Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    I am not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure they will be setting up bathroom facilities (nice ones, not porta-jons) behind the risers. I would assume there would be concessions available there as well. There are going to be more than 7,000 people in the risers and the logistics of them all having to move to the main concourse for these needs is virtually impossible.
    How would they do that? I don't think they had concessions or portable bathrooms for the Final Four last year or the regionals the year before. You would need to set up plumbing underneath the field for that. Keep in mind, they had a lot more people for the basketball events. It would be no different than sitting in the first or last row at Michigan Stadium. I would still have to walk up or down a lot of rows along with other people to go to the restroom or concession stand.

Comment

Compliments of the Detroit News:
      22 -- Degrees the ice surface temperature must be

60 -- Degrees the building must be for the ice surface to be running at maximum capacity

12 -- Hours it took for the floor to be in place with 16 people working Tuesday

10,000 -- Gallons of water needed to make an inch of ice. The Ford Field ice will be nearly 2 1/2 inches thick

2 -- Riser systems (portable stands) that will be used at Ford Field.

10 -- Rows of the riser system at the west side of the rink that'll be behind team benches and in front of the permanent seats (end zone) at Ford Field.

38 -- Rows of the riser system at the east end of the rink that will be located on the actual field (30-yard line to 30-yard line).

4,500 -- Seats for the two riser systems combined.

30,000 -- Tickets already sold. (Call (800) 745-3000 or go to Ticketmaster.com to purchase tickets.)

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100331/...#ixzz0jmB1T3zh
      MICHIGAN STATE
      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriors View Post
        How would they do that? I don't think they had concessions or portable bathrooms for the Final Four last year or the regionals the year before. You would need to set up plumbing underneath the field for that. Keep in mind, they had a lot more people for the basketball events. It would be no different than sitting in the first or last row at Michigan Stadium. I would still have to walk up or down a lot of rows along with other people to go to the restroom or concession stand.
        That setup connected the riser section aisles with the regular stadium aisles. With this setup they are completely separate. I am thinking they may use those large trucks with full restrooms in them, not the individual water-free things. Thats just a guess, I do not know any of their plans. But I do know that it takes 10 minutes to walk from the field all the way to the Men's room on the main concourse at Ford Field. There is no way this will be allowed.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

What I find amusing is how many fans want College Hockey to expand, and be more popular, but the instant they do something to take it a BIG step, it's against all traditions, and are now worried about atmosphere.

You want expansion, but smaller venues?

And the wish that this fails is weak, IMHO. That way, when we are all paying north of $200 for 3 games, and fewer and fewer casual fans can come see the game, that's better, right?

BTW, the SHIP HAS SAILED. This Frozen Four, which is being held NEXT WEEK, is indeed going to be played in a Football Stadium, and that football stadium is in DETROIT. Get over it already. Stop trying to talk ME into having a bad time- I'm planning on having fun, regarless that my team didn't make it, and that I'm in Detroit in Ford Field.

And I hope all the others who are coming plan on having fun, too.

Some of you "fans" kill me.

Comment

That setup connected the riser section aisles with the regular stadium aisles. With this setup they are completely separate.
            I think what it is going to boil down to is that if you are sitting higher up in the 'separate' risers 01 through 05, you may have slightly better viewing angle than the risers they are installing on the west side of the arena, but you may want to bring an extra O2 tank to go to the concourse. Like I said, 30+ rows down, 40+ rows up, one way...

I was kind of hoping that they would be connected with the regular stadium aisles as they were at the Final Four, but moving the rink to one end got rid of that...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              What I find amusing is how many fans want College Hockey to expand, and be more popular, but the instant they do something to take it a BIG step, it's against all traditions, and are now worried about atmosphere.

And the wish that this fails is weak, IMHO. That way, when we are all paying north of $200 for 3 games, and fewer and fewer casual fans can come see the game, that's better, right?

BTW, the SHIP HAS SAILED. This Frozen Four, which is being held NEXT WEEK, is indeed going to be played in a Football Stadium, and that football stadium is in DETROIT. Get over it already. Stop trying to talk ME into having a bad time- I'm planning on having fun, regarless that my team didn't make it, and that I'm in Detroit in Ford Field.

Well said.
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

it is an opportunity for regular joes to be introduced to college hockey, instead of us regulars who are there year after year. It is an opportunity to grow the sport.
                Point well taken.

