Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2010 Offseason I - The Year after the Year after effect

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    "Under terms of their contracts, they will not be eligible to play with the Avs this season. "

¿Por qué es esto?
    Playing in the NHL this season would burn a year off their ELCs. Avs don't want that because it'll mean more money sooner to them.

Jack Johnson, for instance, played 5 games for LA after he left Michigan. That counted as year 1 on his ELC, which is why he signed a new, much more lucrative, RFA contract this season. If he had not played those 5 games, Johnson would be in the last year of his ELC this season.
    Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
    Boston University '06/'08
    Yale University '13

Comment

So perhaps the av's consider one or both NHL ready?

Why did the ducks allow Nick to burn a year? Is it because he is perhaps a year older and that plays a roll?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        So perhaps the av's consider one or both NHL ready?

Why did the ducks allow Nick to burn a year? Is it because he is perhaps a year older and that plays a roll?
        Every team has a different philosophy. Ducks have a more pressing need for a center to step in right away (current have Getzlaf injured and Koivu is a pending UFA). They are probably auditioning Nick to see if he can play in the top 6 starting next season.
        Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
        Boston University '06/'08
        Yale University '13

Comment

Yeah the Ducks want to see if Nick is ready right now so they can make their offseason plans for center.

This is a bit of an odd question but both Colby and Kevin had rumors about them leaving after last season. Do you think BU would have been better off if the two had left early? We might have had more of a shot with Dumoulin and Wey who both went to BC?
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

the easy answer is "yes". Even with all this "NHL talent" they snit the bed as a team results wise.... So why not clear the decks.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Figured I'd post a blog post link in order to bookmark your new thread - http://bit.ly/cEFFzC

New galleries for Kevin Shattenkirk (plus link to 1 old one), Colby Cohen (plus link to 2 old ones) and Zach Cohen who I somehow hadn't already included in a blog post.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                Yeah the Ducks want to see if Nick is ready right now so they can make their offseason plans for center.

This is a bit of an odd question but both Colby and Kevin had rumors about them leaving after last season. Do you think BU would have been better off if the two had left early? We might have had more of a shot with Dumoulin and Wey who both went to BC?
                Were either of those guys not committed at that point? Seems very late for those guys to have not known exactly where they were going so I doubt that would have changed much.
                I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

It'll be fun seeing Shatty playing for the Avs next season. Hopefully he'll be able to use that poise, intelligence and ability and make an impact.

And hopefully Colby will remove his head from his hindparts, learn how to play defense, stop showing up his teammates, grow up and cash in on his potential.
                  I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by 25 N Countin' View Post
                    And hopefully Colby will remove his head from his hindparts, learn how to play defense, stop showing up his teammates, grow up and cash in on his potential.
                    Didn't happen in Ann Arbor, didn't happen in Lincoln in USHL, didn't happen in Boston - isn't it 3 strikes and you're out?

Not sure this guy knows what defense is. The Avs drafted a player very similar to Cohen in 2006 by the name of Nigel Williams. Williams left Wisconsin, played in Major Juniors then the Avs minor system and was eventually traded to the Rangers organization. Williams is still looking for his first call up...he too, has an NHL shot with no attention to detail in front of his own goalie.
                    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by 25 N Countin' View Post
                      Were either of those guys not committed at that point? Seems very late for those guys to have not known exactly where they were going so I doubt that would have changed much.
                      Wey didn't commit until April 3rd of '09, but it was widely known that he had been leaning towards BC for a while. His other offers were from UNH, North Dakota and Minnesota. Dumoulin committed in September of '08 and picked BC over UNH, Maine and Providence.
                      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        So which came first in OT--O'Sullivan's crossbar or McEachern's shot off the post that ran along the goal line?
                        It's the same play! O'Sullivan rang one of the left pipe on an awesome outside/in move and McEachern hits the same pipe on the rebound and the puck moves right along the goal line, is almost knocked in by a NMU defenseman, and Billy Pye covers it. Mercy.

It's amazing how little I remember about this game (I was there.) I remember McEachern's post to almost-post shot like it was yesterday, but forgot that O'Sullivan hit the post to start it all.

As mentioned, the effort LaChance made to get the puck to Dave Sacco was tremendous, but Sacco's shot was a week little flip. Billy Pye was in Minneapolis he was so out of position.

Bust on Colby all you want, but let's not forget who scored the winning goal in OT last year.

BU Hockey: Defending Offensive Defenseman
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          Bust on Colby all you want, but let's not forget who scored the winning goal in OT last year.

I mean, I'll never forget that play, and I'm glad he shot the puck, but it's not exactly like he picked a corner, now is it? Some goals are clutch and examples of pure skill (see, Gilroy to Bonino), some goals are a product of luck (see, Tyson Teplitsky, 2003 Hockey East final), I know where Colby's goal fits in.

And for me, that lucky moment alone isn't enough to offset how infuriating he was in his three years. I hope the kid turns it around, but I think he's gonna have a wake-up call to deal with in professional hockey.

Comment

Thanks, Bomber. I watched the game back in '91 and watched a tape of it a number of years ago, but couldn't recall the sequence. Had to be among the closest to a championship without winning.

Federal League's story about greatest FF moments on the NESN site lists the '91 NC game 3rd. The DC Miracle, of course, ranks first.
                            http://www.nesn.com/2010/04/top-10-f...r-history.html

More Av-BU-lanche news--Yip returned to the lineup last night (with my niece in attendence). Avs have no games left with the Ducks, having played the last one on Wednesday.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              It's the same play! O'Sullivan rang one of the left pipe on an awesome outside/in move and McEachern hits the same pipe on the rebound and the puck moves right along the goal line, is almost knocked in by a NMU defenseman, and Billy Pye covers it. Mercy.

It's amazing how little I remember about this game (I was there.) I remember McEachern's post to almost-post shot like it was yesterday, but forgot that O'Sullivan hit the post to start it all.

As mentioned, the effort LaChance made to get the puck to Dave Sacco was tremendous, but Sacco's shot was a week little flip. Billy Pye was in Minneapolis he was so out of position.

I've been trying to tell the BU fans for years that McEachern's shot didn't hit both posts, now Bomber knows what I mean.

There were many remarkable goals in that game. One that few recall was Dave Tomlinson's goal that made it 6-4 NMU. Since NMU then went up 7-4, it's not thought of as one of the "comeback" goals the way Amonte's, McEachern's, and Sacco's goals are. While being pretty violently tripped, Sniper unleashes a shot that goes five-hole on Billy Pye. What I love about it is that as he starts his shot, Pye's pads are completely together. But as he completes his shot, Pye splits the pads ever so slightly, and the uck sneaks through.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Yikes. I threw everyone together, little regard for left vs. right shot at this point, anyone else can feel free to make edits.

Code:
                                Potential 2010-2011 Lineup				

F				
                                J. Pereira	C. Trivino	A. Chiasson		Bench:
                                C. Connolly	W. Megan	Vin. Saponari	        Vic. Saponari
                                S. Gill	        M. Nieto	C. Coyle		A. Glass
                                J. Courtnall	R. Gaudet	R. Santana		K. Gilroy

D				
                                D. Warsofsky	M. Nicastro			
                                S. Escobedo	R. Ruikka			Bench:
                                B. Rosen	A. Clendening			???

G				
                                K. Millan				
                                G. Rollheiser				
                                A. Kraus
                                Last edited by candycanes99; 04-03-2010, 10:52 PM. Reason: Forgot Santana...
                                Boston University 2009 Champs
                                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                                X