Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    games with an * weren't considered
    Asterisk? What did Michigan do wrong?

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Re: Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    The NCAA seems to have listed the top 10 moments of the last 17 years. So nothing happened at the FF between 1994 and 2002?
    What about the most thrilling OT (triple OT to be specific) game I've ever seen (college or pro) when Maine's Blair Allison and Michigan's Marty Turco battled it out in the Semi-finals in Providence? That was the very first FF game I ever attended and was immediately hooked.
    games with an * weren't considered

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied

Sounds like the NCAA just picked the top moments from championship games in the 21st Century, and tossed in one semifinal game for reasons.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFan86-87
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    So, did you ever write this article? I ask because the NCAA posted their own top 10 of the past 25 seasons before this year's Frozen Four.

The top 10 Frozen Four moments of the past 25 years.
    The top #FrozenFour moment of the past 25 years features the greatest comeback in history as @TerrierHockey scored twice in the final minute of regulation to tie it and then in OT to win it in 2009.
    Moment No. 2 - The first trip to the Xcel Energy Center brought one of the greatest games in Frozen Four history as @GopherHockey scored with less than a minute remaining in regulation to tie it and the in OT to win it.
    Moment number 3 features current @DetroitRedWings​ star Justin Abdelkader scoring with less than 20 seconds remaining in regulation to give @MSU_Hockey the national title in 2007.
    Moment No. 4! @BCHockey wins its first NCAA title in 52 years after seeing North Dakota tie the game with less than a minute remaining in regulation in 2001.
    Moment No. 5! @DU_Hockey survives a Maine shooting gallery as the Black Bears had a 6-on-3 for the final 90 seconds of the game to win the 2004 #FrozenFour, 1-0.
    No. 6 - @BadgerMhockey held off Boston College by literally inches in 2006.
    Moment No. 7 is clearly one of the most dramatic in #FrozenFour semifinal history! The amazing end to the 2014 Minnesota-North Dakota game.
    For the No. 8 moment, we flash back to 2011 and the last time the #FrozenFour was in Saint Paul and @UMDmenshockey beat Michigan in overtime.
    The No. 9 moment of the last 25 years features @DU_Hockey's Jarid Lukosevicius scoring a hat trick in the 2nd period of the 2017 final, which included 2 within 16 seconds, the fastest back-to-back goals by the same player in title game history.
    No. 10 - Current @NHLFlyers Shayne Gostisbehere posting an incredible +7 in @Unionmhockey's 7-4 victory over Minnesota in 2014.

Their top 6 all happened before 2010 and it would be interesting to compare them with your choices.

Sean
    The NCAA seems to have listed the top 10 moments of the last 17 years. So nothing happened at the FF between 1994 and 2002?
    What about the most thrilling OT (triple OT to be specific) game I've ever seen (college or pro) when Maine's Blair Allison and Michigan's Marty Turco battled it out in the Semi-finals in Providence? That was the very first FF game I ever attended and was immediately hooked.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    I'm working on an article about the top 10 moments in FF history. Seeing as I don't know nearly as much about past FF's as a lot of people on here, I decided to see what you guys and gals think are the top moments. There have been a lot of OT games, so some of those will obviously be in there, but do any stick out more than others? Any spectacular plays? Great storylines? Shocking moments? Feel free to list as many as you want. Thanks in advance.
    So, did you ever write this article? I ask because the NCAA posted their own top 10 of the past 25 seasons before this year's Frozen Four.

The top 10 Frozen Four moments of the past 25 years.
    The top #FrozenFour moment of the past 25 years features the greatest comeback in history as @TerrierHockey scored twice in the final minute of regulation to tie it and then in OT to win it in 2009.
    Moment No. 2 - The first trip to the Xcel Energy Center brought one of the greatest games in Frozen Four history as @GopherHockey scored with less than a minute remaining in regulation to tie it and the in OT to win it.
    Moment number 3 features current @DetroitRedWings​ star Justin Abdelkader scoring with less than 20 seconds remaining in regulation to give @MSU_Hockey the national title in 2007.
    Moment No. 4! @BCHockey wins its first NCAA title in 52 years after seeing North Dakota tie the game with less than a minute remaining in regulation in 2001.
    Moment No. 5! @DU_Hockey survives a Maine shooting gallery as the Black Bears had a 6-on-3 for the final 90 seconds of the game to win the 2004 #FrozenFour, 1-0.
    No. 6 - @BadgerMhockey held off Boston College by literally inches in 2006.
    Moment No. 7 is clearly one of the most dramatic in #FrozenFour semifinal history! The amazing end to the 2014 Minnesota-North Dakota game.
    For the No. 8 moment, we flash back to 2011 and the last time the #FrozenFour was in Saint Paul and @UMDmenshockey beat Michigan in overtime.
    The No. 9 moment of the last 25 years features @DU_Hockey's Jarid Lukosevicius scoring a hat trick in the 2nd period of the 2017 final, which included 2 within 16 seconds, the fastest back-to-back goals by the same player in title game history.
    No. 10 - Current @NHLFlyers Shayne Gostisbehere posting an incredible +7 in @Unionmhockey's 7-4 victory over Minnesota in 2014.

