Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University 2010 Offseason I - The Year after the Year after effect

I'd love to read the sports stories if someone can post em. Especially the one about the Quite strom
    Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
    ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      cf06, you know why they are called Captain's practices right? If the coach was there it'd just be called practice. And we don't exactly want to end up in a RichRod situation now, do we?
      Agganis, I am not positive of the exact NCAA policy with Captain's practices but I believe 1 coach can actually be on the ice or maybe its only on the bench. My point is that in past years the coaches are regularly at these practices and they were not last year.

I'd be interested in what those closer to the team like Rogie or FL can add to this but I was told early on that Parker was everywhere but at the rink unlike past years and the other coaches were largely no-shows as well. I have been of the opinion that much of this team's lack of direction came from a lack of focus and accountability from the coaching staff that was then picked up by the players themselves.

There is accountability to go all around but Parker punishing the returning players seems childish and immature and will only foster the lack of respect and not being on the same page that impacted this year's team. Looking to next year if the accountability is not jointly shared by coaches and players alike we will be having this same conversation April 1, 2011. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
        Agganis, I am not positive of the exact NCAA policy with Captain's practices but I believe 1 coach can actually be on the ice or maybe its only on the bench. My point is that in past years the coaches are regularly at these practices and they were not last year.

I'd be interested in what those closer to the team like Rogie or FL can add to this but I was told early on that Parker was everywhere but at the rink unlike past years and the other coaches were largely no-shows as well. I have been of the opinion that much of this team's lack of direction came from a lack of focus and accountability from the coaching staff that was then picked up by the players themselves.
        I have no idea what happened with captain's practices, whether coaches were there, whether they were different than previous years. I honestly don't know anything about them. BTW, the paper was called "The Daily Free Prophet" and everything was Harry Potter-themed.

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        Is this still available on the website?
        They never went online. Gimme a couple minutes. I'll post the two relating to hockey and the aforementioned basketball article.
        Last edited by Federal League; 04-02-2010, 06:47 PM.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Projectile Dysfunction
          Terriers stifle Eagles' brooms in 150-10 victory marred by Gerbe's use of Broomagra
          By Quentin the Queer

In its first game since officially becoming the Boston University men’s quidditch team, the squad formerly known as the BU men’s hockey team defeated Boston College 150-10. The switch to quidditch came after a unanimous vote by the team to abandon hockey in the wake of their 2009 NCAA championship victory.

“Gryba excited to play quidditch,” BU assistant captain Eric Gryba said. “Gryba ram beaters with broom from behind. Gryba kill.”

There was more weak ramming than killing in the match, which featured a pathetic display of flying as most of the players couldn’t get their brooms up. The few players who did not suffer from projectile dysfunction resorted to smacking each other in the face with balls and brooms, thus limiting their scoring chances.

Because BC’s hockey team is getting ready for the Flying Four, the Eagles had to bring back former hockey players to fill their roster. Most notable among the returnees was Nathan Gerbe, who played seeker.

Gerbe was initially ruled ineligible because his broom was too small, but he was able to make it long enough to meet quidditch regulations by taking some Broomagra.

Gerbe zoomed all over the field and had 12 chances to end the match as he continually found and caught up to the snitch. Unfortunately for the Eagles, his hands were too small to close around it.

“I hate being a midget,” Gerbe said. “My broom’s so short. It just doesn’t measure up to all the other guys. It’s so embarrassing when we’re in the locker room. I can see all the guys snickering at me. I try to hide it under my robes so no one will see it.”

Neither Kieran Millan nor “Touchdown” Cory Schneider were successful in flying high enough to defend their respective goals. Despite the fact that both teams had unimpeded access to both the front and back rings all game, they struggled to fit balls into the opening.

BC’s Krys Kolanos was the only player to thrust the quaffle through the ring. He initially tried to shove two balls through the ring at once, but could only squeeze one in.

“Those rings were tight, man,” Kolanos said. “You could tell they’ve never been stretched out before. They were barely wide enough to fit your broom through, never mind a ball. I got way too greedy trying to get two balls in there.”

