• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM Offseason Thread - building for a 3rd Straight Bid

Four months six days....

Let's go cats

Comment

Great article on Brickley but I hope he hangs around long enough to play at least one season witrh Girgensons, and two would be a bonus for us fans from either player.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        Great article on Brickley but I hope he hangs around long enough to play at least one season witrh Girgensons, and two would be a bonus for us fans from either player.
        I've been having the same thought. This kids should be a great player and as such becomes a risk to leave early. It comes with the territory but, I hope he sticks around for a while. Clearly we will see him for at least a year and hopefully 3 at a minimum.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I've been having the same thought. This kids should be a great player and as such becomes a risk to leave early. It comes with the territory but, I hope he sticks around for a while. Clearly we will see him for at least a year and hopefully 3 at a minimum.
          It would be nice if he stayed long enough to have him and Girgensons on the same club.

Comment

The good news is that neither of them are likely to leave real quickly unless they put up big numbers, but if they do put up big numbers that is the price of success for us fans.

I would guess they both stay for two years, maybe three if they really value the education because one academic year is easier to do over the summers than two or more. But of course it also all depends on who owns their rights and what those clubs want.

Go Cats.

Comment

The off-season is boring and this thread seems to be stuck so I thought that some wild speculation was in order. As such, here is my proposed lineup for October.

Downing - Stalberg - McCarthy
              Burrows - Brickely - Stacey
              White - Marshall - Pacan
              Albertson - Lenz - Nilsoon-Roos

Miller- Franzon
              Medvec- Mackenzie
              Lawson - Herrington/Griem

That leaves :
              Herrington, DeCenzo, and Leonard on the bench. Although I could see Albertson switching with Leonard.

Regardless, this is entirely speculation and for enjoyment purposes only, but UVM has 3 very talented and strong forward scoring lines. And a D that should be very good as long as they find some consistency.

I could also see Seb at wing and McCarthy moved to center, but Seb split time last season and I think Sneddon will keep him at center and leave McCarthy at wing as he seems to be more of a natural scorer and Stalberg has great defensive tendencies.

Eitherway, should be an exciting year.

Comment

I agree that there should be three strong forward lines barring injury and assuming that the freshmen contribute and the sophomores step up - which I think is likely - I like Stalburg, McCarthy, Pacan and Roos a lot. they are going to be a great class.

The 4th line is likely not going to be much of a scoring threat but hopefully they can cycle the puck and keep it out of their own zone well enough to earn their chunk of ice time.

I think the younger Herrington and DeCenzo are both going to earn more PT time than you indicate. There should be good healthy competition at forward to get on that fourth line.

I think the freshmen D that has good O stats is going to play - I forgot his name but it has a lot of vowels in it. He seemed like a real good late addition.

four months until the first game

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                  I agree that there should be three strong forward lines barring injury and assuming that the freshmen contribute and the sophomores step up - which I think is likely - I like Stalburg, McCarthy, Pacan and Roos a lot. they are going to be a great class.

The 4th line is likely not going to be much of a scoring threat but hopefully they can cycle the puck and keep it out of their own zone well enough to earn their chunk of ice time.

I think the younger Herrington and DeCenzo are both going to earn more PT time than you indicate. There should be good healthy competition at forward to get on that fourth line.

I think the freshmen D that has good O stats is going to play - I forgot his name but it has a lot of vowels in it. He seemed like a real good late addition.

four months until the first game
                  I thought DeCenzo would play more as well, but he really took a step back last season. Maybe he had an off year, but he went from 44pts in 60 games a season ago to 30pts in 60 games. A half point a game just isnt all that impressive. As for the younger Herrington, I admittedly do not know much about him. Hopefully he comes in and pushes for some ice time and keeps the other players on their toes. Eitherway, they appear to be deep enough to work in a few guys and have some depth in the event of an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    The off-season is boring and this thread seems to be stuck so I thought that some wild speculation was in order. As such, here is my proposed lineup for October.

Downing - Stalberg - McCarthy
                    Burrows - Brickely - Stacey
                    White - Marshall - Pacan
                    Albertson - Lenz - Nilsoon-Roos

Miller- Franzon
                    Medvec- Mackenzie
                    Lawson - Herrington/Griem

That leaves :
                    Herrington, DeCenzo, and Leonard on the bench. Although I could see Albertson switching with Leonard.