Their top 6 all happened before 2010 and it would be interesting to compare them with your choices.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• thecomicbookguy
    replied

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    I speculate that McClanahan was "selcted" for the O'C fight to introduce him to the audience to setup the scene later in the movie in which Brooks tears into the team between periods of the Sweden game.
    Well, also to show discretely the division between the Boston and Minnesota players. It also sets up the scene outside the bus, with OC, Mac, and Rizzo arguing the late addition of Harrer (?) as disrupting the "family" they'd become.

(Interesting note about that scene during intermission in the Sweden game: Mac didn't really understand why Brooks acted that way...until he saw the scene in the movie.)

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    1991 St Paul Civic Center:

Plandowski scoooooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeesssssss!!!

Northern Michigan 8 Boston U 7, 3 OT
    That game has too much scoring, IMHO. It was a run and gun track meet.

Leave a comment:

• buoldtimer
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    yes, it was all for the movie. i believe you will even see special thanks in the credits for OC because they had him alter the truth so such a degree. (they implied that Mac was known to the BU guys early when they were in the bar talking about the test Herbie had given them and Mac and Rizzo waved to each other - which prompted OC's rant).

there was also no run-in, fight between OC and Mac during practice (my wife asked OC that when we saw him right after the movie came out. )
    I speculate that McClanahan was "selcted" for the O'C fight to introduce him to the audience to setup the scene later in the movie in which Brooks tears into the team between periods of the Sweden game.

Leave a comment:

• Turk 77
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I saw those games. Not being a MN fan I can't speak to which was most heartbreaking, but I would think the '87 game would have been the easiest to take. MSU was a better team than MN in that game, even with the fluke goal. And neither team was going to beat North Dakota that year.
    I thought we had outplayed them pretty good though . Ron Mason said something to that effect after the game . You are right UND had a killer team that year.Those four years in a row the Gophers had good teams only one great one thier 88-89 team it took me 13 years to get over that loss

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
    I remember that it was a great game. The 86 87 88 & 89 Gophers all suffered heartbreaking losses I think the 87 loss to MSU and the 89 loss to Harvard were the worst . But they were all tough
    I saw those games. Not being a MN fan I can't speak to which was most heartbreaking, but I would think the '87 game would have been the easiest to take. MSU was a better team than MN in that game, even with the fluke goal. And neither team was going to beat North Dakota that year.

Leave a comment:

• Turk 77
    replied

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    Pete Lappin broke a 2-2 tie with the GW against Minnesota with 12 seconds left in regulation (1988 semifinal).
    I remember that it was a great game. The 86 87 88 & 89 Gophers all suffered heartbreaking losses I think the 87 loss to MSU and the 89 loss to Harvard were the worst . But they were all tough

Leave a comment:

• TimU
    replied

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    Abdelkader's game winner with 18.9 left in 2007 for MSU is my favorite.
    Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    That was the latest regulation game winner in Frozen Four history.
    Pete Lappin broke a 2-2 tie with the GW against Minnesota with 12 seconds left in regulation (1988 semifinal).

Leave a comment:

• Turk 77
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I wish I was around to see them. I love watching the old videos of Tom Vannelli punching someone in the face at the drop of the puck, when he was taking the faceoff.
    I think that was what was so hard about this year. Being a fan of this team for a long time they had a certain bravado about them they were tough especially the 70s teams and to watch them go up to Grand Forks this year and be intimidated without any kind of response was so unlike Minnesota teams coached by Brooks or Woog just an observation

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Rensselaer 5, Minnesota 4 (ot)

Sean
    Too bad that as a six-year old I knew nothing about hockey or RPI.

Leave a comment:

• Turk 77
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    1991 St Paul Civic Center:

Plandowski scoooooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeesssssss!!!

Northern Michigan 8 Boston U 7, 3 OT
    I was at this game it was a great game. After the second overtime a drunk wisconsin fan shouted STILL YOUR NATIONAL CHAMPION WISCONSIN BADGERS ! He was right they were still the defending champs . It was a good laugh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X