Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

(Skating) cheerleaders.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox
      Plus a JumboTron = Increased Fan Excitement
      I had this thought, too. I also had this thought:

A lot of the buzz in the arena is chatter - no one can tell if the chatter is primarily about the game or about who did what on American Idol. What would happen if we used the big screen as a chatter-starter? Like, put up factoids about the team and their performance in the national field, little blurbs about the opposing team, like if an opponent played with one of our guys in the juniors or somthing. Little things, little Did You Know tidbits. Put up announcements about what to expect (and who) for the intermission activities. Use the big screen for the trivia, too: post the trivia question in the first and second periods and have fans submit answers and their names and place where they're sitting, then find them in the third.

We all know people are watching the big screen. Case in point: those ridiculous and ridiculously successful stick figures. Can we use it to help create chatter in the crowd and step up the energy?
      Originally posted by state of hockey
      Tecate tonight. Haha!
      Ugh. That was a bad idea.
      Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

BTW, one thing I've been meaning to say is: all of you older, non-student fans claiming that cheers should be led by students, and the older fans should step aside (and arguably not cheer), you obviously were not in Milwaukee in '06 when Wisconsin won. They do their "1-2, we want more!" cheer across the rink, and if the guy leading the cheer on our side of the ice was a student, he certainly wasn't "college-aged". And yet, he was just as enthused as anyone, and the crowd (including many college-aged fans around us), got just as into his cheering as anyone else's.

I guess my point is that this lack of atmosphere is not endemic to the student section, and though most cheering came from that end, it is ok, and necessary, for the rest of the arena to get off their hands once in a while. The arguments that "it's for students, not adults" is bunk, as is the argument that the STH's don't cheer because the students are "vulgar".
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

I once again offer the band, at least as a transition. That way everything will be led by the students, we can (attempt to) keep it clean, and you all can still have input. If a random group of students takes over, I don't know if they'd be receptive to suggestions from you guys, but I will be. I'm working on a "cheer bible" so that if I end up having cheer "captains" in the band, they have all of them in writing (I even notated Go Fight Win so they won't mess up the rhythm. Sigh.). I can share it so people can add to it if you want. It's already at 6 pages...

I have a final meeting scheduled with the band for this Monday, during which I'm planning to talk about some changes for next year. They're mostly logistical at this point (how we schedule personnel), but if we're going to make this change, I want to get them pumped up for it now so they can be thinking about it over the summer.

Another thought I had (this is just brainstorming again) was to open up one of our first pep band rehearsals to any new students who want to come learn the cheers. I'm planning to teach the cheers to the band this fall, but there's no reason why other people can't come join in, too. That's another place RAs could get their floors involved (I have a few RAs in the band who could pass the info onto their colleagues, for starters).

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
            this lack of atmosphere is not endemic to the student section, and though most cheering came from that end, it is ok, and necessary, for the rest of the arena to get off their hands once in a while. The arguments that "it's for students, not adults" is bunk, as is the argument that the STH's don't cheer because the students are "vulgar".
            Agreed.

Consider: only a percentage of tickets are released for students. Once the student tickets are gone, students are still welcome to buy tickets, but that usually deters any but the most diehard fans.

The day the Whitt is filled with students is the day I admit energy level is solely their responsibility.

That being said, students (particularly the band) are usually in a better position to help out the noise level. The same can be said of the Friends. However, we cannot discount the average season ticket holder (that's what STH means, in case it's taken anyone longer than it's taken me to figure out). We need to find our target audience here and adjust our tactics based on who they are. Targeting only students will only continue to widen the rift between some students and some STHs.

So two questions:
            What can we do to wake up the students
            What can we do to wake up the STHs

Okay, more questions, because I'm curious if the big screen idea could actually go somewhere. Does anybody know the Big Screen Guy? How hard is it to do last minute updates: is it code, or is there a graphic user interface?
            Tecate tonight. Haha!
            Ugh. That was a bad idea.
            Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
              BTW, one thing I've been meaning to say is: all of you older, non-student fans claiming that cheers should be led by students, and the older fans should step aside (and arguably not cheer), you obviously were not in Milwaukee in '06 when Wisconsin won. They do their "1-2, we want more!" cheer across the rink, and if the guy leading the cheer on our side of the ice was a student, he certainly wasn't "college-aged". And yet, he was just as enthused as anyone, and the crowd (including many college-aged fans around us), got just as into his cheering as anyone else's.