Regardless, this is entirely speculation and for enjoyment purposes only, but UVM has 3 very talented and strong forward scoring lines. And a D that should be very good as long as they find some consistency.

I could also see Seb at wing and McCarthy moved to center, but Seb split time last season and I think Sneddon will keep him at center and leave McCarthy at wing as he seems to be more of a natural scorer and Stalberg has great defensive tendencies.

Eitherway, should be an exciting year.
                    How about the following: It looks like there will be 15 forwards based on Ted Ryan's blog a while back, so there can be 5 lines

Line 1 – Downing/ Lenz/ Brickley
                    Downing is the leading returning scoring forward coming into this season with 45 points. He has been given the leadership role of an assistant captain and has something to prove after having been suspended last year for a couple of games. I think he will come out with an Irwin like “I have a point to prove attitude”. I just hope that it does not result in the same selfish play of Irwin, where when the puck hit his stick, it came to a stop and a shot resulted -dispite the fact a better scoring option was available. Lenz and Brickley played together in Des Moines and put up some nice goal totals last season – 21 in 59 games for Lenz and 22 in 52 games for Brickley. This line probably passes the puck and Downing benefits if he can snipe a few.

Line 2 – Burrows/Stalberg/B.Herrington
                    Burrows should benefit from having a pass first center who can be creative and find him in the shooting lanes. Stalberg totally impressed me with how he took over in the 2nd half of the season with his play. I really think he will be drafted at the end of June but I am guessing he might hope not to be so he can remain a free agent. I think this kid plays in the pros after his college career is over. Herrington put up some decent numbers on a Monarch’s team in his 2 years. 36 goals in 82 regular season games is not shabby. But I am more intrigued with the idea of a 6’4” power forward crashing the net or playing physical in the corners.

Line 3 – Stacey/McCarthy/Pacan
                    Stacey and McCarthy are the creative ones on this line. Pacan is the bull who goes to the net or to the corners. This line will be the line that will most likely pass the puck back to the defensemen and let them fire away. Stacey is a senior and has missed a lot of games with injuries in his career. If healthy, I feel he can control the game from anywhere on the ice. McCarthy (like Stalberg) played both center and wing last year but I believe his value is more at center since he can stickhandle like very few can plus he will pass the puck if someone is open.

Line 4 – Nilsson-Roos/Marshall/DeCenzo
                    N-Roos deserves a better fate and should be on a line that can score. If Burrows had not been moved to forward, I could see him on that 2nd line above. But Sneddon plays all 4 lines with some regularity and there is no shame to being on the 4th line. Marshall is at a crossroad in my opinion. Here is an NHL draft pick who has 2 goals in 57 career games. Last year he got a chance to play on all 4 lines, yet only scored one goal (vs. Maine, on a slap shot from the faceoff dots, hardly where you’d expect him to score from). I could easily see him going from being in the lineup to being out of it. DeCenzo probably is too small to be a checking line player and his plus/minus in the USHL would indicate that he plays a one way game (a -60 in 132 career games). But I think he gets a shot at playing since he has 2+ years in a high level junior league (USHL). Perhaps he played on some crappy teams with a poor coach. I am willing to consider that as a likely scenario.

Line 5 – Leonard/White/Albertson
                    Leonard will be the guy who would take DeCenzo’s place if he proves to be a one way player. He proved to be a catalyst last year with energy, no reason to think he can’t do the same again his senior year. White is an unknown. Have to believe he will have an adjustment period coming off AAA hockey (way below the junior level) to D1 hockey. But I would love to be proven wrong. Albertson is a big body and hopefully he is working hard to earn more playing time this season.

Defenseman Pairings

Medvec (L) and Miller (R)
                    MacKenzie (L) and Lawson (L)
                    Franzon (R) and whoever steps up in practice – L.Herrington (R), Bruneteau or Griem.

