Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I wasn't born then, but Dan Lodboa (a defenseman!) had a natural hat trick within 7:14 during the third period of the championship game in 1970 to complete a comeback over Clarkson and cap off the undefeated season. He scored an even strength, SHG, and PPG, including a go-ahead goal and the eventual game winner.
    DON'T REMIND ME!!!!!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      You forgot goaltender Kevin McCabe!!! IIRC (or as Kevin tells it), the last game of all of this 3 varsity seasons ended with an OT loss (forget the hangover consolation game). However, the proud Papa in 2007 saw his son backstop his HS to the Maryland state championship.
      joecct, I'd forgotten KM until you mentioned his name. Did he play at Mount St. Charles?
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        I wasn't born then, but Dan Lodboa (a defenseman!) had a natural hat trick within 7:14 during the third period of the championship game in 1970 to complete a comeback over Clarkson and cap off the undefeated season. He scored an even strength, SHG, and PPG, including a go-ahead goal and the eventual game winner.
        I saw Lodboa play many times. An absolutely terrific defenseman, period.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          2004 Fleet Center Boston
          DU 1 Maine 0
          DU playedthe last minute or so with 2 players in the penalty box and Maine played 6 on 3 for 1:18.
          Goalie Adam Berkhoel, a couple of shots that hit the pipe and the DU defense including Freshman and future Hobey Baker winner, Matt Carle, held off the Black Bears for Denver's first NCAA Championship in 35 years.

In January DU was ranked 7th in the WCHA, March 5 Senior forward, 2nd leading scorer and Alternate Captain Connor James broke his leg, Denver lost in the 1st Round of the WCHA playoffs to Colorado College and faced the unenviable task of beating #1 seed North Dakota(1st in WCHA) in the NCAA regionals. And they did 1-0. That game was described by INCH or CHN as one of the 10 Best College hockey games ever.

Connor James came back for the Frozen Four and DU, with a come from behind 5-3 victory, beat a Minnesota Duluth team(2nd in WCHA) that included that year's Hobey Baker winner, Junior Lessard (??). Coach George Gwozdecky suspended Senior forward, 3rd leading scorer, Lukas Dora for the Championship Game, "violating team rules."(believe Dora had the game winning goal or a multi pouint effort against UMD, but couldn't find a box score) Despite that and facing Maine's All American goalie, Jimmy Howard, DU prevailed on a 1st period goal by Gabe Gauthier assisted by Connor James.

All American, Team Captain,Defenseman Ryan Caldwell, James and Berkhoel were named to the All Tournament Team. Berkhoel got the MVP

Had to be the longest minute in Frozen Four history!

And, yes, I am a DU alum and fan.
          That game was 59 minutes of abolute boredom followed by the (up until last year) most exciting minute of college hockey I've ever seen. It's a shame that both teams played the game not to lose rather than to win.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
            I'm trying to recall. The other semi-final was Minnesota-BU and I don't remember a fight in that one. I think it was Brown-Tech.

Hey, nice job as usual showing up nineteen minutes after the opening faceoff. Catching a last pitcher or five at Chez Wiste, were we?
            I'm thinking I remember Brown being involved. And, yes, it's quite likely there were last minute beers. Here's another tidbit - one of the guys I went to the game with caught a flying stick with his forehead. Went home with a headache and a nice souvenir.
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

joecct, I'd forgotten KM until you mentioned his name. Did he play at Mount St. Charles?
              OMG, you're Bob Norton??!!!!??!!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                OMG, you're Bob Norton??!!!!??!!
                Only on Halloween.

Comment

That game was 59 minutes of abolute boredom followed by the (up until last year) most exciting minute of college hockey I've ever seen. It's a shame that both teams played the game not to lose rather than to win.
                  A little more about that FF: UMD went home after losing in the semis so Gwoz sent his players to the Hobey presentation, figuring it'd be nice if Lessard had somebody rooting for him, and exposure to the event would be a good thing. Dora's suspension is still a deep, dark secret, to my knowledge, the reason for it hasn't leaked out. Later, when the Pioneers went to the White House, President Bush mentioned Dora by name. Obviously somebody fed him the info, a nice touch.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'm trying to recall. The other semi-final was Minnesota-BU and I don't remember a fight in that one. I think it was Brown-Tech.

