Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Ban on Advertising?

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
    I remember the days when there was no advertising at the hockey rinks. Not on the boards or in the ice. Personally, I hate the ads; visual pollution. So I like the clean look at the NCAA events.

The first year Wisconsin moved from their old arena ("The Coliseum") to their new place ("The Kohl Center"), there were no ads on the boards. The move was controversial (the team was moving from a facility where they were top dog to one in which they were second fiddle to basketball). The story was (don't know if it was true) that a promise of no ads for the first year was a bargining chip to help get Coach Jeff Sauer to accept the move. Apparently, he hated ads too.
    In the 70's when the NHL played the Challenge Cup (i think that is what it was)... network tv would not follow the play to the top half of the ice---to avoid showing the ads which were brand new to hockey on the boards for the series

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
      And thats my point...why do they allow such freedom when their brand is so highly criticized (football).
      It's not "allowed." The NCAA touches FBS football as little as possible due to a little Supreme Court case in which the NCAA was found to be violating the Sherman Act. It almost killed the NCAA completely.

NCAA v. Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma 468 U.S. 85 (1984)

http://supreme.justia.com/us/468/85/
      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
      2006 Time Person of the Year
      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

The NCAA has "Corporate Partners" who pay to be associated with the NCAA (they don't get "field of play" venue advertising per say but they do get program ads, hospitaility opportunities and game tickets etc. The ad ban is really there to protect the NCAA brand and those sponsor associations. Local rink advertisers pay to be involved with the local team, and do not get NCAA privileges. If I am Enterprise Rent A Car (an NCAA corporate partner) who paid the NCAA a lot of money, I sure don't want to see a Hertz ad in the hockey rink at an NCAA event that I am paying for and that Hertz didn't pay for...etc.

For example, In the most recent Olympics, GM Place was even temporarily renamed "Canada Hockey Place" becuase GM is not an Olympic sponsor.

Brands are very valuable assets and need to be protected as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
          For example, In the most recent Olympics, GM Place was even temporarily renamed "Canada Hockey Place" becuase GM is not an Olympic sponsor.
          And the IOC does not allow corporate naming of event venues.
          UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
          2006 Time Person of the Year
          Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
          It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Working...
          X