Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

    Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    Sandbagger! Don't need to be classy towards Wisco fans, this is our thread

    Butler was ROBBED. In what area of the selection criteria was he lacking compared to Geffrion?

    In my mind, Butler was truly the most deserving player. And no, it's not just because he is a Wildcat Alum.
    I agree; Butler was hosed. Even with Kessel and Foster, this Cats team was the first not to win 20 games in over a decade, and without Butler they probably would not have won home ice for the HE post-season, for what that matters, let alone another trip to the NCAAs. Watching Butler's shot go right through the netting in Albany to rally the Cats back into the Cornell game was all that I needed to be convinced he was most deserving of the Hobey this year.

    But, what really bothers me is that apparently clean play no longer matters in the Hobey voting, as Geoffrion is a dirty player in my book. Good for the NHL maybe, but not for what the Hobey Baker should represent in my view.

    Comment


    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Geoffrion won because of three things - his team is the FF, Nyquist and Butler split the eastern (actually HE) vote, and his name is Geoffrion. I knew his dad was Danny, that his grandfather was Boom-Boom, the inventor of the slapshot, but to find out tonight that his grandfather is Howie Morenz, THE legend of the Canadiens (before the Rocket)! It was a slam dunk I'm afraid.

      I do want to say that Butler's father was fantastic in his interview. I got to know him some this past couple of years and, let me tell you, he is a coach before he is a dad. The night Bobby had a hat trick in the third period against Providence, after the game I congratulated him. His response, he played like (expletive deleted) in the first two periods. Knows the game, for sure.
      ..
      Bobby Butler, a true credit to UNH Hockey.
      Legacy is a Hobey Category??.. Now it makes a lot more sense- at least Blake lead in at least one of the categories.
      GSP.. Get Some!!

      Comment


      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Bob F. - You may have watched UNH at Snively back in the day, but if you defend Walshy at any level, you are not at a Wildcat. Walsh was pond scum to the nth degree. Forfeits, suspensions, disgrace, but the man is still revered at Alfond. Would this happen at any hockey program in the US.
        Greg, that is perhaps the biggest insult of all time!!!! Being confused as a...... WILDCAT ! Thought you knew me better than that! I'm a NH resident, and have a number of friends who are UNH alums, but I am a Black Bear proud member of the class of '83!

        Congrats to Bobby Butler on a great season!

        After watching R.I.T. play the other night my question for you is...How exactly did you lose to them?

        Comment


        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          Walsh was pond scum to the nth degree. Forfeits, suspensions, disgrace, but the man is still revered at Alfond. Would this happen at any hockey program in the US.
          Here we go again with the holier than thou stuffWhy don't you tell us what you really think The man's dead ferrchrissake. Can't you let him rest in peace
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

          Comment


          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

            Originally posted by BobF View Post
            Greg, that is perhaps the biggest insult of all time!!!! Being confused as a...... WILDCAT ! Thought you knew me better than that! I'm a NH resident, and have a number of friends who are UNH alums, but I am a Black Bear proud member of the class of '83!

            Congrats to Bobby Butler on a great season!

            After watching R.I.T. play the other night my question for you is...How exactly did you lose to them?
            Much like the way Miami lost to BC. Not ready to play. It happens. I remember BU losing to Lake State in the '94 final, 9-1.

            Comment


            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

              Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Here we go again with the holier than thou stuffWhy don't you tell us what you really think The man's dead ferrchrissake. Can't you let him rest in peace
              You're right. I have to let it go. Sorry. My opinion will never change, I just won't refer to it again, unless provoked.

              Comment


              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                You're right. I have to let it go. Sorry. My opinion will never change, I just won't refer to it again, unless provoked.
                OK. Well, at least you're entertaining. But not as entertaining as Chuck
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

                Comment


                • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                  Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Geoffrion is a dirty player in my book.
                  Sportsmanship, right? Kind of a big deal for the Hobey, right?

                  In the Wisco-VT game, I watched Geoff hit a VT guy hard into the boards. VT was slow to get up. Penalty called, Geoff skated to the box, where he was laughing. Laughing? After a player he hit was slow to get up. And VT doesn't milk it like some teams. That single view of Geoff was all I needed. I didn't know much about Wisco - only that they handed us our butts back in October. All of a sudden, I was a fan of Anyone-But-Geoffrion.

                  Sportsmanship. HAH.

                  Maybe I'm taking this too... I dunno, seriously? personally? But after he stood up to receive the award, I didn't even bother reading the CC (I was at a bar), I just ignored the TV the rest of the night. Didn't want to sign on the boards. Tried not to think about it, because it would only end in a huge rant.

                  I feel bad for Bobby. His team had two heartbreaking failures, and now this, despite overwhelming evidence that he was more deserving.