I think Medvec and Miller will be the shut down defensive pairing, yet I think they both have offensive upside. MacKenzie and Lawson are both 2 way D, with more offensive tendencies, which might mean whichever goalie (Madore or Vazzano –times 2) who is playing, sees an odd man rush or 2. L.Herrington has had 2 years to develop and one would think he can play ahead of 2 incoming freshmen. I know nothing of Bruneteau or Griem but look forward to seeing both at some point next season.
                    Last edited by observer85; 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM.
                    Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                      How about the following: It looks like there will be 15 forwards based on Ted Ryan's blog a while back, so there can be 5 lines

Line 1 – Downing/ Lenz/ Brickley
                      Downing is the leading returning scoring forward coming into this season with 45 points. He has been given the leadership role of an assistant captain and has something to prove after having been suspended last year for a couple of games. I think he will come out with an Irwin like “I have a point to prove attitude”. I just hope that it does not result in the same selfish play of Irwin, where when the puck hit his stick, it came to a stop and a shot resulted -dispite the fact a better scoring option was available. Lenz and Brickley played together in Des Moines and put up some nice goal totals last season – 21 in 59 games for Lenz and 22 in 52 games for Brickley. This line probably passes the puck and Downing benefits if he can snipe a few.

Line 2 – Burrows/Stalberg/B.Herrington
                      Burrows should benefit from having a pass first center who can be creative and find him in the shooting lanes. Stalberg totally impressed me with how he took over in the 2nd half of the season with his play. I really think he will be drafted at the end of June but I am guessing he might hope not to be so he can remain a free agent. I think this kid plays in the pros after his college career is over. Herrington put up some decent numbers on a Monarch’s team in his 2 years. 36 goals in 82 regular season games is not shabby. But I am more intrigued with the idea of a 6’4” power forward crashing the net or playing physical in the corners.

Line 3 – Stacey/McCarthy/Pacan
                      Stacey and McCarthy are the creative ones on this line. Pacan is the bull who goes to the net or to the corners. This line will be the line that will most likely pass the puck back to the defensemen and let them fire away. Stacey is a senior and has missed a lot of games with injuries in his career. If healthy, I feel he can control the game from anywhere on the ice. McCarthy (like Stalberg) played both center and wing last year but I believe his value is more at center since he can stickhandle like very few can plus he will pass the puck if someone is open.

Line 4 – Nilsson-Roos/Marshall/DeCenzo
                      N-Roos deserves a better fate and should be on a line that can score. If Burrows had not been moved to forward, I could see him on that 2nd line above. But Sneddon plays all 4 lines with some regularity and there is no shame to being on the 4th line. Marshall is at a crossroad in my opinion. Here is an NHL draft pick who has 2 goals in 57 career games. Last year he got a chance to play on all 4 lines, yet only scored one goal (vs. Maine, on a slap shot from the faceoff dots, hardly where you’d expect him to score from). I could easily see him going from being in the lineup to being out of it. DeCenzo probably is too small to be a checking line player and his plus/minus in the USHL would indicate that he plays a one way game (a -60 in 132 career games). But I think he gets a shot at playing since he has 2+ years in a high level junior league (USHL). Perhaps he played on some crappy teams with a poor coach. I am willing to consider that as a likely scenario.

Line 5 – Leonard/White/Albertson
                      Leonard will be the guy who would take DeCenzo’s place if he proves to be a one way player. He proved to be a catalyst last year with energy, no reason to think he can’t do the same again his senior year. White is an unknown. Have to believe he will have an adjustment period coming off AAA hockey (way below the junior level) to D1 hockey. But I would love to be proven wrong. Albertson is a big body and hopefully he is working hard to earn more playing time this season.

Defenseman Pairings

Medvec (L) and Miller (R)
                      MacKenzie (L) and Lawson (L)
                      Franzon (R) and whoever steps up in practice – L.Herrington (R), Bruneteau or Griem.

I think Medvec and Miller will be the shut down defensive pairing, yet I think they both have offensive upside. MacKenzie and Lawson are both 2 way D, with more offensive tendencies, which might mean whichever goalie (Madore or Vazzano –times 2) who is playing, sees an odd man rush or 2. L.Herrington has had 2 years to develop and one would think he can play ahead of 2 incoming freshmen. I know nothing of Bruneteau or Griem but look forward to seeing both at some point next season.
                      Nice analysis Observer :

But I disagree with a few of your placements.

Especially on Matt White, he did take a year off and play less competitive hockey. ALthough he took the time off he I think he steps up just fine. Central Scouting still has him around 100 going into this years draft. He will be drafted, and if the NHL is still that high on him, I suspect he will be playing 3rd or 2nd line. Not sitting out of the line up. While his timing maybe a bit off due to the increased speed of the game at the NCAA level, his skills are still there and I really think he will be a major contributer.

