Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bemidji State offseason, WCHA, BREC here we come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bemidji State offseason, WCHA, BREC here we come!

Here is the latest video tour of the BREC from the Bemidji Pioneer:

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/.../id/100018402/
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

It looks like ECHL Reading got back most of their key players- including Matt Dalton- for a Kelly Cup playoff run.

By Jimmy Johnson
      Reading Eagle

Reading goalie Matt Dalton has been outstanding during the playoffs in leading the Royals to seven straight victories.
      Fortunately for Matt Dalton, it's not a federal crime to steal a game and cross state lines with the loot.

Dalton made 45 saves in a 3-1 Game 2 win to allow the Reading Royals to get on a bus and drive nine hours home from Cincinnati with a 2-0 series lead on the Cyclones.

"I think he single-handedly won us that game," Reading coach Larry Courville said. "He made the saves on opportunities when they should have scored. He stole us that game."

And with that win, the rookie netminder's 30th this season, he is two away from leading Reading to its first Kelly Cup final in franchise history.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=217400
      GO PURPS!
      Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
        It looks like ECHL Reading got back most of their key players- including Matt Dalton- for a Kelly Cup playoff run.
        Dalton sure is turning away A LOT of shots in those games. Who needs D-men?????

Also, Rapid City is one win away from capturing the CHL Title. Brendon Cook, Blaine Jarvis, Cody Bostock, Riley Weselowski and Luke Erickson are all there, and Cook has been on a tear against the Allen Americans in the Championship.
        Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Another article on "Dalts":

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/0...m-bumpy-floor/
          Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

And now one on Brendan Cook:

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/p...rticle_id=4631
            Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

great to see a school like Bemidji joining the WCHA - let the (newfound) rivalries begin!!

i loved heading up the International Hockey Tournaments up there and hockey camps, too! they were so much fun. i remember the few years i was up there the Russian teams pwned!!

anywho, about the stadium, how checked the BSU hockey website and it looks like it's going to be a pretty sweet arena. however, i thought it would have been upwards of 10,000 seats or so...?
              pssst...take a look at your team...i think it has Minnesotans on it.

Comment

Brendan Cook, Blaine Jarvis, Cody Bostock, Riley Weselowski and injured Luke Erickson won the CHL Championship last night with a 4-3, 2OT, win over the Allen Americans. Cook and Jarvis each had goals, and for 5-hole, former Purple Eagle Les Reaney, was named playoff MVP.
                Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by GO-4-EXCELLENCE View Post
                  anywho, about the stadium, how checked the BSU hockey website and it looks like it's going to be a pretty sweet arena. however, i thought it would have been upwards of 10,000 seats or so...?
                  You do realize how big Bemidji is, right?
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing Better to have a full arena with a waiting list of people, than a half full arena and no one waiting to get in.

IIRC, 4500 to 4700 seats would be around 10% of the population of the "economic region". I could be wrong on that though, but that seems to be sticking in my mind.
                    Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by GO-4-EXCELLENCE View Post
                      anywho, about the stadium ... however, i thought it would have been upwards of 10,000 seats or so...?
                      The rink is going to push 5000 seats from what I hear.
                      Officially, the city of Bemidji is at 13,059. However, you also need to realize how small the city limits are compared to how big the "Bemidji area" is. As an example, I live about half a mile north of the BSU campus, and the city limits are a block further north. There are currently several collar townships that have between 500 and 4500 resedents each. You can safely put the "Bemidji area" as approching a population of 30,000 (heck, two of them - Bemidji township and Northern township - total 7500 alone. Grant Valley, Frohn, Turtle River and Eckles townships are another 4700). Bemidji has chosen to not be a Hibbing type-town (ever been there? You see the city limits sign ~ 5 miles out), but rather a small core of the community (although there is a plan to annex (PDF) several parts of these townships in the next 10 years).

