• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

Originally posted by skeptic View Post
    My contention is that there are numerous teams that have won similar title numbers as BC in the last ten years, including Denver, Minnesota, and by the weekend....possibly Wisconsin. Suggesting that BC is "far and away the best" over the last ten + years based, I suspect, on final four appearances, many of which have been through venues within a stones throw of Boston, not to mention BC's struggles to win the title when getting there, is quite a stretch.
    We think highly of York and the BC program in the west, but no more than the top three or four WCHA programs over that same time span.
    Oh, good God. Shut up.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

My contention is that there are numerous teams that have won similar title numbers as BC in the last ten years, including Denver, Minnesota, and by the weekend....possibly Wisconsin. Suggesting that BC is "far and away the best" over the last ten + years based, I suspect, on final four appearances, many of which have been through venues within a stones throw of Boston, not to mention BC's struggles to win the title when getting there, is quite a stretch.
    We think highly of York and the BC program in the west, but no more than the top three or four WCHA programs over that same time span.

could i get an update here

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

let us also disregard how you have already unceremoniously awarded wisconsin this year's trophy.. i keep forgetting where they won their last one. oh thats right, milwaukee.

you were saying?

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

It. Doesn't. Matter.

The nature of east vs. west is that the venues are closer in the east and the successful ones keep winning bids. That's Worcester and Manchester on a regular basis with Providence, Amherst, Bridgeport, Albany, Rochester sprinkled in. And again, almost all of those you will consider to be in close proximity to BC until you get out to Albany.

Leave a comment:

• BCMike22
    replied

I will attempt one more tap on the BC faithful hornet nest before I run off. I will admit that my choice of the words 'stone 's throw' lacked accuracy. Allow me to change it to....let's say.... shouting distance. Worcester (4) Manchester (2). Don't like that one? How's about "short bicycle ride from Commonwealth, or a flightless airplane ride from one end of Logan to the other? Lighten up guys, BC is one of the top programs in the country. We can all admit to that.
    I think people took exception to your comment about being one of the top three or four teams within your conference.

I'm in Atlanta now and that's how the SEC football fans sound when they start dismissing other successful teams / programs from other areas of the country.

...but, I'm sure you knew that. It's fun to poke the hornet's nest now and again s'all good.

Leave a comment:

• skeptic
    replied

I will attempt one more tap on the BC faithful hornet nest before I run off. I will admit that my choice of the words 'stone 's throw' lacked accuracy. Allow me to change it to....let's say.... shouting distance. Worcester (4) Manchester (2). Don't like that one? How's about "short bicycle ride from Commonwealth, or a flightless airplane ride from one end of Logan to the other? Lighten up guys, BC is one of the top programs in the country. We can all admit to that.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_NH
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    minnesota is a wonderful example. their 2003 title was won in st paul; and their 2002 regional was won on campus. brilliant.
    Exactly. He throws out the 'stone's throw' metaphor without really thinking it through with respect to the rest of the leagues.

So I guess if Miami wins it all, we have a built-in reason to dismiss their Championship: Ft. Wayne and Detroit are a 'stone's throw' away from their campus.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

We're still waiting for Jerry to utter a curse word.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

oh yeah, i flipped the years. and it was the 2003 regional that was on campus.

Leave a comment:

• Zudnic
    replied

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    their 2003 title was won in st paul
    That was one hell of a home ice advantage, I might add. (it was 2002, btw)

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

minnesota is a wonderful example. their 2003 title was won in st paul; and their 2002 regional was won on campus. brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

many of which have been through venues within a stones throw of Boston,
    What does that have to do with anything? First, some teams host regionals in their own freakin building out west. Second, BC teams that have been sent went in the York era (1999, and 2000) got plopped right in the bracket of death with the best team in the tournament (North Dakota/Wisconsin) and promptly smacked both teams in the *** on the way back to the Frozen Four. So really, you look like a buffoon for saying that. It doesn't really seem to matter where or who BC plays in the NCAAs since York got this machine rolling. Top teams, bottom teams, out west, or east. BC routinely gets it done.

While some teams have as many national titles, compare BC with everyone else across all of the postseason accomplishments and BC is above all of them. Postseason record, title game appearances, Frozen Fours, league tournament trophies, etc. This run that BC is on since 1998 is ridiculous. It is tough to argue.

Leave a comment:

• joegrav
    replied

[QUOTE=skeptic;4737702]
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Except mookie is a BU fan. And I doubt he's sandbagging. (and I would probably agree with him).

No... your contention was that it was BC fans chest-thumping... when the comment came from a fan of BC's biggest rival.

BC, Denver and Minnesota each have 2 titles since 2000; BC dwarfs the other two in FF appearances and also has won something like 7 out of the last 13 conference championships. Spin it any way you want, that puts BC ahead of Denver and Minnesota (with all due respect to those two great programs, which are probably my favorite teams in the west).

Leave a comment:

• skeptic
    replied

[QUOTE=Nick Papagiorgio;4737500]Except mookie is a BU fan. And I doubt he's sandbagging. (and I would probably agree with him).

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Except mookie is a BU fan. And I doubt he's sandbagging. (and I would probably agree with him).

Regarding Jerry York. He is overrated. I want to have Dick Umile as our coach. He has orchestrated 7 regular season titles at UNH. Imagine what he could do at a school like BC - you might not see another team win the RS title again and he'd probably win a lot of Beanpots given his amazing success before March rolls around too! No one remembers who wins these silly little 4 game tournaments in March. It's all about the regular season and the amazing journey that Umile brings us on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X