I also don't see a freshman Lenz centering the first line ahead of Stalberg, who IMO is the best player on the ice this year, and McCarthy (possiby the best scorer). I think there are enough good upperclassmen that you won't see any freshman on the top line. That said Brickely will make a run at it.

I also think Leonard will see more ice time this year at the expense of DeCenzo who had a mediocre season this past year. Leonard has that energy that Sneddon really likes to put on the 4th line. Leonard has always been a player that knows his job and does it 110%, perfect 4th liner IMO.

But of course this is pure speculation. I agree with also with your assessments with the D. Lawson and Mack are much more offensive minded then Medvec and Miller. I think Sneddon will split them, keeping one of his more offensive minded Dmen paired with one of the team leaders, Medvec-Miller. I thought Franzon played great last year as a freshman and I think he is going to be groomed for a "C" so I expect him to see sometime with Miller or Medvec as well.

Either way, Sneddon needs to get these guys scoring in bunches. I think the talent is there for three offensively dangerous lines. If the D and Madore can play well consistently UVM will be looking good.

The trips to the NCAA and the success of UVM players in the NHL and in reaching the NHL has started to pay off in getting top prospects. UVM needs a new arena to really compete with the big programs. Here's hoping that moves along as the economy slowly recovers a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Nice analysis Observer :

But I disagree with a few of your placements.

Especially on Matt White, he did take a year off and play less competitive hockey. ALthough he took the time off he I think he steps up just fine. Central Scouting still has him around 100 going into this years draft. He will be drafted, and if the NHL is still that high on him, I suspect he will be playing 3rd or 2nd line. Not sitting out of the line up. While his timing maybe a bit off due to the increased speed of the game at the NCAA level, his skills are still there and I really think he will be a major contributer.
                        But White is still an 18 year old without recent junior experience. The NHL drafts on projected expectations. Hasn't really worked out for Matt Marshall who was also a top 100 on the Central Scouting list and today, he would not even get a snift based on his first 2 years at UVM. Guess time will tell.

I also don't see a freshman Lenz centering the first line ahead of Stalberg, who IMO is the best player on the ice this year, and McCarthy (possiby the best scorer). I think there are enough good upperclassmen that you won't see any freshman on the top line. That said Brickely will make a run at it.
                        I have Lenz centering Brickley and Downing. Not necessarily a 1st line. Sneddon's 1st and 2nd lines are interchangable. Lenz, while a freshman, is a 1989 birthyear. He turned 21 on April 8th. So when the season starts, he will be a 21.5 year old. He is older than Stalberg and McCarthy. I am thinking having played together with Brickley all last season will prove to be beneficial.

I also think Leonard will see more ice time this year at the expense of DeCenzo who had a mediocre season this past year. Leonard has that energy that Sneddon really likes to put on the 4th line. Leonard has always been a player that knows his job and does it 110%, perfect 4th liner IMO.
                        Leonard is a complimentary player who has had to work real hard in practice to get a shot at the lineup - based on his interviews in the past couple of years. No doubt he is an energy guy, perhaps he will be this years version of what Andy Corran was 3 years ago, Reese Wisnowski was 2 years ago and what Jon Higgins was last year. A senior who is a local kid and fills a role with passion, which is not always a bad thing.

But of course this is pure speculation. I agree with also with your assessments with the D. Lawson and Mack are much more offensive minded then Medvec and Miller. I think Sneddon will split them, keeping one of his more offensive minded Dmen paired with one of the team leaders, Medvec-Miller. I thought Franzon played great last year as a freshman and I think he is going to be groomed for a "C" so I expect him to see sometime with Miller or Medvec as well.
                        On the UVM website, there is still a line sheet from the Hockey East semi-final game versus Boston College. Medvec was paired with MacKenzie, Miller with Lawson, Franzon with Cullity. I could see these pairings - minus Cullity of course - being used to start the season.

