Ford Field Rink Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

In my opinion, everyone who paid $189 for a seat in the risers was absolutely swindled. The view was terrible due to the shallow pitch. A tall guy sitting several rows in front of you could easily obstruct your view of a significant portion of the ice. Also, the acoustics were non-existent. It was like we weren't even at the game. Every once in a while we heard a muffled chant from across the chasm in the student sections. And it was impossible to make out what anyone was saying over the loudspeakers...much like a football game. Knowing it was at a football stadium, I didn't expect the quality experience you get at a real (nhl or college) hockey arena, but I thought the huge number of attendees would help make up for it. Not even close.

We ended up moving to some empty lower-section permanent seats after the first game. The view wasn't too bad from there, but it still didn't come close to the kind of experience you get at a hockey arena. I was cautiously optimistic coming in, but there is no way I will ever again shell out that kind of cash to see hockey at a football stadium. Not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Over? Did you say it's over?!?!
      Did the Wisco State Journal (or whatever paper/media outlet) leak another story proclaiming the Badgers National Champions?

Of course, they did get Geoffrion correct
      Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
      Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

I spent the first period of the first game in my seat (RS2 R5 S10) - moved at intermission and moved around the lower bowl, but never got close to anything resembling a decent seat.

You know what this feels like? When you go to a big tournament and its like the 10th game or whatever and only the fans of the teams playing care whats going on. No atmosphere.

Also, Friday night I went to a Flint Generals game. That was good - number of college kids on both teams. Played Port Huron. Got picked to shoot at the second intermission - they made us use FOAM pucks - I couldn't keep it below the net! The other guy had never touched a hockey stick before and he beat me!
        Originally posted by Boot_Jim_Roque
        Who cares if Hobbins plays. That dude hardly knows how to skate!

Comment

Anyone know what tickets are going for on the street for tonight's championship game?

Want to go, but not willing to shell out too much since I have no local rooting interest. Don't want to make the drive and have tickets be a lot more than I expected.

Smart thing would have been to pick up some tickets from a losing fan after Thursday's game...

Comment

Are you saying ticketmaster doesn't have the $10 variety available? That this is a sell out?!?!?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Are you saying ticketmaster doesn't have the $10 variety available? That this is a sell out?!?!?
              They do, but the fees from Ticketmaster make the tickets cost about $70.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Friends of mine just got tickets for 20 each from the box office.
                MICHIGAN STATE
                1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                  Friends of mine just got tickets for 20 each from the box office.
                  I just called and they said the cheapest they had was $39.50, which is also what they told me yesterday. Kind of frustrating that they're not being consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlue17 View Post
                    I just called and they said the cheapest they had was $39.50, which is also what they told me yesterday. Kind of frustrating that they're not being consistent.
                    According to Ticketmaster they're sold out of $20 seats. The $20 option is there but it says all seats are gone when you try and select any.
                    time to write new history

Comment

I thought they went to the box office...must have been on the street. Sorry
                      MICHIGAN STATE
                      1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Over? Did you say it's over?!?!
                        Ooops. I'll be glad when this is over.

Comment

Gary Thorne has said three times in the first hour of the championship game "the Frozen Four should be played in a hockey rink, not on a football field." He also said the ice is as good as it can be but "it's not like playing in a hockey rink."

When you've got the lead ESPN guy saying it repeatedly, I'm guessing the conditions are probably worse than they're letting on.

Comment

They had 37,000 in the house for the title game, and it looked much better than the semis did in terms of TV.

That said, noise levels seemed low, and three blowout games did not help.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                              Gary Thorne has said three times in the first hour of the championship game "the Frozen Four should be played in a hockey rink, not on a football field." He also said the ice is as good as it can be but "it's not like playing in a hockey rink."

When you've got the lead ESPN guy saying it repeatedly, I'm guessing the conditions are probably worse than they're letting on.
                              I've read some comments here and there about the ice being OK and better than people feared it would be, but I have to say the conditions of it were far less than ideal. I think some tried to spin it a little more positively than it actually was. I think it it certainly something that could be corrected, but as has been said before also, the 3 most important games of the season are not the place to experiment. You need to get it right for this weekend from the first faceoff to the final horn.

I did find the crowd pretty impressive today. My guess is the official attendance is not a stretch of the truth by any large margin. It looked quite full, and plenty of people were bleeding about as far passed the corners you could have and not have your view blocked by the riser sections. On that front, I think this FF is a success (72,000 tickets sold/scanned for the two days is impressive), but the atmosphere on Thursday, the ice for pretty much most of the three games, and the bad view too many fans apparently had put up with make me hope this isn't tried again.
                              Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Aside from the now-notorious risers, can anyone say that it was a failure after tonight? The place was packed and the atmosphere was far better than Thursday. Too bad Wisconsin didn't get at least one goal because the Badger fans outnumbered BC fans by about 8 to 1 and the place would have exploded.

Comment

Working...
                                X