Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

    Sounds like Blake Kessel is in shape and ready for the season:
    "As for the lean, new look, (Phil) Kessel said he didn’t do anything different this summer, other than intense workouts with his brother and sister, who each play NCAA hockey."
    http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/hoc.../15394706.html
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

    Comment


    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

      Originally posted by freak View Post
      New corners at the Whitt, left side of the student section:

      *****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs651.snc4/61100_717439638161_11009089_40805858_3961449_n.jpg******

      That is diamond plate covering the gap to where the old sheet extended.

      Sorry Gib... No sign of photog holes, although I've not walked the arena yet.
      Is the glass seamless on the sides? Also are those blue dashers?

      Comment


      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

        Originally posted by Gibber View Post
        Is the glass seamless on the sides? Also are those blue dashers?
        Gib you can see where the glass turns to seamless. It's once the corner is over. And blue dashers makes way more sense than red.
        UNH

        "Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

        Comment


        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

          Originally posted by Gibber View Post
          Is the glass seamless on the sides? Also are those blue dashers?
          Yes and yes.
          113-162-27 .419

          252-113-40 .672

          Comment


          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

            I skated at the Whit yesterday; I took pictures from ice level of the new corners (along with the new ice surface, boards, etc) but they didn't come out -- I'll try again next open skate tomorrow.

            The corners are 'regulation-NHL' corners, according to the blueprints, and it is a noticeable change from the soft, sweeping angles of before. It's an interesting combination, with the ice obviously still being so wide, but with the tight corners. This will force UNH to play more physically in the corners than ever before at home, I think, but this should translate to hopefully better play away from the Whit. Also, I was told the goal line was moved back; there's less room between the boards and the goal line. That'll be interesting, as it'll open up play in front of the net, but again will force more contact behind the net. Looking forward to watching the UNH Defense in the 1st and 3rd, as my seats are right down on the goal line opposite the student section.

            Gibber: didn't see any photography spots, but will check more closely tomorrow morning.

            The lights have all been updated. And perhaps most importantly, for the first time in something like 6 or 7 years, the Whittemore Center is 100% mold free.

            Open skate was interesting, as well, because they're still working in there . . . skating around construction workers, the glass, their tools . . . made for an interesting first day back on skates in 6 months!
            I haven't been on here in a year...
            Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

            Comment


            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

              In other news, anybody here attending the "Colonial Clash" down at Gilette Stadium? Tickets are selling at a fairly steady clip; UNH is doing a good job of pushing the $10 student tickets and $5 fan bus -- everytime I go to the Whit / Hamel, there's another kid buying a block of tickets. Glad I bought mine early; sitting on the 40 yard line, 8 rows deep.
              I haven't been on here in a year...
              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

              Comment


              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                In other news, anybody here attending the "Colonial Clash" down at Gilette Stadium? Tickets are selling at a fairly steady clip; UNH is doing a good job of pushing the $10 student tickets and $5 fan bus -- everytime I go to the Whit / Hamel, there's another kid buying a block of tickets. Glad I bought mine early; sitting on the 40 yard line, 8 rows deep.
                Contemplating leaving at the half in order to make it back to Durham in time for face off.
                113-162-27 .419

                252-113-40 .672

                Comment


                • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                  Originally posted by freak View Post
                  Contemplating leaving at the half in order to make it back to Durham in time for face off.
                  There is no hockey game in Durham that night.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

                  Comment


                  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                    Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                    There is no hockey game in Durham that night.
                    113-162-27 .419

                    252-113-40 .672

                    Comment


                    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                      I really don't get leaving at the half...... there really isn't a game on the schedule.... unless I am blind http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2010-11/schedule

                      Comment


                      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                        Originally posted by [UNH]Rig View Post
                        I really don't get leaving at the half...... there really isn't a game on the schedule.... unless I am blind http://unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2010-11/schedule
                        113-162-27 .419

                        252-113-40 .672

                        Comment


                        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                          Originally posted by freak View Post
                          New corners at the Whitt, left side of the student section:

                          *****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs651.snc4/61100_717439638161_11009089_40805858_3961449_n.jpg******

                          That is diamond plate covering the gap to where the old sheet extended.

                          Sorry Gib... No sign of photog holes, although I've not walked the arena yet.
                          what do you mean by "where the old sheet extended"? did they let Lake Whitt evaporate a bit to a more normal size sheet? which i think would be a good idea for UNH btw............
                          *****

                          Comment


                          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                            Originally posted by freak View Post
                            Instead of rolling your eyes at people over and over again, just tell them that there is a women's game at the whitt.
                            UNH

                            "Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

                            Comment


                            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                              Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                              what do you mean by "where the old sheet extended"? did they let Lake Whitt evaporate a bit to a more normal size sheet? which i think would be a good idea for UNH btw............
                              Yeah, the corners are regulation NHL now. It's still 100' across, but the corners are tight. The goal line has been moved back, as well, so there's less room back there.
                              I haven't been on here in a year...
                              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

                              Comment


                              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                                I'm starting to get excited about the upcoming season and might even take in the exhibition game this year.

                                Go Cats!!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X