Hey, nice job as usual showing up nineteen minutes after the opening faceoff. Catching a last pitcher or five at Chez Wiste, were we?
                    Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                    I was at that FF. I remember walking in and there was 1:08 on the clock in the first period and there were sticks, gloves and helmets all over the ice. Probably the biggest fight in FF history. Not sure if it was Brown/Tech - could have been Minnesota.
                    I'm thinking I remember Brown being involved. And, yes, it's quite likely there were last minute beers. Here's another tidbit - one of the guys I went to the game with caught a flying stick with his forehead. Went home with a headache and a nice souvenir.
                    y'all seriously don't remember this!?!?!

was between BU and the gophs... even made it into the plot lines for that movie ya might have seen... "Miracle"
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSmooth View Post
                      My personal favorite so far is 2006 with Wisconsin defending its home state in Milwaukee. Tom Gilbert's Powerplay goal, BC ringing one off the post with about 1.5 seconds left...that was a great moment.
                      I second that one. I was at that game and it was insane. I still have the photo of the pending fight between the BC eagle and Bucky.
                      Originally posted by Skeeterman
                      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Thank you...I fell asleep twice during that game! Up until the end that game set hockey back at least 20 years

The first title game I ever watched was the BC vs. UND game and I made it to my cousins house just in time to watch Kolanos score...I smiled because I friggin hate UND

edit: mookie I wasn't even born yet and I knew about the fight in 1976 partially because of Miracle and partially because I know a lot of old people
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was at that FF. I remember walking in and there was 1:08 on the clock in the first period and there were sticks, gloves and helmets all over the ice. Probably the biggest fight in FF history. Not sure if it was Brown/Tech - could have been Minnesota.
                          Semis at Meehan in the sixties.
                          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Thank you...I fell asleep twice during that game! Up until the end that game set hockey back at least 20 years

The first title game I ever watched was the BC vs. UND game and I made it to my cousins house just in time to watch Kolanos score...I smiled because I friggin hate UND

edit: mookie I wasn't even born yet and I knew about the fight in 1976 partially because of Miracle and partially because I know a lot of old people
                            completely agree with u about that denver-maine game in '04 that was PAINFUL to watch till the end (and def was glad that ref who called the garbage 2nd penalty on denver didn't decide the game even tho he tried).

that kolanos goal for bc in '01 would have to rank as my favorite frozen four moment. i'm a diehard bc fan but also a diehard boston sports fan and that was the first time in my life i had seen my team win and i'll never forget that feeling.... obv the patriots, red sox, and celtics have all followed since as well as another bc title in '08 and i'd have to confess to being spoiled since then (we always want more tho don't we?!?!).

.....one thing i didn't like in miracle (probably the only thing) was when they referred to that '76 fight and o'callahan says he wanted to win a national championship in college..... HE DID IN '78 and was the m.o.p. of the frozen four!!!!
                            NATIONAL CHAMPIONS- 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010
                            HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS- 9
                            BEANPOT TITLES- We'll let BU fans keep track

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11 View Post
                              completely agree with u about that denver-maine game in '04 that was PAINFUL to watch till the end (and def was glad that ref who called the garbage 2nd penalty on denver didn't decide the game even tho he tried).

that kolanos goal for bc in '01 would have to rank as my favorite frozen four moment. i'm a diehard bc fan but also a diehard boston sports fan and that was the first time in my life i had seen my team win and i'll never forget that feeling.... obv the patriots, red sox, and celtics have all followed since as well as another bc title in '08 and i'd have to confess to being spoiled since then (we always want more tho don't we?!?!).

.....one thing i didn't like in miracle (probably the only thing) was when they referred to that '76 fight and o'callahan says he wanted to win a national championship in college..... HE DID IN '78 and was the m.o.p. of the frozen four!!!!
                              In the movie, he said it cost him a ring. Sure, he won a ring in 78, but it still cost him the ring.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage4.jpg******

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage5.jpg******

*****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/1976NCfinalpage6.jpg******
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X