up dreaming of playing for BC. Ask J Whitney about where he was on April 4, 1998. He was a kid rooting for BC at the Garden vs Michigan. The success of BC in this decade long run, with very few bad years and not a ton of great BU years obviously, pays dividends down the road and here you see how BC benefits and BU does not. Additionally, to completely counter your point about BU being a one-trick pony helping them, the potential popularity of two high-profile sports like BC basketball and/or football with some of the local kids that grew up watching them might have also made them want to attend BC. Simply put, a lot of the local athletes dreamed of coming to BC when they were growing up.

3. Perceived better education. We could argue all day and night about which school is better or the ones that concede BC is better will hit you with the token line about "education is what you make of it," but the fact remains that BC is a hot school right now and is perceived to be a better education.

Honorable mention:
                    Nicer campus.

Essentially, we come to this same thing we ask about why any kid, athlete or non-athlete, why they choose a school. Different strokes for different folks. But BC is a hotter school academically and has been riding a long wave of success on the ice and that really should make it no mystery why BC is recruiting better locally than BU is. A bad start to the season didn't help keep the window open long for Parker to really take away recruits from BC while conversely BC had a nice run in the first half of the season (and beyond).
                    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

According to the BC thread he's not related to BU's silk. Some websites report him to be a cousin, but the BC thread said it was wrong and they were not related.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by budlite View Post
                        Nevertheless, this brings me to another issue I have with JP. There is no question that he is so afraid to lose that he lets the "top" players do whatever they want and get away with it.
                        1. Jay Octeau was one of the 1st pairing D-Man on the 1985-86 team. The night before the HE Championship Game vs. BC, Octeau was out past curfew. He sat out the game.

2. I seem to recall that in 1992-93 (perhaps), Doug Friedman, Derek Herlofsky, JP McKersie and Jay Pandolfo were suspended for a game for "socializzing on a night they shouldn't have been socializing".

I don't think the charge of top players getting away with doing what they want is valid.
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

While I understand the hype for getting "local" players from Mass, I think that programs should always try to bring in the best players available, not key on the ones from their own backyards. If that top player is from CA, TX, IL, NY, CT or MA, it should be predicated upon the best available player for any given position, talent level, need, etc. The question is correct, why are the more local kids not going to BU first, but to BC? Is it BC's pitch that they want more local players and wooing those kids based upon that, they commit to BC first, therefore making it necessary for BU to look outside the area more?

Comment

Hasn't BC gotten more of the local talent over the years than BU even before York? I thought even in the 60s and 70s a lot of the players were Canadian.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that recollection. I know around the time of the 1980 Olympics the BU players were from Mass and the team had a good chunk of local talent.

But hasn't BC usually gotten their pick of the local talent?
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                              Hasn't BC gotten more of the local talent over the years than BU even before York? I thought even in the 60s and 70s a lot of the players were Canadian.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that recollection. I know around the time of the 1980 Olympics the BU players were from Mass and the team had a good chunk of local talent.

But hasn't BC usually gotten their pick of the local talent?
                              I remember sometime in the early-mid 90's looking at the program and seeing TONS of CM kids on the roster, that could easily be more school specific than local domination as a whole, and I also could be remembering it wrong as I was just a wee tot.

Comment

In the hiatus of 1997 to 2009 between BU's last two frozen fours, BC has appeared in EIGHT frozen fours.

I would venture a guess that reasons like this attribute to the rationale for why BC is out recruiting BU these days.
                                Boston University '08 Syracuse University '11
                                when you say Jack Parker... you've said it all

1994 1996 1998 1999 2000 2003 2009 2009
                                "so here's to the outhouse on the hill, 'cause BOSTON COLLEGE SUCKS, and they always will!"

Comment

Working...
                                X