Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
    Congratulations to Mike Sislo and Matt Campanale on being named being named Captain and Alternate Captain for 2010-2011. I'm a little surprised that Desimone didn't receive a letter as well, but I know Sislo and Camp will do a great job leading the team.
    I'd have guessed Thompson over DeSimone, but that's just from watching them play. I think Sislo and Camp are great choices.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
      So "home ice advantage" is a myth. There is absolutely 0 advantage to playing in front of a rabid home crowd. 6000, rabid fans, or an empty arena, same energy. I learned something today
      The home ice thing is important because kids can sleep in their own beds, have set routines, etc. It's a comfort zone. Road games mean bus rides (or plane rides), hotels, strange locker rooms, etc. That is where home ice advantage is important.

a "rabid home crowd" is more for the fans feeling they are a part of the outcome, not something opposing players even give a crap about.
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        The home ice thing is important because kids can sleep in their own beds, have set routines, etc. It's a comfort zone. Road games mean bus rides (or plane rides), hotels, strange locker rooms, etc. That is where home ice advantage is important.

a "rabid home crowd" is more for the fans feeling they are a part of the outcome, not something opposing players even give a crap about.
        So the home ice advantage theory is based solely on which mattress the players sleep on

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
          So the home ice advantage theory is based solely on which mattress the players sleep on
          Sigh.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
            Congratulations to Mike Sislo and Matt Campanale on being named being named Captain and Alternate Captain for 2010-2011. I'm a little surprised that Desimone didn't receive a letter as well, but I know Sislo and Camp will do a great job leading the team.
            Intersting, thought Desimone would get a letter to. Had a chance to talk to his father before the RIT game and sounded like he kind of wanted a letter, then again he hadn't decided if he was going to come back next year. Guess Washington is after him to sign, but is sounds like he is leaning towards coming back as he really likes Durham, wonder if that had anything to do with him not getting a letter.

Comment

• Leadership is key

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox
              Over the last two seasons, the captains seemed to have set the tone and helped to define the character of the teams. Both teams developed a pattern of working hard on most shifts and not letting down when falling behind in a game - especially in the NCAA tournament. This was particularly true this season. For each of the last two years, there were two captains:

08-09: Greg Collins & Joe Charlebois
              09-10: Bobby Butler & Peter LeBlanc

During the 07-08 and 06-07 seasons, there was only one captain; Matt Fornataro and Josh Ciocco, respectively. My recollection is that these teams had untimely lapses in effort - again, especially in the NCAA playoffs.

I wonder whether a two captain model works better than one captain with one or more assistants.
              The "two captain model" definitely works better if one doesn't effectively get himself kicked off the team at midseason. I'm sure Coach Umile would like to have had a mulligan on the Charlebois selection. But stuff happens.

There is no set answer to this question. All depends on the team, and the players involved. I have a lot of time for kids like Butler, Collins, Fornataro and Ciocco ... but truth be told, the last really strong captain UNH has had was Patrick Foley. I gave Coach Umile tons of credit back then for having the guts and belief in Foley to factor him into a formal leadership role for 3 years - something you see VERY rarely, but something that clearly worked for that player and those teams. It would have been nice to see Butler get at least an "A" for his junior season. He certainly proved himself worthy.

Getting your leadership choices right is one of the biggest decisions the coach of ANY team can make. And any coach/program that just follows a boilerplate approach (i.e. we will pick two seniors, one "C" and one "A" every season, or something similar) is really missing the boat big-time. JMHO.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Survey Says:
                *****http://briefwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/family-feud-3-strikes.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                  Survey Says:
                  *****http://briefwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/family-feud-3-strikes.jpg******
                  Nice way to describe your 1999, 2002, and 2003 seasons. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                    I'd have guessed Thompson over DeSimone, but that's just from watching them play. I think Sislo and Camp are great choices.
                    I was thinking PT as well, but only the coaches, players and those very close to the team know the dynamics that make a player the best choice to wear the C. One thing I like is the possibility of the team's most productive player, PT or maybe DeSimone, not being the captain.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Agreed. The flip side that leads to some teams being great on the road is the elimination of distractions allowing complete focus on the task at hand.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                        Nice way to describe the 'class' of BC fans LOL, OMG, ROTLFLFLKJGLKJBVAL
                        I agree, stay classy, and keep up the tradition of winning with class. I almost, ALMOST feel sorry for you losers, not happy enough being fans of the best team and coach in college hockey, but its not surprising that fans of dBC are more happy crapping on fans of everyone else than celebrating their victory. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          I agree, stay classy, and keep up the tradition of winning with class. I almost, ALMOST feel sorry for you losers, not happy enough being fans of the best team and coach in college hockey, but its not surprising that fans of dBC are more happy crapping on fans of everyone else than celebrating their victory. Congrats!
                          So the guy has an opinion, you post a picture being a DBAG because you disagree, and he's the jerk. Ok, gotcha. Nice hillbilly logic there.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            So the guy has an opinion, you post a picture being a DBAG because you disagree, and he's the jerk. Ok, gotcha. Nice hillbilly logic there.
                            No, the guy comes in to a UNH thread to dump on UNH fans, that's being a DBAG, no?

Comment

You're both being dbags. At least this Brown fan (wth?) had an opinion and argued his point. Rather than disagreeing and stating why you posted a picture and acted like a dink and then the BC fan starts and responds to your post and you start whining about how classless BC fans are. Sounds like you were just asking for it... but that's just me.

I personally hope we can get back to more important discussions like who is going to ring the cowbell next year, whether or not students care, and why Clark-Hislop-Cocks doesn't like to apologize.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                You're both being dbags. At least this Brown fan (wth?) had an opinion and argued his point. Rather than disagreeing and stating why you posted a picture and acted like a dink and then the BC fan starts and responds to your post and you start whining about how classless BC fans are. Sounds like you were just asking for it... but that's just me.

I personally hope we can get back to more important discussions like who is going to ring the cowbell next year, whether or not students care, and why Clark-Hislop-Cocks doesn't like to apologize.
                                Glad you're checking in on the UNH threads and care so much about how things are going up in Durham.

Not that I have to justify it to you, a BC fan in a UNH thread, but I did disagree, and posted responses earlier in the thread why I disagreed with him, and he kept posting the same thing over and over and even said 'if you ask me', which no one did.

Dink? Really? You're at least entertaining (most of the time), Slasher is just a DB in most of his posts.

The difference b/w BC fand and UNH fans (in a broad generalization); most UNH fans I've seen have, in some way or another, congratulated BC fans on their well deserved and impressive championship, while many BC fans continue to show their true colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X