Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Did the officials screw up

Bottom line is this:

If the whistle on Michigan's OT goal was correct because the ref couldn't see the puck, then the non-whistle on Miami's second goal, when the puck was clearly covered by Hunwick and in NO WAY visible, was an awful non-call.

If the non-whistle on Miami's second goal was correct, then there is no way the play should have been called dead on Michigan's OT goal.

Either way, Michigan got robbed by a ref named Piotrowski again, as has been the habit of that family of officials for as long as I can remember.

Red is right to call for an official explanation from the NCAA. That crew screwed them in both the Miami and the Bemidji games.

It sucks for me that Michigan lost, but I'd be a lot less upset if what was otherwise a GREAT game against Miami had been decided by the skill of the players and not the incompetence of the officiating crew.

Comment

Originally posted by FrickerIsQuicker View Post
      Bottom line is this:

If the whistle on Michigan's OT goal was correct because the ref couldn't see the puck, then the non-whistle on Miami's second goal, when the puck was clearly covered by Hunwick and in NO WAY visible, was an awful non-call.

If the non-whistle on Miami's second goal was correct, then there is no way the play should have been called dead on Michigan's OT goal.

Either way, Michigan got robbed by a ref named Piotrowski again, as has been the habit of that family of officials for as long as I can remember.

Red is right to call for an official explanation from the NCAA. That crew screwed them in both the Miami and the Bemidji games.

It sucks for me that Michigan lost, but I'd be a lot less upset if what was otherwise a GREAT game against Miami had been decided by the skill of the players and not the incompetence of the officiating crew.
      The difference is that in one situation there was a delayed penalty...sorry but I disagree with you.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

You all have fun with this! My Last Words Promise concerning the SUBJECT! LET IT GO! It's Over! Your not going to Win! Crap Happens! SORRY! One Play does not make 60 minutes of Hockey! If your not a REF at the D-1 Level Get out of the Lazy Boy and Change the way it is done! Be Part of the Solution!

Hope I did not take away your B-tch Card. Oh Look it's Spring! Please stop complaining and go fishing.

Good Nite all!
        "Coach" Coach" I need a shift off I got no legs! No kidding your official hockey name just changed from Drill Killer to Minus 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          The difference is that in one situation there was a delayed penalty...sorry but I disagree with you.
          It's irrelevant- Miami didn't control the puck and their goalie didn't have it covered. It was loose in the crease. The ref blew the whistle either because he couldn't see it or he presumed it was covered.

Again, I don't mind the whistle, but I do mind when it isn't blown both ways/consistently.

Comment

I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that Michigan didn't get screwed there. After the fact, and on the review, the referees made the correct call. The whistle had blown before the puck went in. But the whistle shouldn't have blown.
            I had wanted Miami to win all game long, but after that play I was pulling for Michigan, just because that was pretty ****ty. If I were a Michigan fan I would have been very ****ed.
            But what are ya gonna do? That's the way it went, and that's sports. You can either **** and moan about it, or move on and applaud your guys for a tremendous run at the end of the year. The Wolverine faithful should be very proud of what their team accomplished after the season they were having. IMO, that's a better place to put the focus.

