Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage1.jpg******

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage2.jpg******

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage3.jpg******
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That area clown totally stole FL's idea!

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11 View Post
        .....one thing i didn't like in miracle (probably the only thing) was when they referred to that '76 fight and o'callahan says he wanted to win a national championship in college..... HE DID IN '78 and was the m.o.p. of the frozen four!!!!
        Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        In the movie, he said it cost him a ring. Sure, he won a ring in 78, but it still cost him the ring.
        Also, he refers to McClanahan being involved - Mac wasn't playing for Minnesota yet (played the following 3 seasons). I suppose that could explain the character in the movie being a little confused by O'Callahan's hostility, but I think it's more that they altered the story a bit to use it as a quick explanation of the hostilities.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
          Also, he refers to McClanahan being involved - Mac wasn't playing for Minnesota yet (played the following 3 seasons). I suppose that could explain the character in the movie being a little confused by O'Callahan's hostility, but I think it's more that they altered the story a bit to use it as a quick explanation of the hostilities.
          yes, it was all for the movie. i believe you will even see special thanks in the credits for OC because they had him alter the truth so such a degree. (they implied that Mac was known to the BU guys early when they were in the bar talking about the test Herbie had given them and Mac and Rizzo waved to each other - which prompted OC's rant).

there was also no run-in, fight between OC and Mac during practice (my wife asked OC that when we saw him right after the movie came out. )
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            (they implied that Mac was known to the BU guys early when they were in the bar talking about the test Herbie had given them and Mac and Rizzo waved to each other - which prompted OC's rant)
            One of my favorite scenes, though mostly for Ralph Cox's answers/attitude.
            Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
            -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
              Semis at Meehan in the sixties.
              That's the first NCAA Frozen Four I attended. It was the conclusion of the 1964-1965 season and Meehan Auditorium had opened two years earlier. Michigan Tech took no prisoners in either game as they shut out Brown and decimated BC 8-2 in the title game. The Huskies had two exceptional goalies Rick Best and Tony Esposito. Don't know what happened to the Esposito kid after college.
              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                yes, it was all for the movie. i believe you will even see special thanks in the credits for OC because they had him alter the truth so such a degree. (they implied that Mac was known to the BU guys early when they were in the bar talking about the test Herbie had given them and Mac and Rizzo waved to each other - which prompted OC's rant).

there was also no run-in, fight between OC and Mac during practice (my wife asked OC that when we saw him right after the movie came out. )
                Yes to say Miracle was "Disney-fied" quite a bit is a vast understatement. Still a good flick though

I love the second article mookie posted...do you think the author was crying in his beer as he typed it? He sounded like any random poster on here after their team loses in OT
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  Bowling Green vs. UMD 1984
                  4 overtime's in the championship game. BGU 5 - UMD 4 - still remember the game and many of the details to this day.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...tillVivid.html
                  I would argue this game was the culmination of one of the best, and possibly the most important, Frozen Fours of all time.

People forget that before the '84 Frozen Four, college hockey was basically the WCHA. Occasionally BU or Cornell were permitted some success, but the WCHA had won 29 of the previous 37 titles, and frequently had the runner-up as well.

This was about the time ESPN was looking for broadcast material, and their broadcasts of the games with Tom Mees in the mid to late '80's helped fuel excitement over the Frozen Four.

UMD beat UND in ot. Bowling Green won a tight 2-1 game over MSU. UND then beat MSU in ot in the "meaningless" consolation game. The 4 ot epic then followed.

The excitement of that thrilling Frozen Four, followed the next year when both semi's went 3 ot's. We ended up with 4-5 great Frozen Fours in a row, all filled with ot's, thrilling finishes, and wins by teams from a cross section of conferences. I've always thought the 1984 Frozen Four is really the beginning of the modern era of college hockey, one not dominated entirely by one conference. And it's all friggin' Duluth's fault.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Hey Mookie thanx for the great post ! I remember watching that game . 1976 Gophers were bad boys. They were a fun team to watch

Comment

My personel favorite memory is Gopher Mike Polich screaming in to the BU zone and lifting in a beautifull shot with about a minute left in the 1974 semi finals in Boston. I will never forget that shot

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I love the second article mookie posted...do you think the author was crying in his beer as he typed it? He sounded like any random poster on here after their team loses in OT
                        The only way the article could have been better is if the auther had said "BU was wicked robbed."

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I would argue this game was the culmination of one of the best, and possibly the most important, Frozen Fours of all time.

People forget that before the '84 Frozen Four, college hockey was basically the WCHA. Occasionally BU or Cornell were permitted some success, but the WCHA had won 29 of the previous 37 titles, and frequently had the runner-up as well.

This was about the time ESPN was looking for broadcast material, and their broadcasts of the games with Tom Mees in the mid to late '80's helped fuel excitement over the Frozen Four.

UMD beat UND in ot. Bowling Green won a tight 2-1 game over MSU. UND then beat MSU in ot in the "meaningless" consolation game. The 4 ot epic then followed.

The excitement of that thrilling Frozen Four, followed the next year when both semi's went 3 ot's. We ended up with 4-5 great Frozen Fours in a row, all filled with ot's, thrilling finishes, and wins by teams from a cross section of conferences. I've always thought the 1984 Frozen Four is really the beginning of the modern era of college hockey, one not dominated entirely by one conference. And it's all friggin' Duluth's fault.
                        Very interesting.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                          Hey Mookie thanx for the great post ! I remember watching that game . 1976 Gophers were bad boys. They were a fun team to watch
                          But c'mon, if Herb wanted to put a hatchet guy out there he wouldn't have used Russ, he had Holmgren for that!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            But c'mon, if Herb wanted to put a hatchet guy out there he wouldn't have used Russ, he had Holmgren for that!
                            I heard from a guy on that team that the worst fight ever was between Holmgrin and Russ during a practice that started on the ice in practice resumed in the locker room and concluded in the parking lot. They were both tough guys. That 76 team didnt quit they were behind in the championship game by 3 and came back and won it

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                              I wish I was around to see them. I love watching the old videos of Tom Vannelli punching someone in the face at the drop of the puck, when he was taking the faceoff.
                              Last edited by state of hockey; 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

1991 St Paul Civic Center:

Plandowski scoooooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeesssssss!!!

Northern Michigan 8 Boston U 7, 3 OT
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X