Comment

Go have a good time in your home state with a short drive. Obviously this thing his happening, the point is I don't want this to be an every time situation. This is playoff hockey. Do you really expect that many casual fans in Detroit to go see 4 teams not from the immediate area 2 of which most casual sports fans probably no little to nothing about even if its $40 just to sit in the upper deck of Ford Field to watch a hockey game with binoculars that they could watch from home? The problem with this is removes a lot of the demand. 30k have been sold but how many people are now trying to sell their seats because their team didn't make it? Plus all the normal stuff where things came up and they can no longer go. 30k may have been sold but I highly doubt 30k show up, not to mention how many tickets will be available on the street outside. The Frozen Four has done very well in its current situation being held in NHL arenas. If this is a one time thing to try and add exposure to college hockey and give fans an opportunity to attend at a huge discount compared to normal prices, fine but I don't think this event should be held in a domed football stadium every year. It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers the NCAA has gotten over the years for applications for Frozen Four tickets. The only way I see a football stadium type situation making sense is if that demand is in the 40k range. I highly doubt that is true because there have almost always been face value tickets available weeks before the event or on the street. Now there are exceptions like when Wisconsin won in Milwaukee or when the event is here in St. Paul. /rant

As far as growing the sport...there are tons of opportunities for fans to attend games at a much cheaper price to see what its all about and probably do it with a much closer view of the game. In Detroit of all places, fans could have attended the conference tournament or maybe something like the GLI. Both are far cheaper and I highly doubt your $40 for the Frozen Four will get you better seats than $40 at the Joe would have gotten you for the CCHA championship or the GLI.
                  Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Hy is bigger better here? Because 12,000 fans who would normally be shut out of the frozen four will get to be a part of it. Because mom and dadand their two young hockey playing sons and their sister too will be able to see the games without breaking the bank. Because this will draw tons of national attention that the event would not otherwise get. Please tell what is wrong with any of these? I have a hard time finding a downside here. Many of the same complaints were leveled when they went from playing at Duluth and Colorado Springs to NHL arenas. How foolish that was!
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Go have a good time in your home state with a short drive. Obviously this thing his happening, the point is I don't want this to be an every time situation. This is playoff hockey. Do you really expect that many casual fans in Detroit to go see 4 teams not from the immediate area 2 of which most casual sports fans probably no little to nothing about even if its $40 just to sit in the upper deck of Ford Field to watch a hockey game with binoculars that they could watch from home? The problem with this is removes a lot of the demand. 30k have been sold but how many people are now trying to sell their seats because their team didn't make it? Plus all the normal stuff where things came up and they can no longer go. 30k may have been sold but I highly doubt 30k show up, not to mention how many tickets will be available on the street outside. The Frozen Four has done very well in its current situation being held in NHL arenas. If this is a one time thing to try and add exposure to college hockey and give fans an opportunity to attend at a huge discount compared to normal prices, fine but I don't think this event should be held in a domed football stadium every year. It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers the NCAA has gotten over the years for applications for Frozen Four tickets. The only way I see a football stadium type situation making sense is if that demand is in the 40k range. I highly doubt that is true because there have almost always been face value tickets available weeks before the event or on the street. Now there are exceptions like when Wisconsin won in Milwaukee or when the event is here in St. Paul. /rant

As far as growing the sport...there are tons of opportunities for fans to attend games at a much cheaper price to see what its all about and probably do it with a much closer view of the game. In Detroit of all places, fans could have attended the conference tournament or maybe something like the GLI. Both are far cheaper and I highly doubt your $40 for the Frozen Four will get you better seats than $40 at the Joe would have gotten you for the CCHA championship or the GLI.
                      I don't know if you've been paying attention, but for at least the next few years, the Frozen Four will not be held in a football stadium. So your precious romatic idea of playoff hockey will remain virgin pure....

Why should we even go to an NHL rink? Why not have it on campus??? Those are tons better for "purity" and "atmosphere". We haven't had either of those since Wisconsin, and was lucky to have Maine at Boston the last time (and a really good game). As it stands now, MOST of the fans at any typical Frozen Four are NOT fans of any of the teams. That, all by itself, takes the basic idea of atmosphere out. Maybe we need rules to limit the general admissions, and force more onto the particiapting teams??? Of course not, then those of us who go for the sake of going can't.

Yea, the CCHA championship would have been a better deal. But it's also not the same spectacle. When there's a regional at Auburn Hills for BB, it's not as good as the final 4 here last year.

Of course it's a gimmick- what's so evil about that? Just becuase the championship will be at FF, then there should be an asterics next to the champion?

As for the sightlines- I'd be willing ot bet that the highest seat at FF will only be a handful higher than at the Joe, but I'm sure you won't belive me if I say so from being there- you are right, no matter that you are not going to be there....

Ice quality- should we put another * next to Michigan's 1996 Championship, since the ice in Cincinnati was worse than bad, especially for the CC/Vermont semi? And it's not like ice quality is perfect at every NHL rink, either.