I guess my point is that this lack of atmosphere is not endemic to the student section, and though most cheering came from that end, it is ok, and necessary, for the rest of the arena to get off their hands once in a while. The arguments that "it's for students, not adults" is bunk, as is the argument that the STH's don't cheer because the students are "vulgar".
              ******* width="640" height="505">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfcDUxJAoDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfcDUxJAoDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">
              ******* width="640" height="505">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2J3XvhOQyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2J3XvhOQyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Laliberte View Post
                If you are not a student (or a recent alum), maybe you should step away from the front rows and let students take up the mantle on their own.
                If they are currently GA season ticket holders they would have to pay more for a worse view, comparable seats on the opposite side are now "reserved bench".
                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

While I agree that the student section has been run well in the past, i do think it is time for a transition period to take place. I enjoyed my time in the student section the last 5 years, but my time as a student is done. The problem with the section now is the lack of respect towards the Hosers. They are incredibly diehard fans, but most students just view them as the odd late 20's to early 30's who get to games at rediculous times. With the exception of a few students (namely george and myself) feww students follow the team very closely. Over the last couple years, we have had a couple very vocal students. Paul led our section, and as he left I took over. The students are getting more and more vulgar as the new students come in every year.

I don't know if the band is the way to go however.

With that you are making a select group of students , leaving out the vast majority. George and I have had talks at length about this. You need to open it up to all students. A pep really/ midnight madness at the whitt when the team opens up the season could be great. You could make a freshman event where the students learn the way the the university wants to be portrayed on a national spotlight.

The other arguement is that the UNH hockey games are a college atmosphere. Vulgarity is to be expected, and to not think you will see it is just dilusional. I personally liked going to UVM and Northeastern this year and hearing the students go nuts.

Comment

• Simple really ...

Originally posted by WildKitty View Post
                    So two questions:
                    What can we do to wake up the students
                    What can we do to wake up the STHs
                    Put a better quality on-ice product out there, and everything solves itself.

Let's give the students and STH's a little credit here ... gimmickry and high tech upgrades are only going to generate so much excitement, and most of that is going to be short-term stuff. And eventually, it still all reverts back to the quality of the product on the ice.

Look at it this way ... when they opened The Whitt back in '95, the building itself was the attraction for the first few years - everything was brand new, the teams were good but not great (including Umile's only losing season the year they opened the new facility), played wide-open offensive hockey, and it was a blast, and a different experience from Snively. After that it was the on-ice quality of the UNH program, which kept a buzz going through the best years of the program's history, including 4 FF trips and 2 finals appearances.

Nowadays, the building is no longer new ... and the program has fallen off just enough to register. I don't think it's fair to blame the students, or STH's or the band, or the zamboni or the economy, or whatever. JMHO.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                      The student sections cheers should be led by students. I agree that the status quo has led to no innovation. Unless, of course, you consider innovation stealing other schools cheers.
                      Very few of the cheers that preceded them were actually original. Newspapers, *clap* you suck, remote control goalie (skate, turn, tap, SQUAT!), ex-lax, winning team/losing team, etc. can be heard in other rinks. They have added numerous songs and cheers like "leaky and you know it", the alternate lyrics to "Hey Baby!", "Go Blue/Go White", "We're all behind you", etc. They also broke the monotony of "U-N-H! U-N-H!" with the addition of "Let's Go Cats!", "Go! Cats! Go!", and the re-introduction of "Let's Go Blue!".
                      Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Re: Simple really ...

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Nowadays, the building is no longer new ... and the program has fallen off just enough to register. I don't think it's fair to blame the students, or STH's or the band, or the zamboni or the economy, or whatever. JMHO.
                        Chucks, shhhhh, dey tink dey matture, merde.

Good ockey, et maybe dont running out of the clams chowdure alf way tru da seconde periode, eh, et we gonna be ok. Zee Rabbit promise.

Comment

• Re: Simple really ...

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                          Chucks, shhhhh, dey tink dey matture, merde.
                          And where did anyone say that? People want to see/hear the college atmosphere at the games again. Not sure what that has to do with "matture"-ing.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

• The REAL problem, at last

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                            ... et maybe dont running out of the clams chowdure alf way tru da seconde periode ...
                            I hate when that happens.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

about 5 years ago, a big jumbo tron screen that was capable of replays and such, went for 1.5 million....since we have no Alfond, King, or Eggleston, I don't see that happening soon.....

Comment

Building still gets loud when the team plays hard, takes the body, pushes the pace - exciting hockey.

Tada everybody stands and cheers - students & STH alike.

When they play flat-sloppy uninspiring hockey, there is a generally flat crowd.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X