Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    You've covered the potential upside. The potential downside is they will be very difficult out-of-conference points to earn - and there aren't many opportunities to get them.
    Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
    We saw that downside firsthand last year, as they dropped 3 of 4 points to Miami at home then got embarrassed in both games at Wisconsin. They were in a Pairwise hole right out of the gate and each game for the rest of the season took on more importance. Fortunately, they were able to claw their way into the tournament (by a fraction) by playing well in Hockey East, but the grind had taken a toll on them. One major downside is that they were not able to get Digi any playing time, and many feel he is not well enough prepared for starting duties this year.
    Hopefully they can win more than one OOC game this year (particularly one of these early ones). I think we saw last season that a goalie (and a team) can gain/regain that confidence as the season goes on. I doubt many of the players last year were going into any of those final few games thinking "man, we played terribly out in Wisconsin!"

I was convinced that I was the only one left with any optimism about the upcoming season.
    Nope. I'm fully optimistic this year. I expect great things in April from this team.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
      Nope. I'm fully optimistic this year. I expect great things in April from this team.
      On the golf course?
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'm fully optimistic this year. I expect great things in April from this team.
        Now that's loyalty

I think the defense corp, top to bottom, could be the best we've seen in several years.
        I'm not concerned about the team scoring enough goals.
        If Matt DiGirolamo comes out and plays solid from October 8th to November 5th, then your prediction sounds feasible.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

I doubt many of the players last year were going into any of those final few games thinking "man, we played terribly out in Wisconsin!"
          I never stated that to be the case and it most definitely was not insinuated. My point about not doing anything out of conference was that it put them in a terrible position to start the year, and despite winning the Hockey East regular season, they needed to do a lot of scoreboard watching during league championship weekend. With the experience of this year's team, they'll be able to skate with (or at least near) Miami and Michigan, the only question mark is goaltending.
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
            Now that's loyalty

I think the defense corp, top to bottom, could be the best we've seen in several years.
            I'm not concerned about the team scoring enough goals.
            If Matt DiGirolamo comes out and plays solid from October 8th to November 5th, then your prediction sounds feasible.
            Agreed on all counts. However, if Digi struggles, I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Scott get a chance.
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Some fond recollections of UNH and Durham:
              http://www.nesn.com/2010/09/andy-bri...ne-liners.html

Comment

I never stated that to be the case and it most definitely was not insinuated. My point about not doing anything out of conference was that it put them in a terrible position to start the year, and despite winning the Hockey East regular season, they needed to do a lot of scoreboard watching during league championship weekend. With the experience of this year's team, they'll be able to skate with (or at least near) Miami and Michigan, the only question mark is goaltending.
                I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was agreeing with you on the OOC games and noting that their situation last year in that regard was about as bad as possible. My point about the team not thinking about the Wisconsin game was more to your post about wanting an early season "easy" game for Digi to build some confidence. I don't think playing tough OOC games, even if they turn out like Wisco last year, is going to wreck the kid's confidence. It's possible it could shake him, but it's such a long season that by March, he'll have had plenty of time to build that confidence back and forget about an early season hardships.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                On the golf course?
                Yes, but later in the month, when the weather's a little better for it around here. Closer to May.
                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                -Fred Shero

Comment

UNH has resurrected baseball?
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    UNH has resurrected baseball?
                    I think he's actually coming out of the closet... BC fan.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                      I think he's actually coming out of the closet... BC fan.
                      Yep. Only, I'm hiding it by calling them UNH...?

Actually, I've just stopped caring about/listening to the endless chorus of "UNH is never going to win". I don't see the point, and I don't see the harm in believing in my team.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

I've just stopped caring about/listening to the endless chorus of "UNH is never going to win". I don't see the point, and I don't see the harm in believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny
                        FYP

Comment

Honest question... how is the UNH offense going to be? I know they always lose top scorers and continue to replicate good offensive numbers year after year but I don't know... I look at this roster and I don't see them playing in April at all. And I'd love to see them win the big one in my lifetime. But I don't see it.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Honest question... how is the UNH offense going to be? I know they always lose top scorers and continue to replicate good offensive numbers year after year but I don't know... I look at this roster and I don't see them playing in April at all. And I'd love to see them win the big one in my lifetime. But I don't see it.
                            While the offense isn't exactly stacked with Atkinson, Kreider, Hayes etc, they will be fine. They only lost two forwards last year (albeit big ones in Butler and Leblanc), but there is plenty of room for guys in the sophomore and junior classes to step up. Desimone, Sislo and Thompson should carry the load at the top, with Henrion, Burke and Moses also stepping up to contribute. Don't expect too much production from the freshmen forwards, however, as that class looks like the weakest class since 2002.

Comment

Honest question - honest answer.
                              Historically, the key to UNH consistently generating offense and points has been the pretty good (but not great) forwards who stay all four years. These tend to be the guys who were good enough to excel in junior hockey but not good enough to be drafted by NHL teams. A partial list includes:
                              Matt Fornataro
                              Mike Radja
                              Jacob Micflikier
                              Jerry Pollastrone
                              Bobby Butler
                              By the time they make it to their senior year, they improve enough to be offered entry level contracts in the pros.

If UNH is to generate sufficient offense this year (which I think they will) it will be because this type of player on the current squad will put up good numbers. That means guys like Mike Sislo, Paul Thompson, and Stevie Moses, all of whom were invited to participate in NHL Developmental Camps this summer. Others that fit this mold are John Henrion, Dalton Speelman, and Nick Sorkin. Add these players to the upperclassmen, who have been drafted by NHL teams - Phil DeSimone, Greg Burke, and Blake Kessel - and you've got another competitive team.

Comment

New corners at the Whitt, left side of the student section:

*****http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs651.snc4/61100_717439638161_11009089_40805858_3961449_n.jpg******

That is diamond plate covering the gap to where the old sheet extended.

Sorry Gib... No sign of photog holes, although I've not walked the arena yet.
                                113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Working...
                                X