Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    BTW, there are a lot of interesting tours of Detroit that leave from near downtown. The most interesting( to me at least) is a tour of old homes and significant buildings.These have to be booked ahead of time but they are easy to find and fun to do. Detroit is over 300 years old so there are lots of history type things. You can tour on a segway if you want to and there is a bar tour too!
    Segways are perfect for bar tours because you can't fall off them
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

The NCAA has for some weeks now, been involved in a test program in secret laboratories around the world to find a way to alleviate hockey fans' fears about sight lines at increasingly more frequent outdoor games and other large venues. As the Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit draws near, the test schedule was upped to 24/7.

The following photos were leaked by the NCAA in an attempt to allay fan's worries and accelerate ticket sales now that the four teams have been determined.

In the first photo, taken with a clandestine iPhone, shows intensive goalie testing of the new "large venue" net that will make its debut at the Frozen Four.

*****http://www.canadabandy.ca/images/photos/feb_07/image8.jpg******

Somewhat later, they made the decision to test the new nets with shooters.

*****http://www.sibscana.ru/img/media/2/271main.jpg******

Since the NCAA has always found officiating to be problematic in playoff games, they took the opportunity to "restripe" the on-ice officials. Shown below is an unnamed CHA referee who has been involved with testing the new gear since the CHA Conference Finals in the NCAA's outdoor test facility in northern Scandinavia.

*****http://bandynet.ru/files/imagecache/inline_images/mimages/20100328-zody.jpg******

Once the installation of the 2010 Frozen Four rink began, testing has been moved into Ford Field. In another show of good faith to regular Frozen Four attendees who complain about the repetitive NCAA promotional videos during the innumerable TV timeouts, the FFFF will feature live speedskating not only during timeout and intermissions in lieu of the videos, but the playing of the games as well.

*****http://www.bandyforbundet.no/bandy/bilder/bandytrening.jpg******

The NCAA is expected early next week to announce ticket price increases for the remaining FFFF tickets in order to offset the costs of its crash research program.
      Last edited by Lord of the Rinks; 04-03-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Don't forget the Detroit Historical Museum across the street from the DIA. It has a special on 5 great Detroit coaches including Scotty Bowman. Maybe you've heard of him.
        He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

The Plymouth (Detroit suburb) Whalers are playing the Windsor Spitfires in the playoffs next week. Their series (best of 7) plays Thursday/Saturday...that's too bad because there is some excellent hockey played by these two clubs.

And yes, the. Detroit Historical Museum is really cool, even if you know nothing about Detroit. They have part of an automobile factory in there too! Lol
          MICHIGAN STATE
          1966:1986:2007

Comment

Ok I've read 6 pages of pro's and con's of having the Frozen Four at Ford Field. I've already accepted that this years Frozen Four is an experiment, and I'll reserve judgement until April 12th.
            I've read several people say how having the Frozen Four at Ford Field will help expand college hockey because its in a large facility. Also someone mentioned about the Frozen Four being held in 15K seat arena's isn't good, I don't disagree with this but I think the last time the Frozen Four was in a facility that small was 2001 in Albany or 2000 in Providence.
            My question is how will this help expand college hockey? Let's take University of Illinois for example. Uof Illinois has a club team that plays at the top club division. How will this years Frozen Four help Illinois move its club team to the D1 level? I don't see the Uof Illinois AD saying hey look they had 30K fans at Ford Field lets start a hockey program.

D1 Hockey vacuum of SoCal

Comment

My question is how will this help expand college hockey? Let's take University of Illinois for example. Uof Illinois has a club team that plays at the top club division. How will this years Frozen Four help Illinois move its club team to the D1 level? I don't see the Uof Illinois AD saying hey look they had 30K fans at Ford Field lets start a hockey program.
              Thats been my point the entire time. Seems like a "stunt" to me designed to generate publicity and stats ("look how many (cheap and badly located) seats we've sold!").

The big question is how does holding the FF in a non-traditional (i.e. a location that doesn't have college hockey in existence, or in a venue like a football field) going to help it "expand"? I think it's just something they're trying as an experiment, but it will fail completely to do so in either case.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                Thats been my point the entire time. Seems like a "stunt" to me designed to generate publicity and stats ("look how many (cheap and badly located) seats we've sold!").