                  Congratulations, Geoffrion. I hope it sticks in your craw.

                  EDIT: Just thought of this: Geoff and Butler tied for fan votes? Now think of the voting base. Wisco, widely acknowledged the best fan base in hockey, and UNH, widely acknowledged (especially in this thread) as lacking. And they TIED. What does THAT say?
                  Last edited by WildKitty; 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM.
                  Originally posted by state of hockey
                  Tecate tonight. Haha!
                  Originally posted by state of hockey
                  Ugh. That was a bad idea.
                  Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

                  Comment


                  • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                    Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
                    Sportsmanship, right? Kind of a big deal for the Hobey, right?

                    In the Wisco-VT game, I watched Geoff hit a VT guy hard into the boards. VT was slow to get up. Penalty called, Geoff skated to the box, where he was laughing. Laughing? After a player he hit was slow to get up. And VT doesn't milk it like some teams. That single view of Geoff was all I needed.
                    Couldn't agree more. I saw that play, it was not a pretty sight and you are right, the VT guy ( I believe it was Stacey) was still in the ice and Geoff was yuking it up in the penalty box like he just scored a goal. That stuck in my mind for quite awhile afterwards.

                    The kid has talent but he is sorely lacking in his etiquette. At least feign some sort of concern.

                    I like Butler and Nyquist certainly had a case for the Hobey as well. Either of them were better candidates. If Wisco loses in the first round Geoff has no chance and that's sad, as it goes against the spirit of the Hobey.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

                    Comment


                    • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                      Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
                      Sportsmanship, right? Kind of a big deal for the Hobey, right?

                      In the Wisco-VT game, I watched Geoff hit a VT guy hard into the boards. VT was slow to get up. Penalty called, Geoff skated to the box, where he was laughing. Laughing? After a player he hit was slow to get up. And VT doesn't milk it like some teams. That single view of Geoff was all I needed. I didn't know much about Wisco - only that they handed us our butts back in October. All of a sudden, I was a fan of Anyone-But-Geoffrion.

                      Sportsmanship. HAH.
                      I feel the same way about his coach, and his coach's son Patrick. After watching Patrick speer Colin Hemingway in a corner at Lake Whitt out of view of the refs, I was not at all surprised when Patrick Eaves later ended the career of Joe Exter with a knee to the head. Typical Eagles tactic, no doubt endorsed by their coach. At least Patrick Eaves, Andrew Alberts, Brian Gionta and other BC "greats" were not awarded the Hobey (I was ok with Mike Mottau's Hobey in 2000, I think). The only irony for me is that this NC game is the same as in 2006, that is two coaches and teams that have no respect for sportsmanship are facing one another. Unfortunately, I can not root for either.

                      Comment


                      • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                        Hahahahahahahahaha. Hilarious. At least you guys won the RS trophy.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

                        Comment


                        • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                          Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          I feel the same way about his coach, and his coach's son Patrick. After watching Patrick speer Colin Hemingway in a corner at Lake Whitt out of view of the refs, I was not at all surprised when Patrick Eaves later ended the career of Joe Exter with a knee to the head. Typical Eagles tactic, no doubt endorsed by their coach. At least Patrick Eaves, Andrew Alberts, Brian Gionta and other BC "greats" were not awarded the Hobey (I was ok with Mike Mottau's Hobey in 2000, I think). The only irony for me is that this NC game is the same as in 2006, that is two coaches and teams that have no respect for sportsmanship are facing one another. Unfortunately, I can not root for either.
                          no doubt endorsed by their coach?? are you freaking kidding me? i didn't see the play and it doesn't matter, i don't doubt what you are saying but you are on an island by your lonesome, Snively65 with your opinion of York as "endorsing" a dirty play.That is the single most idiotic comment i have read, EVER on USCHO Fan Forum. enjoy the game tonight
                          *****

                          Comment


                          • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                            Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            Hahahahahahahahaha. Hilarious. At least you guys won the RS trophy.
                            Could have been yours, but your team couldn't stop a "crappy" UNH team from coming back in the penultimate game of the season.

                            Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                            no doubt endorsed by their coach?? are you freaking kidding me? i didn't see the play and it doesn't matter, i don't doubt what you are saying but you are on an island by your lonesome, Snively65 with your opinion of York as "endorsing" a dirty play.That is the single most idiotic comment i have read, EVER on USCHO Fan Forum.
                            PEaves was a dirty little punk, but I can't imagine any coach endorsing his style of play, at least, not without it being more widespread. BC (like most teams) have had an occasional hack/goon, but it's never typical of their style of play.
                            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                            -Fred Shero

                            Comment


                            • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                              penultimate game of the season for unh maybe. the rest of the country views game as that as tonight. same old...
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

                              Comment


                              • Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

                                Good to see troll season is in full swing

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X