BU’s best scoring chance came 7 hours and 34 minutes into the ridiculously drawn-out affair when Joe Pereira came in on a breakaway. But the injury-plagued chaser somehow managed to snap his broom in half and impale himself in mid-air. Pereira’s status for the rest of the season is unknown, but reports say he is currently trying a new type of magic to help re-grow his spleen.

After twelve hours, the match finally came to an end when walk-on seeker Alex Greer accidentally swallowed the snitch, giving BU the 150-10 victory.

“I’ve never had anything enter my mouth with that kind of velocity,” Greer said. “It just slammed into the back of my throat. I gagged a little.”

Dennis Wolff returned to BU to coach the match because hockey coach Jack Parker said quidditch was “too newfangled for my liking.” He did, however, say that he expected a “great college quidditch game.”

“I don’t care for these wizard games, but I was told that defense played a big role, so I agreed to coach,” Wolff said. “Any game that has a strong emphasis on defense is OK with me. It was a hard-fought game and both teams played very hard.

“I was happy with how much we were able to slow the game down. We really made it as boring as possible for those two fans. The only disappointment tonight was that my son Matt couldn’t make it back in time to play. I certainly would’ve given him a lot of playing time."

The Terriers will next face the Perkins School of the Blind. Perkins has yet to win a game this season, as they’ve consistently struggled to dodge bludgers and find the snitch.

“It’s like we can’t even see the balls coming at us,” said Perkins coach Kellen Heller. “We’ve had shots hit us in the eyes, nose, hair, you name it. It’s messy.”
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Matt Gilroy returns to BU
            By Lieutenant Pete Mitchell

In shocking news out of Madison Square Garden, former Boston University defenseman Matt Gilroy has decided to forego the rest of his contract with the New York Rangers and return to his alma mater. Gilroy gives up the remaining portion of this year’s salary along with the $2.1 million due to him for the 2010-2011 season.

When pressed for further reasoning to his decision, a sentimental Gilroy harkened back to his glory days along Commonwealth Avenue.

“I just miss college brah,” Gilroy said. “The learning, the sophistication, the exploration of the self. I just feel like I never got a chance to show off my scholarly abilities. Also, it’s been really hard to get some when you only score 15 points as an ‘offensive defenseman.’ Wait, that last part was off record, right?”

Gilroy plans to join a variety of clubs to maximize his college experience this time. The highly successful Quidditch team has ramped up its efforts to recruit this young Muggle.

“It’s amazing how they fly around on those broomsticks,” Gilroy said. “It would be great if I knew how to apparate in the NHL; skating back to the defensive zone is just such a hassle. Also, I only got to the middle of book 3 so I’m not really sure what happens. Have they caught Sirius Black yet?”

Growing up in Long Island, Gilroy lists his only experience with magic as “the times when the tanning salon was open early on weekends, dude” and every time K-Mart had a sale on hair gel.

“The Quidditch coach has been slipping me envelopes with these things called Galleons,” Gilroy said. “They look like those coins with the chocolate inside, but so far I haven’t had any success opening them. I’m only a level 2 Druid on World of Warcraft, maybe I need to increase my mana first?”

The question on everyone’s mind is, of course: will Gilroy find time to jump-start BU’s struggling hockey program? Although the 25-year-old plans to focus on perfecting his Patronus charm, he still sees his expired eligibility as but a small hurdle.

“I can always pretend I’m my brother,” Gilroy said referring to brother Kevin, a sophomore on the men’s hockey team. “It’s not like anyone knows what he looks like or has ever seen him play.”

Comment

John Holland is literally a cheetah
              By Adam Sandler

John Holland, a junior standout with the Boston University men’s basketball team and a known animagus, has been permanently transformed into a cheetah after an unfortunate incident in West Campus Tueday.

Details on Holland’s permanent transformation are vague, but the Daily Free Press has learned the incident was started with some combination of an exploding snap, three dungbombs, four pounds of floo powder and a sloppily put together West Campus burger.

