Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Honoring the humble, Coach Charlie Holt:
        http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20100511qdn82y
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Win or lose, JvR is earning his NHL playoff wings tonight with a goal, SOG's and nifty passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
            Win or lose, JvR is earning his NHL playoff wings tonight with a goal, SOG's and nifty passes.
            He's having a good game thats for sure. What is it with these Boston teams and their 3-0 leads (see Boston Bruins, BC Eagles)?
            Last edited by GoUNH; 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM.

Comment

JvR looks great. Why couldn't he do this in college?

Comment

Originally posted by Noreaster View Post
                Fair question. There are probably a bunch of reasons. Three possible explanations that come to mind are:
                (1) He's back to playing left wing which is probably his more "natural" position.
                (2) He's been throwing many more body checks in the pros than he did at UNH. I think playing physical is the accepted expectation in the NHL while a college player, especially in Hockey East, can get by without playing the body as much. Why sacrifice your body in the college game when you are not getting paid many thousands of dollars to do so?
                (3) More experience, practice, coaching, etc.

Comment

JVR looked good in one out of seven games. Just like college...
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I'm sure it also helps that he is playing with higher caliber players than he was at UNH.
                    Last edited by UNHhockey29; 05-15-2010, 12:49 PM.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                      I'm sure it also helps that he is playing with higher caliber players than he was at UNH.
                      By the same token, the caliber of the opposing players (e.g., Zdeno Chara, Tuukka Rask, etc.) is also higher than in college.

Comment

By the same token, the caliber of the opposing players (e.g., Zdeno Chara, Tuukka Rask, etc.) is also higher than in college.
                        Very true!
                        UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I'm pretty sure he scored at least one goal, took some shots on net, and made some nifty passes in college.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            I'm pretty sure he scored at least one goal, took some shots on net, and made some nifty passes in college.
                            I'm as big a JVR apologist as you'll find on these forums, but I'm pretty sure he didn't throw the body regularly, win puck battles against one of the three best defensemen in the game and win eight playoff games (and counting) during his rookie season at UNH. Congrats to Reemer and the Flyers for showing a lot of heart in a historic comeback. Whatever success he has in the show will reflect highly on the UNH program, and you have to admire a kid that is already giving back to the school (in numerous ways) less than a year after he left.
                            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              I'm as big a JVR apologist as you'll find on these forums, but I'm pretty sure he didn't throw the body regularly, win puck battles against one of the three best defensemen in the game and win eight playoff games (and counting) during his rookie season at UNH. Congrats to Reemer and the Flyers for showing a lot of heart in a historic comeback. Whatever success he has in the show will reflect highly on the UNH program, and you have to admire a kid that is already giving back to the school (in numerous ways) less than a year after he left.
                              That would probably be why he went to UNH for 2 years instead of going right to Philly. Needed to learn and grow.
                              UNH

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                                I'm as big a JVR apologist as you'll find on these forums, but I'm pretty sure he didn't throw the body regularly, win puck battles against one of the three best defensemen in the game and win eight playoff games (and counting) during his rookie season at UNH.
                                No doubt, but I was referring specifically to the points CHC mentioned in the post Noreaster quoted.

(And you could have left of the "(and counting)"; yes, the Flyers won tonight, making it 9, but in college, he couldn't have won more than 8 (not to mention the single-elimination format in college).)
                                Last edited by thecomicbookguy; 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM.
                                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                                -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                                X