Everyone hopes that teams like Penn State, or other large schools wake up and join College Hockey- the ONLY way they will do that is if there's any decent money to be made. Part of that starts with high demand for tickets and TV for the championship. This is part of expanding college hockey.

Still, to wish this to fail?

Comment

The Frozen Four is always a hot ticket.
                        The only times the Frozen Four has been a "hot ticket" was in Boston in 1998 and St. Paul in 2002. Every other year, tickets were easily available to anyone who wanted them for less than face value. This year's will be the worst. Tickets will be literally given away for this by game time unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                          The only times the Frozen Four has been a "hot ticket" was in Boston in 1998 and St. Paul in 2002. Every other year, tickets were easily available to anyone who wanted them for less than face value. This year's will be the worst. Tickets will be literally given away for this by game time unfortunately.
                          Uh - Milwaukee, '06?
                          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                            Uh - Milwaukee, '06?
                            I'd include Milwaukee, but there were plenty of tickets availble on the street for the final, even with Wisco in it. The two I mentioned were the only ones where I noticed buyers outnumbering sellers. Regardless, I'll enjoy the event, but it'll be a bust.

Comment

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but for at least the next few years, the Frozen Four will not be held in a football stadium. So your precious romatic idea of playoff hockey will remain virgin pure....

Why should we even go to an NHL rink? Why not have it on campus??? Those are tons better for "purity" and "atmosphere". We haven't had either of those since Wisconsin, and was lucky to have Maine at Boston the last time (and a really good game). As it stands now, MOST of the fans at any typical Frozen Four are NOT fans of any of the teams. That, all by itself, takes the basic idea of atmosphere out. Maybe we need rules to limit the general admissions, and force more onto the particiapting teams??? Of course not, then those of us who go for the sake of going can't.

Yea, the CCHA championship would have been a better deal. But it's also not the same spectacle. When there's a regional at Auburn Hills for BB, it's not as good as the final 4 here last year.

Of course it's a gimmick- what's so evil about that? Just becuase the championship will be at FF, then there should be an asterics next to the champion?

As for the sightlines- I'd be willing ot bet that the highest seat at FF will only be a handful higher than at the Joe, but I'm sure you won't belive me if I say so from being there- you are right, no matter that you are not going to be there....

Ice quality- should we put another * next to Michigan's 1996 Championship, since the ice in Cincinnati was worse than bad, especially for the CC/Vermont semi? And it's not like ice quality is perfect at every NHL rink, either.

Everyone hopes that teams like Penn State, or other large schools wake up and join College Hockey- the ONLY way they will do that is if there's any decent money to be made. Part of that starts with high demand for tickets and TV for the championship. This is part of expanding college hockey.

Still, to wish this to fail?
                              How does the Penn State get a dime from having 30k at the Frozen Four instead of 18k? That money goes to the NCAA. IF there is higher demand for tickets than availability don't you think that increases the TV revenue? The reason the NFL makes so much money on their TV deal is because they have held back on expanding the schedule like baseball, basketball and the NHL have done. One of the reasons Red Sox TV broadcasts are so profitable is because only 37k can attend a game so everyone else has to watch at home and its much harder to get a ticket to any game.

As for your thinking I don't know that Ford Field is the only football stadium on the current list, I'm well aware of that but I have a feeling that if this is a huge success that the next round will include another football stadium and the round after that may require a capacity larger than any NHL arena. My precious romantic idea is shared by many many people and I'm not so sure you wouldn't be so defensive about this if i wasn't complaining about something happening in your economically depressed state of Michigan.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the original plan for For Field was to have the rink at the 50 yard line, but since the demand for the lottery was so low, they changed plans quickly. I'm glad they made that change and maybe that change will allow this Frozen Four to come off very well. For those attending I hope so.

I will be very interested to see what kind of national attention this spectacle actually brings to the sport. I'm not so sure it will bring any more attention than Bemidji State making the Frozen Four did last year. Someone asked if I would be opposed to an outdoor game at TCF Bank, the answer is no but we're not talking about the national championship. I might even attend if the price or opponent was right. I think the outdoor game on new years day by the NHL is wonderful because of all the attention it draws to the sport and the fact that it seems like more people are interested in that game than the crappy bowl games that are still on new years day. Those are totally different beasts from having the championship game played in a football stadium. Maybe the next time the Red Wings make the stanley cup finals, you should suggest that the games be played at Ford Field so more people can go and experience the magic that is a stanley cup finals...sound like a good idea?
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
                                Thanks STATEdude3, that would make more sense.
                                looks like its gonna be a long walk to the locker rooms for both teams..

Comment

Working...
                                X