The big question is how does holding the FF in a non-traditional (i.e. a location that doesn't have college hockey in existence, or in a venue like a football field) going to help it "expand"? I think it's just something they're trying as an experiment, but it will fail completely to do so in either case.
                Obviously, I am biased, but I think that last year's FF in DC was a success, and DC doesn't have a college hockey team. In the long run, it will help college hockey expand, perhaps not in getting new teams but in getting kids interested in playing.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Obviously, I am biased, but I think that last year's FF in DC was a success, and DC doesn't have a college hockey team. In the long run, it will help college hockey expand, perhaps not in getting new teams but in getting kids interested in playing.
                  As an example - here's a quick quiz. Name the only regional sports channel to pick up every NCAA Regional game available for syndication?

The answer? MASN - the channel for DC, Baltimore and the like. What are the chances they would have done that if they didn't have the FF last year, and or want the FF again down the line? Now, I watched MASN on Dish, but think of the odd kid in DC who thinks hockey is neat, and just happened to tune in for that 2ot SCSU/NMU game and get hooked.

Not that this has anything to do with playing in a football stadium...
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    It's not just about adding new teams...before you can do that you have to grow the number of fans that are following the games in the current markets. By opening the Frozen Four to more casual sports fans at a reasonable price you increase the chances of drawing their attention as a full-time fan. In doing this you produce revenue for the sport and THAT gives the incentive down the line for new teams to join. It's not something that can be measured in a short time frame, but over many years.

Think about it...50 years ago there were MAYBE 6,000 people at the national championship games? Over time that number began to expand. Now we regularly see 18,000 for the Frozen Four. It is something like this that will help grow the sport starting with fans and then down the line maybe help create new programs.
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                      It's not just about adding new teams...before you can do that you have to grow the number of fans that are following the games in the current markets. By opening the Frozen Four to more casual sports fans at a reasonable price you increase the chances of drawing their attention as a full-time fan. In doing this you produce revenue for the sport and THAT gives the incentive down the line for new teams to join. It's not something that can be measured in a short time frame, but over many years.

Think about it...50 years ago there were MAYBE 6,000 people at the national championship games? Over time that number began to expand. Now we regularly see 18,000 for the Frozen Four. It is something like this that will help grow the sport starting with fans and then down the line maybe help create new programs.
                      Actually I went to the FF at Lake Placid which was about 40 years ago. The arena was a real old barn which seated about 3000, of which about 2000 were sold I believe. This was the Ken Dryden era too.
                      Anyone who wanted to could walk up and buy a ticket the day of the event. This was with Clarkson in the FF which is located nearby. There were loads of freebies given away as well. Not the same now.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JD Doe View Post
                        On the contrary, it's going to be a short walk to the locker rooms.

If you look at that picture, the locker rooms are in the tunnel to the lower left of the picture.

And I guess I am ok with the walk that may be ahead of us sitting higher up in Risers 01 through 05 to get down and back up to the concourse... regardless, the place is going to be sweet, and it will be a good, good time!
                        it is still a long walk.. i believe there were complaints by many players during the ncaa bball final 4 at Ford Field with the distance from the court to the locker rooms and also the fact they have to go up a minihill as they walk back to the locker room..not that anyone should complain since most teams wish they were at the final four, but nonetheless, the complaints were made..

Comment

Originally posted by RIT4life View Post
                          it is still a long walk.. i believe there were complaints by many players during the ncaa bball final 4 at Ford Field with the distance from the court to the locker rooms and also the fact they have to go up a minihill as they walk back to the locker room..not that anyone should complain since most teams wish they were at the final four, but nonetheless, the complaints were made..
                          Here is the secret to that tunnel...there is an incline of about 40 degrees just underneath the stands. It's not a short ramp either. After playing a brutal 20 minutes of hockey they will have to work even harder to get to their locker room!
                          MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Here is the secret to that tunnel...there is an incline of about 40 degrees just underneath the stands. It's not a short ramp either. After playing a brutal 20 minutes of hockey they will have to work even harder to get to their locker room!
                            my point exactly

Comment

After playing a brutal 20 minutes of hockey they will have to work even harder to get to their locker room!
                              They should take it easy out on the ice so that they don't suffer on the way back to the lockers!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                              Northeast Regional:
                              West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Wow 40 degree incline... I don't remember that big of an incline when we toured the locker rooms. Could be though, we only did it once, and it was after having a few at the Elwood.

Well the good new I guess, is that when they finally do get to the locker room and rest between periods, it's all downhill to get back to the ice...

Better then going uphill back to the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X