Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I can't see anyone going to a game that involves Cornell and having a good time. If Cornell fans weren't so stupid and annoying, I'd feel bad for them.
    Good point.

CBG, for the record, I don't agonize over BC's losses like I used to, but it still blows when it happens, especially on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      I can't see anyone going to a game that involves Cornell and having a good time. If Cornell fans weren't so stupid and annoying, I'd feel bad for them.
      Pretty sure we had a good time at the game against Cornell last month (and 2002 and 2003... in fact it seems like Cornell is the only team UNH might actually own in the post season?!)

But the points are all good here... people get a different experience out of the games, and seeing the different arenas, and atmospheres is part of what makes college hockey great... different fans definitely have different expectations. I can understand not being able to enjoy a game when your team loses, and I can also understand being upset your team loses, but having a good time at a road game interacting (in good fun) with the home team fans, or just soaking in the atmosphere..

Comment

• OOC scheduling limitations

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        Coach Umile feels it is more important to let his players enjoy break and time with their families.
        Can't take issue with that.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          Yet you seem to think making signs and banging a cowbell will create change. LOL. You UNHers are great comedy, I'll give you that.
          I wasn't talking to you but when did I say I was making great change by putting signs up on the glass or having a cowbell? Pretty sure that would just be staying the same and not making change.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

It's pretty obvious that replying to trollers is a no-no. I'm amazed that some of you continue to do it (unless this is the way you get your jollies). Ignoring BC fans is pretty obvious, but why would anyone want to reply to a Brown fan? Or for that matter, Bill B?

I'm going to break that final rule just this once. Bill, you are not a UNH fan. In fact, since you never have anything good to say about UNH, I'd be willing to bet that you don't even go to games. Somehow you have dubbed yourself as the chief of the fashion police, going on endlessly about Umile's mock necks. Not sure why anyone cares what you have to say. Frankly, you are an embarrassment. Why don't you just go away. Please.

Comment

Post lost to unstable wireless.

I personally never have "fun" at a losing game, regardless of site. However, some losing experiences are more ... shall we say, palatable, than others. Those depend on the atmosphere of the arena. In some cases, it also depends on the presence (or lack thereof) of student fans. VT, for example, was a nice experience for me. It was UVM spring break at the time. At Providence, just this past season, I met two charming boys who cheered for New Hampshire, but were truly Providence fans. They knew about the game, and they were genuinely interested in the play on both sides of the puck. They were a pleasure to sit with - especially after the one with popcorn wiped his greasy paw prints off the glass.

I won't go into the away games that were not so fun for me, partly because they included a weekend in Maine and a trip down to Merrimack, and partly because I still get ticked when I think about how people think they can treat others, just because of the different sweaters. Call security on me, why I oughta... your mother was a hamster!
              Originally posted by state of hockey
              Tecate tonight. Haha!
              Ugh. That was a bad idea.
              Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

On sort of related notes...

1) Scott Sicko turned down several NFL teams including the Pats and the Cowboys. The articles report he decided if a team valued him enough to draft him he would try his hand at professional football. Otherwise he was going to grad school and moving forward with his life. If I had his talent I think I would at least try a year of training camp / practice squad with a team that has a good record with undrafted players. However, you have to respect his decision to not roll the dice with his body and go for his Masters (in whatever). Clearly the student athlete in this case got the most out of the educational opportunity.

Edit - Here is the time union article - http://blog.timesunion.com/mcguire/i...s-to-nfl/7547/
                Edit - Peter Kings article is better than the times union. It takes up 80% of the 2nd page of his 6 page column. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...5/draft/1.html
                Edit - Sicko apparently decide Tuesday not to have doubts down the road about what if and signed with Dallas.

2) Last year UNH finish second nationally for Div I NCAA schools in graduation rate of athletes. I don't have the article in front of me but two numbers were presented 97% and 95%. I think the school finished at 95% for all athletes with the football team at 97% (but it could have been the other way around). Number one nationally was Navy. Either graduation rate is way above the general student body average, good for all of those UNH student-athletes.
                Last edited by JB; 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I still believe that fans and players enjoy watching instant replays. Here's a way to upgrade the spectating experience at both the Whit and Cowell Stadium:
                  http://www.daktronics.com/Company/Ne...niversity.aspx
                  If small colleges in Louisiana and Michigan can afford 21st century scoreboards, then I'd like to see UNH look into it.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                    I still believe that fans and players enjoy watching instant replays. Here's a way to upgrade the spectating experience at both the Whit and Cowell Stadium:
                    If small colleges in Louisiana and Michigan can afford 21st century scoreboards, then I'd like to see UNH look into it.
                    Central Michigan has a 28,000 student enrollment, while Northwestern State (according to the parent of a NW St. softball recruit) is a WELL funded athletic department. I would love a Daktronics video board too, but just sayin...
                    Live Free or Die!!

Comment

UNH is looking into it though. The amber board was supposed to be a video board but they just didn't have the funding. I had heard (and this is just hear say) that the Whitt is supposed to get seamless glass on the sides and a video board in the near future, but I'll believe that one when I see it. I could see the seamless glass going in first though.
                      UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                        UNH is looking into it though. The amber board was supposed to be a video board but they just didn't have the funding. I had heard (and this is just hear say) that the Whitt is supposed to get seamless glass on the sides and a video board in the near future, but I'll believe that one when I see it. I could see the seamless glass going in first though.
                        Any idea where they got the money for that? Can't be cheap, but a video board would be awfully nice . . .
                        I haven't been on here in a year...
                        Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                          Any idea where they got the money for that? Can't be cheap, but a video board would be awfully nice . . .
                          No it isn't cheap. Hence why we didn't get one in 2001 with the scoreboard. My guess is they have been trying to save but I really don't know. It was just something I heard last season and my reaction was I'll believe it when I see it. I do know that they are planning on getting one at some point though and all the hook ups are there where the amber board is.
                          UNH

Comment

I've never heard of/consciously noticed seamless glass. What's that like? I mean, what are the benefits? Granted, we don't break a lot of glass at UNH (maybe if we hit a little more....), but I would think seamless glass would be harder and more expensive to repair/replace, on the off chance our boys start throwing it around a little more.

PS, what's with the taller glass around the sides? Like, I get that it's safer, because hello, it's taller and would block more stray pucks, but really? They couldn't get taller supports to go along? For a while, I thought it was because there was too much crowd noise getting to the ice, and then I remembered what the Whitt sounded like these past few seasons...
                            Tecate tonight. Haha!
                            Ugh. That was a bad idea.
                            Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
                              I've never heard of/consciously noticed seamless glass. What's that like? I mean, what are the benefits? Granted, we don't break a lot of glass at UNH (maybe if we hit a little more....), but I would think seamless glass would be harder and more expensive to repair/replace, on the off chance our boys start throwing it around a little more.

PS, what's with the taller glass around the sides? Like, I get that it's safer, because hello, it's taller and would block more stray pucks, but really? They couldn't get taller supports to go along? For a while, I thought it was because there was too much crowd noise getting to the ice, and then I remembered what the Whitt sounded like these past few seasons...
                              Seamless in that there are no metal posts in between the panes of glass (panes are connected at the top). Looks better, is easier to see through.
                              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by WildKitty View Post

The taller glass has helped out the team defensively being able to clear more pucks off the glass without it flying up and into the stands. They didn't get taller supports because they are supposed to be getting the seamless glass. No sense in getting taller posts for a year or two.
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X