Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Conte Forum was built in the late 80s, correct? So it's a little over 20 years old. Is that "aging" now? I am getting old.
    IIRC it opened in '88. It is definitely showing its age, and in the past few years they have done some nice work to freshen it up. Surely from a player perspective it's not up to the standards of sparkling new arenas like Agganis, Goggin, or the new Bemidji barn. It is probably comparable to arenas in the 10-20 year range like Mullins or Maruicci. I doubt BC would let it deteriorate like BGSU.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Someday (not in the near future), BC should have its own hockey specific arena. They certainly have the money.

Comment

Originally posted by yuber View Post
        At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important
        Duh.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
          It is probably comparable to arenas in the 10-20 year range like ... Mariucci.
          This is pretty much blasphemy.

Comment

Originally posted by yuber View Post
            On a tangent......

Conte Forum was constructed as a basketball arena first...hockey second.

In my mind, the administration made a mistake in accepting that design. In 20 years, BC basketball has pretty much sunk to mediocrity. Hockey, on the other hand, has done very well.

At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important at Agganis Arena. Its a hockey venue....pure and simple.
            Pfffffffffffff.

The hoops team was in the ACC title game not too long ago and had some very good teams that Skinner screwed up with in the NCAAs in the not so distant past.

Are they mediocre now? Maybe that's even generous. But about 4 years ago they were pretty good and a pick by one major publication to win the national title going into the tourney with Hinnant, Smith, and Dudley.

Let's see what happens now that they got rid of Skinner. Not too long ago both programs were highly competitive and the arena served both programs quite well and the arena continues to do so as they've continually made upgrades to it (check out the new scoreboards). BU built a hockey only facility because their athletic department is a one-trick pony. That's nothing to be proud of - which can be said of most things associated with BU.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              This is pretty much blasphemy.
              I meant in terms of player facilities.
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Someday (not in the near future), BC should have its own hockey specific arena. They certainly have the money.
                But not the land.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                  I meant in terms of player facilities.
                  It's still blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Pfffffffffffff.

The hoops team was in the ACC title game not too long ago and had some very good teams that Skinner screwed up with in the NCAAs in the not so distant past.

Are they mediocre now? Maybe that's even generous. But about 4 years ago they were pretty good and a pick by one major publication to win the national title going into the tourney with Hinnant, Smith, and Dudley.

Let's see what happens now that they got rid of Skinner. Not too long ago both programs were highly competitive and the arena served both programs quite well and the arena continues to do so as they've continually made upgrades to it (check out the new scoreboards). BU built a hockey only facility because their athletic department is a one-trick pony. That's nothing to be proud of - which can be said of most things associated with BU.
                    Ok...I happpen to like Coach Skinner. I think he did a pretty good job. But in my comparison, whatever BC basketball did pales in comparison to what BC hockey has done. The basketball team has not won a national championship.

That's the basis of my comparison. If I hurt feelings by calling the basketball team "mediocre", excuse my poor choice of words. You're right, they've had some pretty good teams. But York's hockey teams have been better.
                    Thank goodness for advanced technology.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Interesting parallels

Jerry got the Clarkson head coach job in 1972-73 when he was 27. 4 years later he has the #1 team in the nation. He can recruit and he can teach. Plus he wasn't that bad a tennis coach either!
                      Here's a little more...ironic timing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...us-620656.html
                      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by BCMike22 View Post
                        I'd love to have Enrico Blasi. Really a great hockey coach.
                        York is like college hockey's version of Bill Belichick (post season success, etc) and Blasi reminds me of Josh McDaniel (young gun, rising star)

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                          York is like college hockey's version of Bill Belichick (post season success, etc) and Blasi reminds me of Josh McDaniel (young gun, rising star)

Don't insult York drawing comparisons to Belichick, especially with that "etc."
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

from a pure job performance perspective only and i assume this is what you meant because in anything else in life they are NOTHING alike. York is a prince and the other guy is a scum bag, IMO. piece of dirt

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post

Don't insult York drawing comparisons to Belichick, especially with that "etc."
                              Drawing a football analogy with postseason performance, it's not a bad one. Both are thought to be amongst the best all-time compared with their peers.

Comment

Except unlike McDaniel and Belichik, Blasi is a George Gwozdecky protege, not Jerry York's.

Comment

Working...
                                X