Then you can throw in what is considered the "Bemidji reatil sales area," (80 miles out) and you're up to 80,000 (and before someone says, "no one comes from 80 miles to Bemidji," I can't tell you how many times I've been at the mall on the weekend and seen Warroad, Roseau, Northome, Cass Lake-Bena or Laporte, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley and the like HS letter jackets).

Just commenting because most folks see the 13,000 on the sign and assume that's all that is in the area...
                      Last edited by moose97; 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM.
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Thanks for the numbers Moose! Looks like my mind was a little fuzzy....
                        Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          Officially, the city of Bemidji is at 13,059. However, you also need to realize how small the city limits are compared to how big the "Bemidji area" is. As an example, I live about half a mile north of the BSU campus, and the city limits are a block further north. There are currently several collar townships that have between 500 and 4500 resedents each. You can safely put the "Bemidji area" as approching a population of 30,000 (heck, two of them - Bemidji township and Northern township - total 7500 alone. Grant Valley, Frohn Turtle River and Eckles townships are another 4700). Bemidji has chosen to not be a Hibbing type-town (ever been there? You see the city limits sign ~ 5 miles out), but rather a small core of the community (although there is a plan to annex (PDF) several parts of these townships in the next 10 years).

Then you can throw in what is considered the "Bemidji reatil sales area," (80 miles out) and you're up to 80,000 (and before someone says, "no one comes from 80 miles to Bemidji," I can't tell you how many times I've been at the mall on the weekend and seen Warroad, Roseau, Northome, Cass Lake-Bena or Laporte, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley and the like HS letter jackets).

Just commenting because most folks see the 13,000 on the sign and assume that's all that is in the area...
                          To amplify: Bemidji is in southern Beltrami County. Let's give the benefit of the doubt that Bemidji's influence stretches to Clearwater County and Hubbard County, which are southwest and south of Beltrami, respectively. Combine those numbers as of the 2000 Census, and you get 66,449.

GFM <-- pretty good with Wikipedia.
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

In BSU Recruit news:

Bismarck 5, St. Louis 3. BSU Defenseman recruit Sam Rendle with the hat trick.

http://nahl.stats.pointstreak.com/bo...gameid=1238387

Traverse City 5, Wenatchee 4. BSU forward recruit Jeff Jubinville, who was named an All NAHL forward, had an assist while defenseman recruit Kyle Brodie was kept off the scoreboard.

http://nahl.stats.pointstreak.com/bo...gameid=1238388

Bismarck 1-0
                            Traverse City 1-0
                            Fairbanks 0-0
                            Wenatchee 0-1
                            St. Louis 0-1

The Robertson Cup is a round robin tournament between five teams with the top two teams playing for the title at the end of the round robin. Each team gets one off day during the tournament.
                            Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                              The rink is going to push 5000 seats from what I hear.

Officially, the city of Bemidji is at 13,059. However, you also need to realize how small the city limits are compared to how big the "Bemidji area" is. As an example, I live about half a mile north of the BSU campus, and the city limits are a block further north. There are currently several collar townships that have between 500 and 4500 resedents each. You can safely put the "Bemidji area" as approching a population of 30,000 (heck, two of them - Bemidji township and Northern township - total 7500 alone. Grant Valley, Frohn Turtle River and Eckles townships are another 4700). Bemidji has chosen to not be a Hibbing type-town (ever been there? You see the city limits sign ~ 5 miles out), but rather a small core of the community (although there is a plan to annex (PDF) several parts of these townships in the next 10 years).

And with all of the population, a 10,000 seat arena like was mentioned earlier, would still be overkill. I think Bemidji is building an arena that is the perfect size for the school, community and general area. There was no reason to make it bigger than what they did.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And with all of the population, a 10,000 seat arena like was mentioned earlier, would still be overkill. I think Bemidji is building an arena that is the perfect size for the school, community and general area. There was no reason to make it bigger than what they did.
                                And I didn't mean to imply that a 10,000 seater would be a good idea. Just trying to clarify the actual population in the area...
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass
                                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                                X