“It’s pretty unfortunate for the team,” BU coach Pat Chambers said. “He was a real BU basketball player. He wore the uniform with pride, and was really focused on the task at hand. Every time he stepped on the floor, it was a 40-minute effort. For now, we’re just going to have to consider him day-to-day.”

Holland averaged 19.2 points and 6.1 rebounds per game for the Terriers last season. The junior once hovered over many opponents at 6-foot-5 –– now he crouches in their shadows at 3-foot-8 on all fours.

“We had to buy him a step stool so he could climb into bed at night,” senior teammate and roommate Carlos Strong said. “The whole thing is pretty disturbing, really. He’s scratched up all the bedposts sharpening his claws and teeth, and he leaves gazelle carcasses on our front doorstep. And then there’s the hairballs…”

The Daily Free Press set up a meeting with Holland, but the interview proved pointless –– Holland answered all the paper’s questions with grunts, growls and roars. Furthermore, Holland spent the interview trying to corner the DFP’s diminutive photographer, trying to isolate her from the three 6-foot-plus sports reporters at the meeting.

While Chambers readily spoke to the media about Holland’s condition, he has been mum amid rumors that senior Corey Lowe was hit by one of the coach’s jinxes and transformed permanently into a scapegoat.

Comment

So, I watched the 1991 National Championship game tonight. (BU still lost.) Man, has our game changed. And I don't just mean the mullets.

- Crazy skinny goalies with no padding. Oh yeah, and HORRIBLE technique.
                - Insane offensive #'s (NMU's top two centers had 48 and 40 goals.)
                - Talk about swallowing the whistle in OT. The pulldowns, holds, grabs, trips, etc, is a riot. I'm glad we've improved on that.
                - Jack's glasses.

And what a play by "The son-in-law" on the tying goal. He was clearly the best d-man out there.

BU Hockey: 19 Years Ago This Weekend
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

So which came first in OT--O'Sullivan's crossbar or McEachern's shot off the post that ran along the goal line?

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  So, I watched the 1991 National Championship game tonight. (BU still lost.) Man, has our game changed. And I don't just mean the mullets.

- Crazy skinny goalies with no padding. Oh yeah, and HORRIBLE technique.
                  - Insane offensive #'s (NMU's top two centers had 48 and 40 goals.)
                  - Talk about swallowing the whistle in OT. The pulldowns, holds, grabs, trips, etc, is a riot. I'm glad we've improved on that.
                  - Jack's glasses.

And what a play by "The son-in-law" on the tying goal. He was clearly the best d-man out there.

BU Hockey: 19 Years Ago This Weekend
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_v3C...layer_embedded

Shades of Kevin Schaeffer in the 2006 NCAA Regional final.
                    Last edited by buoldtimer; 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM.
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_v3C...layer_embedded

Shades of Kevin Schaeffer in the 2006 NCAA Regional final.
                      You're thinking Pete on the night following the fogout the following season, Kevin passed to Boyle, not the back of the net, in the regional final.

Comment

Twitter is reporting that both Shattenkirk and Cohen have signed with the Avs.

Good luck guys.
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                          Twitter is reporting that both Shattenkirk and Cohen have signed with the Avs.

Good luck guys.
                          http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...nd-cohen-sign/
                          By Adrian Dater, The Denver Post

The Avalanche will announce later today the signings of two key defensive prospects, Kevin Shattenkirk and Colby Cohen, to entry level NHL contracts.

Both players played at Boston University and were drafted by the Avs.
                          Both players will report to Lake Erie of the AHL. Under terms of their contracts, they will not be eligible to play with the Avs this season.
                          "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Cohen and Shattenkirk signings confirmed by the Avs website, as well.
                            Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                              Cohen and Shattenkirk signings confirmed by the Avs website, as well.
                              Commence the Lake Erie Terriers.
                              Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                              Boston University '06/'08
                              Yale University '13

Comment

"Under terms of their contracts, they will not be eligible to play with the Avs this season. "

¿Por qué es esto?
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X