Comment

The puck was under the goalies pads.....that is control.....case closed

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                The puck was under the goalies pads.....that is control.....case closed
                I'm sure their complaint is that Miami scored a goal by poking it out from under the goalies pads and therefore the game was not called the same both ways but to me personally I think the difference is that in one situation there was a delayed penalty and that the whistle was quicker because of that.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I think the difference is that in one situation there was a delayed penalty and that the whistle was quicker because of that.
                  Ding ding.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    I broadcast a lot of hockey on the radio, and used to get very upset when an official would blow the play dead when the puck was still loose. However, a few years ago, after talking to several officials about it, their response was, paraphrasing, "hey, if we can't see the puck, we can't see the puck!" Ever since, I've defended officials on quick/bad whistles where they are even slightly out of position. And I don't even think the referee was out of position, or had a quick whistle here. Just 2ยข from an unbiased observer.
                    This is absolutely correct. The official was in the correct spot for the play, and it just happened to be one of those fluke times where he could not see the puck. As the low official, it is his first and foremost duty to watch the puck, and call penalties second. If the man who has the absolute best look at the goal cannot see the puck, please explain why he would not blow the whistle. This official was in exactly the right spot, as he was trained and should be, and made exactly the right call of no goal. If the man whos primary duty is to watch the puck - can no longer see the puck, what is he supposed to do then? Attempting to continue play without being able to see the puck would lead to even more outrageous scenarios, far worse than this one. With no one bothering to watch or care where the puck is, a goalie pulls a goal out of the net in his glove and claims he caught it? A puck gets lodged inside of a players glove, and gets thrown into the net Or it gets hand passed to another offensive player and scores? Was it a hand pass? Who cares, sight of the puck doesnt matter? A player, covering the puck with his body laid flat on the ice, is half way into the goal and half way out, which side of the body is the puck on? These are even worse scenarios than a simple calling play dead.

Also to credit, the referee attempted to make himself in even better position than trained and required a bit later in the over time, as play went behind the net he followed, but when it came back the other way behind him quickly, he literally jumped onto the back of the goal net so he could get the best view of the scrum in front of the goalie at the corner of the net, as not even the ref wants to make the wrong call in overtime. The officials made the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by nudgy_olsen View Post
                      This is absolutely correct. The official was in the correct spot for the play, and it just happened to be one of those fluke times where he could not see the puck. As the low official, it is his first and foremost duty to watch the puck, and call penalties second. If the man who has the absolute best look at the goal cannot see the puck, please explain why he would not blow the whistle. This official was in exactly the right spot, as he was trained and should be, and made exactly the right call of no goal. If the man whos primary duty is to watch the puck - can no longer see the puck, what is he supposed to do then? Attempting to continue play without being able to see the puck would lead to even more outrageous scenarios, far worse than this one. With no one bothering to watch or care where the puck is, a goalie pulls a goal out of the net in his glove and claims he caught it? A puck gets lodged inside of a players glove, and gets thrown into the net Or it gets hand passed to another offensive player and scores? Was it a hand pass? Who cares, sight of the puck doesnt matter? A player, covering the puck with his body laid flat on the ice, is half way into the goal and half way out, which side of the body is the puck on? These are even worse scenarios than a simple calling play dead.

Also to credit, the referee attempted to make himself in even better position than trained and required a bit later in the over time, as play went behind the net he followed, but when it came back the other way behind him quickly, he literally jumped onto the back of the goal net so he could get the best view of the scrum in front of the goalie at the corner of the net, as not even the ref wants to make the wrong call in overtime. The officials made the right call.
                      What a bunch of blue crybabies. Please don't tell me that the mighty U of M athletic department, far too arrogant for the home of two 7th place teams, an 8th place squad and a 10th place team in the realms of hockey, basketball and football, has never caught a break from the stripes. Like they've never scored a PPG during a penalty because of a horse **** call against the other team. Heck, you caught a break from the committee when you got bumped to Ft Wayne and played Bemidji instead of North Dakota in the first round, for "attendance" purposes, and then you barely made a dent at the turnstiles 2 1/2 hours from Yost. Here's the funny thing, if the big blue goalie has the puck trapped, the ref doesn't immediately blow it dead and an opponent keeps whacking at the puck til the whistle blows you want a penalty there. Hang the crying towels out to dry. You got beat on what you feel was a questionable call. You've won plenty of games that way too.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 04-02-2010, 07:05 AM.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by FrickerIsQuicker View Post
                        Either way, Michigan got robbed by a ref named Piotrowski again
                        You've just shown exactly how much you know with this statement. Piotrowski had nothing to do with the call. None of the officials at that game were from the CCHA. They were from out east. Brilliant!!!
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                        X