The trips to the NCAA and the success of UVM players in the NHL and in reaching the NHL has started to pay off in getting top prospects. UVM needs a new arena to really compete with the big programs. Here's hoping that moves along as the economy slowly recovers a bit.
                        While a new arena would be nice, I am not convinced it would make that much of a difference. Kids come to different schools for different reasons. Some actually come for the school itself, some for the coaching staff, some for the chance to make a difference and be part of starting a new tradition versus just being a replacement player at a "name" program. Playing in a building with character and a sold out fan base is not a bad thing. They just need to make sure they compete with a nice locker room set up and weight training set up. Similar to what Northeastern did last year.
                        Last edited by observer85; 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM.
                        Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Finally some interesting chatter on this site. Nice work.

I think White will at least get a shot at one of the top three lines. yes he is going to have an adjustment but there is no reason why he can't make it relatively quickly.

I did not know that Lenz' numbers were so similar to Brickley - interesting - although I guess there is a fair amount of age difference.

I don't know if I see Stalburg playing at the NHL level, but he did step up huge in the second half after a fairly disappointing early season and arguably was the best forward in the second half. If that continues then an pro career is viable AND he will be a force in Hockey East. He is excellent on both sides of the puck. I also said his brother would never stick in the NHL because he did not know what D is - but clearly I was wrong there. Of course Toronto does not know what D is but I will still concede I was incorrect. Sebastian is definitely a better two way player at an early stage of his college career. He just does not likely have the same level of offensive upside (speed and nasty shot)

One of the potential upsides for the Cats is that McCarthy and Pacan both came in early last year and were young for freshmen. With a year of experience, maturity, and weights I think there is likely to be a decent step up for each of them that could really make them each a much greater force.

I'm not sure what to think of Stacey. Flashes of brilliance and stretches of mediocrity with many injuries. I'm not counting on him to carry the team but I agree there is upside if he stays healthy and puts it all together.

Marshall. I don't even know what to say. I like his parents FWIW. And he can skate. But the puck WILL NOT stay on his stick. He does not even get to the point where you could say he can't finish, because he does not get many opportunities to even get a shot. We expected him to step up last year and it did not happen. Does it click this year? I'm not counting on it but with those wheels he could be a pleasant surprise.

Downing. Not sure what to say here. Fewer flashes of brilliance than Stacey but still has some. But also has a propensity to disappear for long stretches of periods, games, weekends, months. I'm not sure there is quite as much upside here as there is in Stalburg, McCarthy, Pacan, NRoos.....

Burrows. Was it a fluke or is he a possible monster season waiting to happen? He seems to have a knack for finishing. With a good setup guy he could be a weapon waiting to go on a rampage. I like him up front.

Leonard. I like the energy. I will be suprised if he's not a pretty regular 4th line guy but he's not going to put up Lenes numbers on any line.

D. I still don't understand what happened last year through mid season. too much expectation, too many FF stars in the eyes? I'm THRILLED to see them all coming back (so far at least). They will likely be a force. I like all the returning players. Medvec could have a MONSTER season. I think Mackenzie has offensive ability and agree that Lawson does as well. Franzon was good last year and has upside. Herrington did ok when given a chance but Bruneteau is my dark horse to be a real nice addition and quarterback the power play back to at least mediocrity.

Young Vazzanno may see a fair amount of PT and could even steal the starting goaltender spot.

The big intangible and biggest unknown is team leadership. But I have a suscipion that the D might have that under control this year.

I look for a 4th place finish in HE behind BC, Maine and BU or UNH and sneaking into the tourney. But I am probably more optomistic than most. NU, UNH, BU, and Mack will all be fighting for 3rd and 4th also.

Comment

Nice to see Patrick Sharp lift the cup third after Toews and Hossa last night. He was a very key guy on that championship squad.

I remember when he played center and some D for the Cats under Gilligan. His two seasons in the Gutt were not our best but he was a very good player.

Congrats to him for getting his name on the cup.

Comment

someone suggested that a new rink wouldn't necessarily help recruiting--are you kidding me---.please don't tell that to the administration.

Comment

The new rink is on the short list, but it's still going to be a while due to the grim financial situation resulting from:

the general economy
                                the spend and tax VT legislature which underfunds UVM
                                the many other hungry mouths to feed at UVM (employee unions)

What we as fans can do to help is:

-contribute to the Victory Club
                                -talk up the team and the need for a new venue
                                -attend the games - sell them out - and complain about needing more seats
                                -pack the house so the recruits at least see a supportive crowd, it would be worse to have a nice facility and not enough fans

I'm not a basketball fan but they need the new facility even more than the hockey team

Comment

Working...
                                X